The "R U OK ?" Thread

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@ASSASSIN Can the organisers of the comp, have a trophy etc named after him.
We are in the Parra district so I'm not expecting much from comp level.

But I'm retiring the 11 jersey, adding Hunters name and dates on the chest of the boys jerseys and the manager has organised arm bands for the team and parents.

Im changing our best and fairest trophy to his name too.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So sorry to hear Assassin. My heart breaks for you and Hunter's family.
Thanks brother.

Just came back from visiting the mother. We are retiring the number 11 jersey, making a jersey to place on his coffin, and the boys and staff will have his name and dates on their jerseys and on our club shirts.

Our first game we will be going all out with white helium ballons, a minute silence and a short tribute to him.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks brother.

Just came back from visiting the mother. We are retiring the number 11 jersey, making a jersey to place on his coffin, and the boys and staff will have his name and dates on their jerseys and on our club shirts.

Our first game we will be going all out with white helium ballons, a minute silence and a short tribute to him.
Great gestures and will be a lovely tribute to Hunter I'm sure. You are a very good man.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not ok, far from it.

Just got word that one of my best players and the nicest boy has just died tragically.

His name is Hunter and I loved him like he was my own.

His fucking dad took him hunting on a buggy and the buggy overturned on him and crushed him.

Man Fuck this fucked up world. My heart problems never hurt me like my heart is hurting now.
So sorry to hear this.Knowing how you relate to your kids I can only imagine just how much this is hurting you. While the wound is fresh it seems like the world has turned on its head but it will get better.
One way to remember him is to get those kids you coach to not only play for you and themselves but play for him this year.
All my love and wishes to you and condolences to the young mans family. Treasure the memories.

Let you in on a secret...I too know a young person named Hunter whom I relate well to and he is a Dogs fan. Sort of took him under my wing at school as he was a bit troubled,being on the spectrum and I was able to pass on Dogs stuff to him which he loved and also then had the benefit of meeting his family who are lovely.I still keep in contact with his mum and dad and he is doing well...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey, Feeling a bit low today ;as after having him for close to fifteen years lost my little boy Grissom yesterday. My precious little fur baby....
He was going blind and was a bit deaf too but other than that was okay and seemed to be going well. Vet said at his last check a few months ago that he was still getting quality of life and that we just needed to monitor him as he was now officially a senior citizen.. Unfortunately, over the previous three days he deteriorated and got to the stage of not wanting to leave his bed much. Had to hand feed him until finally he didn't want to eat.
Made the decision to call the vet as I could not bear to see him as he was. Three days and he went from okay to not at all well. Waited until hubby got home from work after consultation with the vet and arranged to take him in to have him euthanized. They were so great and said to take our time and just sit with him and give him reassurance and love. It was so hard to think of him not being with us anymore as we had had him since he was 6 weeks old.

As the vet shaved his leg and then administered the medication I was able to cuddle him and talk to him...all I can hope is that he understood the decision we had made. It was over quickly and without fuss and we were able to bring him home to rest in the backyard that he loved. Once things settle we will plant a tree over him to give him shade and to mark his resting place. It was heartbreaking to see our other dog Mollie as she sniffed and licked his head. She will be upset too for a while as animals like humans have feelings. This morning she lay quietly and didn't even want to play ball . Heard little to nothing out of her so she will be getting extra cuddles and love for a while......

Thankfully have plenty of photos and some videos of him but nothing can replace the physical presence.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey, Feeling a bit low today ;as after having him for close to fifteen years lost my little boy Grissom yesterday. My precious little fur baby....
He was going blind and was a bit deaf too but other than that was okay and seemed to be going well. Vet said at his last check a few months ago that he was still getting quality of life and that we just needed to monitor him as he was now officially a senior citizen.. Unfortunately, over the previous three days he deteriorated and got to the stage of not wanting to leave his bed much. Had to hand feed him until finally he didn't want to eat.
Made the decision to call the vet as I could not bear to see him as he was. Three days and he went from okay to not at all well. Waited until hubby got home from work after consultation with the vet and arranged to take him in to have him euthanized. They were so great and said to take our time and just sit with him and give him reassurance and love. It was so hard to think of him not being with us anymore as we had had him since he was 6 weeks old.

