What did you think of the game ? we just found our new hooker ?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s your right to have an opinion and also your right for that opinion to be wrong. And I believe you’ve exercised those rights successfully.
Thank u sir
I can wear that

little birdie told me Meaney’s jersey didn’t need to get sent for laundry
Spotless!
Barely tell he played

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank u sir
I can wear that

little birdie told me Meaney’s jersey didn’t need to get sent for laundry
Spotless!
Barely tell he played
Wings not his position, he is definitely fullback. The question is, is he still our best fullback. I’m not sure now.

Last edited:

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney is a weak cream puff whom brings nothing but speed to the team
Gets absolutely man handled every run
Runs more sideways than forwards
Doesn’t put his body on the line or ever pins ears back into a collision
Can’t bring down his opp winger and his carry back from kicks are mundane
BULLSHIT! you must be joking, the guy can handle, fullback, winger or center positions and don't forget his a pretty handy goal kicker as well he's pulled of some good solid tackles, if you watched the game today you would have seen a great ball and tackle by him 10metres out from the line, he's got safe hands under the high ball, when he has the opportunity he pins his ears back and has great speed, he sticks to his wing in defense unlike DWZ on the other wing who let to 2 identical trys in on his wing today by being out of position & dropping the ball for a knock on in his own quarter and running 60mtrs sideways across the field the passing it to force our player into touch, Meaney did nothing wrong today so who do you prefer on the wing? well it doesn't matter because I think you'll find that TBAZ will stick with Meaney

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BULLSHIT! you must be joking, the guy can handle, fullback, winger or center positions and don't forget his a pretty handy goal kicker as well he's pulled of some good solid tackles, if you watched the game today you would have seen a great ball and tackle by him 10metres out from the line, he's got safe hands under the high ball, when he has the opportunity he pins his ears back and has great speed, he sticks to his wing in defense unlike DWZ on the other wing who let to 2 identical trys in on his wing today by being out of position & dropping the ball for a knock on in his own quarter and running 60mtrs sideways across the field the passing it to force our player into touch, Meaney did nothing wrong today so who do you prefer on the wing? well it doesn't matter because I think you'll find that TBAZ will stick with Meaney
One positive, possibly the only positive for DWZ is he hasn’t played the ball facing his own goal line this year.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney is definitely no longer our "best fullback" won't be playing there in first grade touch wood Allan stays healthy the whole year and owns that spot.
Good to see Deitz have good input when given his chance, reckon he could be well worth getting into our 30 if it can be done?
Is a battler who is reportedly juggling work and training out of necessity, reckon he could fulfil a role for us and is probably very hungry to make maybe his last shot at some NRL glory a winner.
When I first saw his highlights on here(albeit in lesser grade)immediately saw some decent similarities to Cook...worth a chance I reckon we should sign him up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just read he's a school teacher. It's a great story and I love the persistence of players who keep fighting for their chance til their mid to late twenties.

He certainly played well enough to probably earn a top 30 spot, which would be a huge accomplishment for him. He'd also be the hero of the school next time he goes back. It's a great moment for Deitz and hopefully there are many more to come.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We seemed to struggle early on, but accross 80 mins we were definitely the better team. Maybe thats due to the massive changes shortly after half time, but even still, the only tries we let in were simple overlaps. The try from the scrum was particularly disapointing, but i put that down to game management, and not poor defense. All of our tries were far more impressive, and showed more skill.
I though we did pretty well to wrap up the ball, and our wrestle was much much better,forcing them onto their backs more often then not.
All this said, our starting 13 looked pretty average. But it seemed to me that the whole game plan changed at half time. It was like 2 completely different halves, but not just because of the scoreboard. Come round 1 i think we will see a combination of both halves, and a far more impressive, fluid game.
Every team gets exposed on the flanks at times, but it was disappointing nonetheless. They were a much bigger team, with an experienced halves combination, yet we held the middle, and denied them any opportunity from their forwards, or from high kicks. Much better than anything I've seen for some time. Our second half was a 16-0 domination even though the Sharks looked the more likely side.

