Tigers Confirm Talks With Cotric

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Saw Cotric along with Whoopi and Doorey early this morning at Jobel's in Belmore

By the looks of it at this stage he aint gone
We can speculate as much as we want but the truth is...
We are NOT pushing him out, and will only go if he chooses to go.
We will NOT be paying big for him to play elsewhere.
Remember we have options but he is one of the very few attractive options to other clubs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We can speculate as much as we want but the truth is...
We are NOT pushing him out, and will only go if he chooses to go.
We will NOT be paying big for him to play elsewhere.
Remember we have options but he is one of the very few attractive options to other clubs.
Let me see if I have this right, we have other players that aren't attractive to anyone (including us) that we are keeping, but we are allowing a player to leave who is attractive to everyone (including us)? Seems like very strange logic to me.

In regards to trades, are we trading with Parramatta, Cotric for Mahony? Doesn't seem likely.
Are we trading with Penrith, Cotric for Kikau? Seems pretty unlikely.
Is there another player that we need for 2022 more than Cotric that we are trading? Not that I have heard, anyone else have anything?
If we just unload Cotric and don't get a quality trade are we not weakening our team and strengthening our opposition?

In the context of a $10m Salary Cap saving $150k to $200k and getting a lessor standard of replacement for Cotric doesn't seem like good Cap management to me.

Always a Bulldog

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Seems like very strange logic to me.
its strange logic because we don't know the full story, we are getting snippets from the Media and absolutely nothing from our club

if he's going to be let go, it's for a reason, whether its to strengthen this coming season or for 23'.

at least we are looking like forward planning, rather than whats happened the last 5 years or since Des and the previous board took over !
In Gus We Trust

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Well Tigpies would be perfect for him and us.
It’s the cheaper option for the club if he goes to the tigers, Nic wants to go back to Canberra, so more dollars are required, hence nothing announced has yet
Let’s see if Gus gets his way !

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It’s the cheaper option for the club if he goes to the tigers, Nic wants to go back to Canberra, so more dollars are required, hence nothing announced has yet
I can’t imagine he wants to go back at all. He just bought a house?

Any truth re Thompson to tigers?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right, we have other players that aren't attractive to anyone (including us) that we are keeping, but we are allowing a player to leave who is attractive to everyone (including us)? Seems like very strange logic to me.

In regards to trades, are we trading with Parramatta, Cotric for Mahony? Doesn't seem likely.
Are we trading with Penrith, Cotric for Kikau? Seems pretty unlikely.
Is there another player that we need for 2022 more than Cotric that we are trading? Not that I have heard, anyone else have anything?
If we just unload Cotric and don't get a quality trade are we not weakening our team and strengthening our opposition?

In the context of a $10m Salary Cap saving $150k to $200k and getting a lessor standard of replacement for Cotric doesn't seem like good Cap management to me.

Always a Bulldog
I have this answer for you ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.
You have to understand unpopular sacrifices will be made.
If we had a balanced team I would certainly agree with you.
I trust in Gus & Co to know what they are doing !!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cortic just bought a house in the Shire, close to friends and family, he does not want to go back to Canbra.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have this answer for you ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.
You have to understand unpopular sacrifices will be made.
If we had a balanced team I would certainly agree with you.
I trust in Gus & Co to know what they are doing !!!
I think we all know about 2023 and onwards.
But we have games to win in 2022.
We have fans who demand results, now, we have already put up with too much for too long.
We have sponsor/advertisers who have paid additional for the 2022 season on the basis that we will win more games and as a result be on prime time broadcasts more often.
The 2022 season is make or break for Barrett, poor results and his NRL coaching career is over. Same applies to pretty much the whole football staff.
Not so much for Gould, but everyone expects substantial improvements in 2022.

I don't see how giving up quality player/s for 2022 and not getting quality player/s in return for 2022 is a good idea. If, say, Cotric and Thompson are attractive to other teams for 2022 then they will still be attractive to other teams for 2023 and they are both off contract for 2024.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We have fans who demand results, now, we have already put up with too much for too long.
We have sponsor/advertisers who have paid additional for the 2022 season on the basis that we will win more games and as a result be on prime time broadcasts more often.
The 2022 season is make or break for Barrett, poor results and his NRL coaching career is over. Same applies to pretty much the whole football staff.

I don't see how giving up quality player/s for 2022 and not getting quality player/s in return for 2022 is a good idea. If, say, Cotric and Thompson are attractive to other teams for 2022 then they will still be attractive to other teams for 2023 and they are both off contract for 2024.

Always a Bulldog
Fucking exactly!

Rome wasn’t built in a day isn’t an excuse when you get the spoon and avoided it by magic the year before and have been shit and irrelevant for half a decade.

Barrett can kiss his career goodbye if we flop this year. You don’t give up quality players to a semi decent roster for spuds to take their spot. We did this for Years. Ended with worse results.

I understand what your saying and the people saying cotric overpaid yet desirable but unless kikau or Mahoney are coming for 22 these blokes will be desirable for 23!

The whole injury shit or whatever is the same for blokes like dufty and Vaughan. We need to base it on now and what we have.

What if rfm Kills it for 22? We signed kikau he won’t be retained I don’t think regardless…

Let’s give Thompson and cotric the chance with the roster for 22.

Unless kikau or Mahoney are coming early and then the only reason I get it is they are long term plans and quality ins.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fucking exactly!
Rome wasn’t built in a day isn’t an excuse when you get the spoon and avoided it by magic the year before and have been shit and irrelevant for half a decade.
Barrett can kiss his career goodbye if we flop this year. You don’t give up quality players to a semi decent roster for spuds to take their spot. We did this for Years. Ended with worse results.
I understand what your saying and the people saying cotric overpaid yet desirable but unless kikau or Mahoney are coming for 22 these blokes will be desirable for 23!
The whole injury shit or whatever is the same for blokes like dufty and Vaughan. We need to base it on now and what we have.
What if rfm Kills it for 22? We signed kikau he won’t be retained I don’t think regardless…
Let’s give Thompson and cotric the chance with the roster for 22.
Unless kikau or Mahoney are coming early and then the only reason I get it is they are long term plans and quality ins.
100% agree, and I don't buy the "long terms plans" bullshit, both Cotric and Thompson are both off contract for 2024, so it's only 2023, one year, that is affected. I just don't see why we should fark up 2022 just for 2023, especially when we have 12 months to fix 2023 anyway. Plus we still have 9 players off contract for 2023 so there is already scope without doing anything drastic.

Always a Bulldog

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Mate, I get your concerns but trust me, the club has never been in a more stable and constructive position for a very very long time...
We have to trust in Gus to make the right decisions...and he is !
Financially Warburton is going ballistics...you will soon see what I mean !
The sponsors and TPAs are at a record rate when over a year ago we were losing them, we didn't have sponsors to cover the top 17 players, now there is a waiting list !
All sounds good but I do agree...we have to preform on the field !!!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You rate him? Never seen him play so I wouldn't have a clue. Is he rated at all though?
yes mate was very good in limited chances with souths. Just needs a good period of no injuries to see the best of him.