As the vet shaved his leg and then administered the medication I was able to cuddle him and talk to him...all I can hope is that he understood the decision we had made. It was over quickly and without fuss and we were able to bring him home to rest in the backyard that he loved. Once things settle we will plant a tree over him to give him shade and to mark his resting place. It was heartbreaking to see our other dog Mollie as she sniffed and licked his head. She will be upset too for a while as animals like humans have feelings. This morning she lay quietly and didn't even want to play ball . Heard little to nothing out of her so she will be getting extra cuddles and love for a while......

Thankfully have plenty of photos and some videos of him but nothing can replace the physical presence.
They may not take up much space in our homes. But they do take up a lot of space in our hearts. Sorry for your loss DL.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

All the best during this time Dogluva.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

So sorry to hear DL..it’s the hardest call of all, but you did it out of love…they give so much..take care.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this.Knowing how you relate to your kids I can only imagine just how much this is hurting you. While the wound is fresh it seems like the world has turned on its head but it will get better.
One way to remember him is to get those kids you coach to not only play for you and themselves but play for him this year.
All my love and wishes to you and condolences to the young mans family. Treasure the memories.

Let you in on a secret...I too know a young person named Hunter whom I relate well to and he is a Dogs fan. Sort of took him under my wing at school as he was a bit troubled,being on the spectrum and I was able to pass on Dogs stuff to him which he loved and also then had the benefit of meeting his family who are lovely.I still keep in contact with his mum and dad and he is doing well...
Thank you for your ever wise words Mama.

We will have our first training session of the year on Monday, I have to put on a brave face for my other boys but I know it's going to be a dagger in my heart.

I know it sounds cliche but we really are a little footy family, I'm more of an Uncle to the boys. Sure I coach them to be their best on the field but I also I help them turn into little gentlemen off it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I hope you get through this easy (you're a super lady so I know you will).

Sometimes our pets are the best people.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We will have our first training session of the year on Monday, I have to put on a brave face for my other boys but I know it's going to be a dagger in my heart.
You don't have to put on a brave face. You can show them your emotions. Your first training session can be instead, letting everyone have a say on how they are feeling about what happened.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Thinking of you and family DL and the loss of your much loved Grissom. Poor Molly as well will miss her best mate. It's going to take some time for the pure rawness of missing him to subside, but showering Molly with extra love and comforting hugs will help.

Marvellous how much we gain with our love for our faithful, loyal mates.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thinking of you and family DL and the loss of your much loved Grissom. Poor Molly as well will miss her best mate. It's going to take some time for the pure rawness of missing him to subside, but showering Molly with extra love and comforting hugs will help.

Marvellous how much we gain with our love for our faithful, loyal mates.
t has only been a few days but I still look for him ......it is empty where his bed used to be and every now and again a familiar noise in the background will stop me in my tracks.

He certainly wormed his way into our hearts and even though he was old and grey and no longer as effervescent we still saw him as that cute little bundle that took over our lives all those years ago. Many a time a play or a cuddle or yep even that sloppy little lick would make things seem better. It will take time but it will get better.

Mollie will never of course take his place but we still love her to bits and she is helping to ease the hurt. She is her own person and completely different to our little man. That is what made them good partners I think even though she only came to us less than six months ago. Grissom still ruled the roost and even though he was a lot smaller he put her in her place. When you can get the mix right with animals it makes it easier...

I am tossing up as to what type of tree we will plant above him but I need to get it right. Should I go a native? Or a nice rose or ornamental? I need something that screams his personality..very difficult to compare a dog to a plant I know...he loved the sun but still sought shade, he had a colourful personality and a sweet little bark, he was tan and black with a really ugly face that made him look beautiful ( if that makes sense) all in all a unique little being.... wow a lot of thinking to do..

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@dogluva Sorry to hear about your fur baby. Hope this isn't too soon.
View attachment 39025
Wow mate... thank you... beautiful sentiments and how I wish this is true.

We have made the comments that he is already with his brother Taz and my parents. Nice to think that the place they took in your hearts whilst alive continues. Would be nothing better than to hold him again and feel that unconditional love that only an animal can give you