The "R U OK ?" Thread

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thank you for your ever wise words Mama.

We will have our first training session of the year on Monday, I have to put on a brave face for my other boys but I know it's going to be a dagger in my heart.

I know it sounds cliche but we really are a little footy family, I'm more of an Uncle to the boys. Sure I coach them to be their best on the field but I also I help them turn into little gentlemen off it.
Take the time to grieve properly and talk freely, if that is what they want. Look after family and the rewards are ten fold.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
t has only been a few days but I still look for him ......it is empty where his bed used to be and every now and again a familiar noise in the background will stop me in my tracks.

He certainly wormed his way into our hearts and even though he was old and grey and no longer as effervescent we still saw him as that cute little bundle that took over our lives all those years ago. Many a time a play or a cuddle or yep even that sloppy little lick would make things seem better. It will take time but it will get better.

Mollie will never of course take his place but we still love her to bits and she is helping to ease the hurt. She is her own person and completely different to our little man. That is what made them good partners I think even though she only came to us less than six months ago. Grissom still ruled the roost and even though he was a lot smaller he put her in her place. When you can get the mix right with animals it makes it easier...

I am tossing up as to what type of tree we will plant above him but I need to get it right. Should I go a native? Or a nice rose or ornamental? I need something that screams his personality..very difficult to compare a dog to a plant I know...he loved the sun but still sought shade, he had a colourful personality and a sweet little bark, he was tan and black with a really ugly face that made him look beautiful ( if that makes sense) all in all a unique little being.... wow a lot of thinking to do..
They sure do add so much to our lives and a doggy member of the family.

I'm sure you'll pick the most appropriate plant for him and one he would love to cock his leg up on DL :grinning:

Granddaughter/fam is going thru the same atm. Lost the bossy boy who ruled the joint a few months ago but the less dominant cuddly boy is left. It's kinda good for him in a way bc he was always dominated and the older one Charlie wasn't fussed on affection. This one, Jake, we swear was a cat in a previous life and is so affectionate for a dog :grinning: Our grand daughter is showering him with attention to compensate for the loss.

Got terrible arthritis in his back legs. 15 now so not long I guess so it's his time now.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Take the time to grieve properly and talk freely, if that is what they want. Look after family and the rewards are ten fold.
Mrs Assassin has a long time friend who is a child psychologist, I've asked her if she can help if needed so that's something good.

Assassin jnr took it bad, really bad. I've explained now he has friend who is an angel that protect him.

He is saying now he wants to be extra good to win the GF again for Hunter.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I need your opinion on something....ill try to explain it the best I can.

Most of you know I'm a coach, been coaching for a while but wanted to just be a dad watching his son rip it up. Now last season my boy was picked for 9-2s, they needed a 9-3s coach so they dropped him to 9-3s just so I take the job.

Anyways, we got the premiership (after finishing 6 points clear on top) everything was sweet until we lost Hunter (God rest his soul).

Had our first coaches meeting on Monday and some other coaches and management were "telling me without telling me" that Assassin Jnr has both div 1 and 2 coaches fighting for him this season.

Now here is the problem I'm facing. Do I hold him back again this year in div to keep him with most of last year's team (I had a heap of div 2 talent in my side) or let him play in his rightly earned division. Not too stressed about the job title as I'll follow my boy as div 3 coach or div 2 trainer.

I have responsibility with this team but even more for my son. He is 9 and fully understands divisions and hype, etc. He is a friendly kid who gets along with nearly everyone but very competitive on the field. But I feel I'm letting the other boys down by following my son BUT on the other hand if they are good enough they will follow him to div 1/2.

I don't fkn know....

PS I know it's a first world problem but I just do my own head in all the time.

PPS @Bulldogsteve You may have been in a similar situation and I'd value your input my bro.

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Most of you know I'm a coach, been coaching for a while but wanted to just be a dad watching his son rip it up. Now last season my boy was picked for 9-2s, they needed a 9-3s coach so they dropped him to 9-3s just so I take the job.

Anyways, we got the premiership (after finishing 6 points clear on top) everything was sweet until we lost Hunter (God rest his soul).

Had our first coaches meeting on Monday and some other coaches and management were "telling me without telling me" that Assassin Jnr has both div 1 and 2 coaches fighting for him this season.

Now here is the problem I'm facing. Do I hold him back again this year in div to keep him with most of last year's team (I had a heap of div 2 talent in my side) or let him play in his rightly earned division. Not too stressed about the job title as I'll follow my boy as div 3 coach or div 2 trainer.

I have responsibility with this team but even more for my son. He is 9 and fully understands divisions and hype, etc. He is a friendly kid who gets along with nearly everyone but very competitive on the field. But I feel I'm letting the other boys down by following my son BUT on the other hand if they are good enough they will follow him to div 1/2.

I don't fkn know....

