What did you think of the game ? we just found our new hooker ?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all it’s a trial so it means shit there blowing out the cobwebs I remember 2 years ago our reggies team beat a full strength penrith team in a trial, dosent mean nothing we ain’t gonna play this new expansive style in the trial it’s getting through the motions I think they were experimenting the defence the right side needs a hell of a lot of work
Plus a lot of the rest of this playing squad is off contract this year so if they don’t perform they will be moved on

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Be interested to see if anyone seen Deitz play in the mounties v newton game? How he played and how many minutes?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody seems to put shit on Meaney but in my opinion he was much better than DWZ who was caught twice out of position today leading to the sharks 2 tries and ran nearly the width of the field to cause an error during one of our promising attacking raids, Meaney stuck to his wing and did not see much ball due to Cotric running more to the center of the field but still defended well, Hoppa looks very slow & pedestrian in his center position and my feeling is if things don't improve next year we will see
1. Allen
2. Meaney
3. Averillo
4. Cotric
5. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flannigan
8. Jackson
9. Dietz
I also believe our problem of finding our hooker are over , Dietz looks the goods in his first NRL game and will only get better if he gets picked in the squad I hope we have room for him, Anyway I was very happy with the win and even though it was just a trial I feel that we have shown a vast improvement in our attack and defense from the last couple of years and also our fitness, to suggest we will be a real threat to the competition this year and also we have a some good depth to cover injuries and keep all the players on their toes and looking over their shoulders and make sure they put in 100% effort, Congratulations to TBAZ & the boys, good start to the season.
And last but not least Sutton is still a C@&T and I hope he doesn't get to Referee to many of our games this year or we are doomed.
I think most people believe both DWZ and Meaney need to go and many are of the same opinion about Hopa. We couldn't win a comp with any of these 3 in our backline. Okunbor will come into the side when recovered. Maybe bring Schoupp in now and push Hopa to the wing like someone else suggested. Hopa's too slow in both attack and in D to play centre. Offers nothing really. DWZ too unreliable. Meaney's too weak. He can't make any ground which is half of his job as a winger from kick returns etc. He gets pushed back just about every time he takes a carry (actually loses metres)

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who, but someone called for Thompson Atoni starting props.. and I'd have to agree, that is our best option.
Yes i said that definitely our best option

Reactions: GDR

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney is a weak cream puff whom brings nothing but speed to the team
Gets absolutely man handled every run
Runs more sideways than forwards
Doesn’t put his body on the line or ever pins ears back into a collision
Can’t bring down his opp winger and his carry back from kicks are mundane
Have to agree. He doesn't even put "everything" he has into his runs. It's like he does what he has to (bare minimum) trying not to get hurt but that's it.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah so many new players attack will take time to gel you can see barretts attacking style but love the depth in attack and corey allan with his ball skills chiming in at fb will be awesome

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d definitely play him at 14
He won’t have the space and time if he starts
Stuck with jmk for first 30 then deitz can come on
Deitz also had reserve graders around him too
If you add him to our full strength side he may also go to another level
I think he could play the full 80. Just limit his runs to the later part of each half - unless he sees an opportunity earlier of course.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I only watched the second halve of game.

I do think we need to score more points, look at other teams stacking 30-40 points

I think we discussed deitz around 2 weeks ago, good dummy halve passes but his main strengths are just running out of dummy halve, does he set anything up or provide structure?

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney did nothing wrong all game, just limited opportunity like most. said all off season that he and Cotric could build a pretty solid combination.
Watch the reply. Meaney is in the centre’s all game. Very Interesting

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was very Interesting...

I think I like the idea of hoppa on the wing and trying this shoup kid in the centres
Hoppa is way too slow for the wing. Wingers need speed to take advantage of any overlaps and Hoppa will get caught out most of the time

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Iv been very critical of Meaney - basically soft! - but i thought he did ok n the centres yesterday - not great, but his speed stopped the opposition getting on his outside - something the other edge couldnt do. His dummy half runs are much better than his one off the ruck "jogs". A lack of First grade standard outside backs will be a problem - still two spots open in the top 30 so someone might be signed that can fill the void even for the short term
Waddel had a shocker - defensively n with the ball.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
why is no one talking about our shit right side defense? poor reads.... DWZ fuck me... drops the ball cold straight up then get scored on twice shortly after. What is going on with him how did he go from being so good at the end of 2019 to complete and utter shit in the space of 1 season?
To be honest, I’ve never rated him.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crisp try through the hands out wide, nice touch.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Deitz was great. He has potential to be a great first grade dummy half for us. He is quick out of dummy half and seemed to be looking for opportunities any time he could. I know its still early and he has only played 70 odd nsw cup games but I do believe he offers more than what we currently have in that position. I could be wrong but he does remind me a bit of cook when he was coming through the lower grades. This is just my personal opinion but I liked what I saw from him in limited minutes, just needs to work on his decision making in those crucial moments.