Tigers Confirm Talks With Cotric

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cap space for what? Or more importantly who?

Always a Bulldog
I agree it may not do much in 2022 but it could for 2023. We would have an extra $500k for a halfback or fullback.

I know you say we could offload him next year but the Tigers want him now. And if we trade him now we can ramp up negotiations for a spine player in 2023 with the extra cap space.

Not saying I agree with it. Just a theory on what the club may be thinking

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right, we have other players that aren't attractive to anyone (including us) that we are keeping, but we are allowing a player to leave who is attractive to everyone (including us)? Seems like very strange logic to me.
It does seem counter intuitive but I'm sure you understand that there have to be other clubs wanting to take your undesired players off you for that to work. If for example, we wanted to shop Flanagan around, it's a moot point unless another team is willing to pay for him.

I don't like the idea of moving cotric on but the facts are: a) he is overpaid for his position and role in the team. B) he is someone who is likely to hold some appeal to other teams.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’ve never seen d-voice actually say something without riddles so it could be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully wrong unless Mahoney/kikau here for 22.

More cap space isn’t a Fucking reason to lose a quality player for 2 years away.

Gus has said we are cap compliant for 22 as it is. So with Elliott going and cotric potentially that’s a lot of unused cap…

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does seem counter intuitive but I'm sure you understand that there have to be other clubs wanting to take your undesired players off you for that to work. If for example, we wanted to shop Flanagan around, it's a moot point unless another team is willing to pay for him.

I don't like the idea of moving cotric on but the facts are: a) he is overpaid for his position and role in the team. B) he is someone who is likely to hold some appeal to other teams.
c) We have depth in the outside backs

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree it may not do much in 2022 but it could for 2023. We would have an extra $500k for a halfback or fullback.

I know you say we could offload him next year but the Tigers want him now. And if we trade him now we can ramp up negotiations for a spine player in 2023 with the extra cap space.

Not saying I agree with it. Just a theory on what the club may be thinking
From the same whisperer, I hear there is another established player signing on the way.
Didn't say who what position or when ???

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

If Cotric is overpaid (in the Cap) for his position then so is JAC.

If it is freeing up Cap for 2023 then it doesn't make any sense doing it now.
If it is freeing up Cap space for 2022 then it needs to be a better player (one that we need) consuming the same or less Cap space.

From the same whisperer, I hear there is another established player signing on the way.
Didn't say who what position or when ???
My expectation, if it is actually happening, that it had better be someone special that we really need for 2022.

Always a Bulldog

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Cotric is overpaid (in the Cap) for his position then so is JAC.

If it is freeing up Cap for 2023 then it doesn't make any sense doing it now.
If it is freeing up Cap space for 2022 then it needs to be a better player (one that we need) consuming the same or less Cap space.

My expectation, if it is actually happening, that it had better be someone special that we really need for 2022.

Always a Bulldog
JAC is on 100-150k less if the reports are true and arguably brings more to the team (experience, winning mentality, leadership, marketing opportunities and more).

I like cotric and I feel he is a bit hard done by here by coming to a disastrous team in 2021 but you do get more bang for buck with JAC.