Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's Good News but more like Expected News due to the fact he's the Most Expereinced Player in the Team so him Being Captain wasn't Big News STILL Beats the Sh!t out of the News we've had from the Team this Transfer Month.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Gallas as captain is a good move, no surprise there.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
2-1 victory over Fulham :D

WOOO HOOO jst finished watching the game and we were all over them and got a deserved victory, and good to see how pumped the players were after the 2nd goal, showed the passion that they have, well done boys.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wenger to make decision on future soon

Arsene Wenger intends to make a decision on his future 'before the end of August' to avoid speculation becoming 'a handicap' on Arsenal's bid to regain the Barclays Premier League title.

The Frenchman has yet to announce whether he will extend his current contract, which expires at the end of the season.

The Arsenal board have already declared their intention to retain the services of the man who has revolutionised the club since arriving in September 1996 for the long term.

Wenger, though, does not want the focus deflected from the team's battle to again become the dominant force of English football.

'It will be soon, two weeks or three weeks,' he said.

'The degrees of soon are the speed of the negotiations of the contract. There are always two parties in that and you cannot always decide, also sometimes the lawyers are on holiday, so you wait one more week. For me that is not a big problem.

'There is a need to do that before the end of August because I do not want that to be a handicap for the success of the team, that it could be used to question a little bit the success of the team.'

Wenger added: 'I do not want my players to find this kind of excuses.

'I have a responsibility towards the fans, the players, the club. I have worked here for 10 years, and I want to stand up for that.

'I know that it is something important.'

Arsenal kick off the new domestic season again Fulham at Emirates Stadium at noon tomorrow, before then heading to the Czech Republic for the first leg of the Champions League third-round qualifier.

Wenger admits Arsenal will be 'different' this season without Thierry Henry. However, the Gunners boss maintains his young squad can emerge to challenge the dominance of Manchester United and Chelsea.

'There is a big contrast with the feeling outside our squad and the strength of belief we have within the club,' said Wenger.

'I read in the papers that everybody writes us off, but I feel they are wrong.

'We may have been less busy with names on the market, but what is important is how you perform on the pitch - and I believe we have enough quality to do that.

'We have worked with the team, to blossom. Manchester United and Liverpool have gone for a different policy. Chelsea have kept stability this year without spending a lot, that is new. So let's see who wins in the end.'

Wenger added: 'I believe in what I am doing and what I am seeing here at the training ground every day, but I can understand people question that.

'I want to prove to people that this team is exceptional and then I want to prove people who do not believe in us are wrong.'

One player set to be key to Arsenal's hopes of success next season is midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

The 20-year-old Spaniard feels Emirates Stadium is the right place for him to be now, having once again rejected the overtures from Real Madrid this summer.

Fabregas was quoted in the Spanish media as admitting he spoke to Real's president Ramon Calderon and sport director Predrag Mijatovic about their interest, but decided to remain at Arsenal.

However, Wenger insisted: 'I did not allow Fabregas to talk to anybody. He denies he did.

'If you can get the statement he has done that and that Real Madrid, more than ever, has done that, then we will sue Real Madrid.

'His agent might have spoken to Real Madrid.

'But Real Madrid are not entitled to do it without our permission.

'You expect other clubs to behave in a fair way when you have players under contract.'
Source: Soccernet

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Grimandi: Wenger overworked at Arsenal

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is being weighed down by the amount of work he has to cope with since the departure of vice-chairman and close ally David Dein, according to former midfielder Gilles Grimandi.

Grimandi is the Gunner's chief scout in France and so works closely with Wenger, who he said is struggling to manage everything.

'Before, Arsene was snowed under with work. Now it has become frightening. He is taking on a large part of Dein's work and the situation is getting difficult,' he told The News of the World.

'All of us around Arsene are trying to take the strain off him but Dein is irreplaceable.'
Source: Soccernet

Looks like even the Players feel Sorry for Arsene Wenger's hardwok in the Gunners.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same 'Ol Arsenal, always WINNING. :D

D

D0ggyStylz

Same ol' ARSEnal, always cheating

Sanchez slams Arsenal 'divers'

FURIOUS Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez accused Arsenal of diving after his side slipped to a controversial 2-1 English Premier League defeat today.
The Cottagers' manager cited three separate examples of diving during the first half at the Emirates stadium and suggested that referee Phil Dowd's failure to punish them had contributed to his decision to award Arsenal a crucial equalising penalty.
"I was at the same Premier League meeting with Arsene Wenger and (referees' chief) Keith Hackett last Tuesday, and it was agreed that simulation was going to be a big no-no this year," Sanchez said.
"Yet here there were three simulations that went unpunished. That gives people the impression they can get away with it and it didn't surprise me when the penalty was given.
"It's a bit harsh, as a small club coming here to a big stadium and not getting those decisions."
Sanchez's frustrations in the aftermath of a galling defeat were understandable, but his accusations weren't backed by TV evidence.
Replays suggested that Arsenal were not guilty of gamesmanship and Fulham were fortunate to avoid conceding a 20th-minute penalty when Alexander Hleb was felled by Steven Davis.
Arsenal boss Wenger launched an impassioned defence of his players in the face of Sanchez's claims but revealed that he had a policy of speaking privately to any of his players found guilty of diving.
"I am totally against simulation but I don't think this was," he said.
"You cannot be a coach and encourage these things. I have spoken to players about it in the past and I am for the use of video in any way. But the only way to cut it out is to allow people to receive red cards after the game."
Wenger preferred to focus on his side's thrilling two-goal comeback in north London - which was sealed in the last seven minutes of an absorbing contest - and claimed that it proved Arsenal's spirit was still in tact, despite the summer departures of Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg.
After falling behind to David Healy's first-minute debut goal - comically gifted to the Northern Irishman after goalkeeper Jens Lehmann made a hash of clearing Gael Clichy's back-pass - Arsenal hit back through Robin van Persie's penalty, awarded after Kolo Toure had been fouled by Carlos Bocanegra, and Hleb's last-gasp drive.
"We had a horrible start and were playing against a good Fulham side but we were resilient and physically and mentally strong," Wenger said.
"That's the kind of result that changes a team and a season."