PPS @Bulldogsteve You may have been in a similar situation and I'd value your input my bro.
I wont give my advice or opinion but heres some considerations.
What does your son want?
Does he want to be a professional some day or is he too young to think of such things at this point and just wants to play footy?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wont give my advice or opinion but heres some considerations.
What does your son want?
Does he want to be a professional some day or is he too young to think of such things at this point and just wants to play footy?
Well he said he wants to be a footy player and a builder, so his head is screwed on (thank God).

I asked him what he wants and he just replied "i want to run over people" lol he has natural talent, built like a footy player and most importantly, he loves the game.

I basically told him you might have the same team or a different team, he seemed unfazed tbh.

I'm not those dads that are blind and think their son is an immortal IE Flamingo Snr. I'm actually his harshest critic but his number 1 fan too.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I don't fkn know....

I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you feel responsible for the current team but still want to be enjoying the ride with your young fellow, perhaps you could allow him to step up a division and act as a trainer there while coaching the lower division. Might actually be of benefit to you both if you are able to pick things up from the coaching staff in higher divisions and he's playing against a tougher class of opponent. It'd give your boy the chance to compete at a higher level, but if you're coaching the lower level he'd still have a link to his team from last year.

In saying all that, I'm someone that will spread myself too thin with commitments and drive the joy out of things by trying too hard to not let anyone down. And I half suspect that the training times etc might clash anyway which would prevent you wearing two hats (div 3 coach and div 1 or 2 trainer). But it honestly sounds like you're keen to see your son in higher divisions as it'd likely be better for his development.

From another perspective, as Speartac said, maybe find out if your boy would prefer to stick with the team he's currently in or to promote. Might be less prestige playing division three, but at this stage he's probably more likely to be interested in friendships and having fun on the field than he is in the quest to become an immortal in 25 years. I'm sure you could find out what he'd prefer without even letting him know the option is there to promote so you aren't putting pressure on him to decide either way.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you feel responsible for the current team but still want to be enjoying the ride with your young fellow, perhaps you could allow him to step up a division and act as a trainer there while coaching the lower division. Might actually be of benefit to you both if you are able to pick things up from the coaching staff in higher divisions and he's playing against a tougher class of opponent. It'd give your boy the chance to compete at a higher level, but if you're coaching the lower level he'd still have a link to his team from last year.

In saying all that, I'm someone that will spread myself too thin with commitments and drive the joy out of things by trying too hard to not let anyone down. And I half suspect that the training times etc might clash anyway which would prevent you wearing two hats (div 3 coach and div 1 or 2 trainer). But it honestly sounds like you're keen to see your son in higher divisions as it'd likely be better for his development.

From another perspective, as Speartac said, maybe find out if your boy would prefer to stick with the team he's currently in or to promote. Might be less prestige playing division three, but at this stage he's probably more likely to be interested in friendships and having fun on the field than he is in the quest to become an immortal in 25 years. I'm sure you could find out what he'd prefer without even letting him know the option is there to promote so you aren't putting pressure on him to decide either way.
Thanks for your wise words Al.

Yeah the two divisions will clash with training and games.

Combined training starts next week so I'm leaning towards to whatever he earns or is happier with. I'd love him in higher divisions not for the prestige but for the competition and development. He is a lot like me, I need tougher competition otherwise I get bored.

But his happiness is the main focus as obviously I want him to have fun and be happy, which in turn, will make him become a better player.

With my player passing away (funeral is Saturday and I'm already dreading it) it sort of dictates the whole situation too. All the boys are taking it differently. Some have gone quiet, some want to win it for him and 2 players have given up completely and don't want to play anymore.

It's a very delicate situation.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I don't fkn know....

Brother wherever they play Hunter will be in theirhearts..I think that’s the message they need to hear..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Brother wherever they play Hunter will be in theirhearts..I think that’s the message they need to hear..
100% my bro. Assassin Jnr is more determined than ever to go back to back for him.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@ASSASSIN

Don't rip my head off.

Have you thought about letting you son to move up a to the higher division & you still coach his old team. (expecting my head to be rolling on the floor at this stage)

Head.gif

Yes I know, you want to follow/support your son etc, but just see how he goes with a different coach. Ask him how he would feel if you wern't there most of the time.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@ASSASSIN

Don't rip my head off.

Have you thought about letting you son to move up a to the higher division & you still coach his old team. (expecting my head to be rolling on the floor at this stage)

View attachment 40363

Yes I know, you want to follow/support your son etc, but just see how he goes with a different coach. Ask him how he would feel if you wern't there most of the time.
Well the first season he moved to Wenty I wasn't the coach and to be brutally honest I didn't and don't want to be coach, I just want to be a proud dad on the sidelines.

But like they I said they dropped him from 2nds to play 3rds just so I coach them, they think I wouldn't find out. I should of changed teams then and there but he probably would of missed a few games. But the piece of shit coach that did that got sacked at the end of the season anyways because he was a shit **** that every one hated.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Gonna be a long night, Hunters funeral is tomorrow morning.

I'm already dreading it, he was more of a nephew than my player tbh.