I expect our first few rounds will not see many wins - Newcastle is a possible - but we should begin to form a competitive side that many teams will not want to face as the season progresses.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every team gets exposed on the flanks at times, but it was disappointing nonetheless. They were a much bigger team, with an experienced halves combination, yet we held the middle, and denied them any opportunity from their forwards, or from high kicks. Much better than anything I've seen for some time. Our second half was a 16-0 domination even though the Sharks looked the more likely side.

I expect our first few rounds will not see many wins - Newcastle is a possible - but we should begin to form a competitive side that many teams will not want to face as the season progresses.
Totally agree. We were also missimg a host of players. Thompson, RFM, Averilo, Okunbour, Napa, will all make a difference.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like to see Deitz play as it was a great cameo although against the second string pack. However his performance was all instinct, played at speed. Something lacked in a no 9. Certainly needs to be given more opportunities to see what is his potential & also his defence. However could not have been more impressive in such a short minutes.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Our fitness looks like it’s on pointe, we should win a few games at the back end of games solely based on that.

Dietz looks lively, speed off the mark and service was good, better than current options. Similar type to Starling. Could have ourselves a diamond in the rough

Atoni, Ogden & Hetherington all went well, Cotric a handful, liking Shoupp for centre (looked strong) moving Hoppa to wing dropping Meaney.
Allen safe as houses and will turn out to be a solid buy.

The dude with the rats tail, Wakeham, Stimson, Lewis, didn’t really show much.
I thought Ogden was average but agree with everything else.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney did nothing wrong in the game. However wingers in the modern game are strike weapons, able to find try line through a strong defensive lines, act as a destructive extra forward when needed. I just don't see this Meaney.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s try and avoid blowing our loads prematurely. Yes, Deitz played well but he had limited minutes and I doubt he’d have the same impact from the start of the game.
Exactly right.
I still recall us beating Penrith in a trial match a few years ago and the were some ecploded loads over JMK.

And now look,
Everyone wants him sacked.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney did nothing wrong in the game. However wingers in the modern game are strike weapons, able to find try line through a strong defensive lines, act as a destructive extra forward when needed. I just don't see this Meaney.
Wingers need to make the early runs from fielding kicks, while the forwards get back on side - that's where their speed can make a difference. With Ado-Carr coming next season, I'm hoping our wingers will up their performances knowing that one of them will be looking for a team if they don't impress.

Hoppa is one of my concerns this year. He has great hands, but doesn't seem to have the acceleration or strength to make a bust and set up the faster players. Hoping that he is taking the preseason easy, and has more up his sleeve for the real comp. If he could improve his defence, I'd like to see his accurate passing skills trialled at dummy half.

Having said that, I was a hopeless player, so can't offer advice as an expert.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Positives : Atoni, Ogden, Dietz, Schoup, positional switch of Elliot & Jackson, Allen, Cotric, Hetherington, train & trial prop
Neutral: Flanno, Hoppa, Wadddell, Wakeham
Negatives: Lewis, Meaney, Britt, Stimpson, DWZ, Smith

I was most impressed with Allen. Great debut. Clearly someone is getting into Atoni off the paddock and is slowly unlocking his potential. Dietz, if he can defend, may be a real find for us. With 5 players that will come into 1st grade once recovered from injuries and suspensions & once Flanno & cotric settle they will add alot to the team. I dont expect a top 8 but a 9 to 12 is entirely plausible in 2021.

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cmon we all have to agree odgen and atoni improved and I hope Meaney and the wingers do to cause the trail match dwz was shit in defence alright in attack and same for Meaney

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I seen cotric dropped to the wing on the last tackle in defence, but in attack he played in the centre’s...

maybe Barrett wants to use his runs of a kick for good metres to start the sets.
That’s how I saw it

Bulldogs fan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imagine jac, burton, a better centre, and a good hooker if dietz is a dead end