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
pfttt pleaseee, that penalty was a fair penalty and he should be looking at his side blowing the lead with just minutes to go instead of whinging.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
So who will be getting up to watch the champions league qualifier in the morning (at 4am), i will be setting my alarm and getting up for this one.

D

D0ggyStylz

Not me. Hopefully it is a good game. Nothing worse than getting up and watching a dud.

I was up until 3am watching Manchester United Vs Reading.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
yeh so was i, i stayed up after i got home on sat night and watched the prem league games, there also portsmouth and man united game on at 4:30 i think it is so i will be flicking between the two lol

D

D0ggyStylz

hmmmm i would love to get up for this one....but not too sure....might set my alarm and then take my quilt and pillow over to the living room. Sleep with 1 eye open.

Is the Man United game on foxsports?

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
yep, the man u game is on foxsports and the arsenal game is on espn

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Yeh, wasnt the best of games but an away win is always good and we played no where near our best.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fábregas finds new role as enforcer for a tougher Arsenal

Cesc Fábregas is revelling in his role as an unlikely hardman as Arsenal seek to show they will not be bullied this season.
David HytnerAugust 17, 2007 12:28 AM

It was almost as if Tomas Repka could not bear the indignity of it. Sparta Prague's captain, known to English fans from his time at West Ham, is the archetypal hard man. A wall of muscle and latent menace, he is a byword for "uncompromising". Yet there he was, in the final Champions League qualifying round against Arsenal, fighting a losing battle to prevent his legs from giving way. Repka had been sorted out by the unlikeliest of enforcers and Cesc Fábregas, the Arsenal playmaker, struggled to suppress his pride.

"It's true that maybe I was a bit late but you know, he [Repka] did the same before," said Fábregas, eyes twinkling. "Sometimes you need to do this kind of thing. Not with bad intentions, of course - I thought I could win the ball - but sometimes when you cannot play because they are physically very strong, you have to go for [the] physical game as well. I think this is football. Sometimes it happens to you, sometimes it happens [to others] . . . and of course, I am sorry."

Arsenal's players had been upset to hear Repka, in the countdown to the first leg, promise to leave his mark on them. After two minutes he cut through Robin van Persie, the Arsenal striker, from behind. And there were more full-blooded challenges from Sparta players before Repka went nose to nose in confrontation with Alex Hleb. Something had to be done and moments later Repka was in a heap. The Spaniard shrugged off the yellow card he received as Repka attempted to shrug off the pain as it coursed through his leg.

He regained his feet and tried to carry on but when he next picked up possession he slowly crumpled to the ground. After treatment he determined to betray no sign of weakness. Insults flew. Fábregas even felt emboldened enough to mimic Repka's limp but, on 37 minutes, the Sparta central defender was forced, begrudgingly, to admit defeat. The Arsenal man then blocked Repka's path as he was substituted and the pair had their final exchange. Fábregas, however, had already made the significant statement.

"Maybe he [Repka] thinks this is the way to play against Arsenal but this year we're ready to show everyone that we're not the same team as before," said Gaël Clichy, the Arsenal left-back. "We're ready for the challenge and we'll wait for the others to come. We play against teams like this in England every weekend. We believe we have football quality and physical quality. We showed it in Prague and we will show it again on Sunday [at Blackburn].

"It was nice to see Cesc get in there; that showed the spirit you're going to see from us this year. People have been saying it's not his game to play like that but he's showed he can score, he can pass and he can kick people, so everything is perfect."

Arsenal have acquired an unwanted reputation as a soft touch, principally away from home, where they have been bullied out of their stride. The suspicion persists that Arsène Wenger, the manager, has handed the club captaincy to William Gallas because the France defender has attitude. Gilberto Silva, vice-captain last season and this, is a more laid-back character.

Fábregas, too, has what it takes to shake things up and he has shown himself to be no respecter of reputations. He jabbed his finger angrily at Mark Hughes, the Blackburn manager, last season after the goalless FA Cup tie at Emirates, telling him that a man who had once played for Barcelona should be ashamed of the suffocating tactics he employed. The Spain international, who started at the Barcelona youth academy, was told to apologise.

The 20-year-old had also grappled with Frank Lampard, the Chelsea midfielder, in the mêlée that disfigured the Carling Cup final in February and he was accused of playing a prominent part in the Battle of the Buffet that followed Arsenal's defeat at Manchester United in October 2004 which ended their 49-game unbeaten Premiership run. Indeed, he is alleged to have been the phantom flan flinger.

Fábregas is coming to be viewed as an upstart in some quarters but he is developing broad shoulders. The jeers he heard from the Sparta crowd did not faze him and he went on to score the opening goal in Arsenal's 2-0 win. "I heard what Repka said and it's not good for football to say before the game, 'I will kick their players'," he said later. "If we hear this, we will be ready for it."

Fábregas hopes that Repka will have recovered in time for the return leg on Wednesday week. He will not run from anyone.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD, Lehmann!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bigtime. He went to catch the ball but he closed his hands too early and the ball went in. When you see it you'll be "WTF?!"

Should have won 1-0 even though Arsenal's goal was as ugly as Brett Finch.