Opinion Thanks for your service

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No sympathy for the players leaving suprised if more go in the off-season Gus won’t pay overs for under-performing players. Gould can’t get in behind the scenes atm but he has said he will be around in preseason if that means he has to go into a bubble with them he will weed out the shit real fast

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good f**k off, bought time, what you want a violin or something.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not leaving any of them a good google review. Buyer beware.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lewis from 450k to JobSeeker
The good news is he can devote more time to his business & won't need jobseeker unless it's gone down the tubes like so many businesses. I wish him well though.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep i was right. Most here are not fans. Most here don't go to games. Most here wouldn't have any idea how hard it is to be a FG footballer whose success in life is measured in what they achieve over 80 minutes each week. Armchair critics who have never played sport at the highest level but love to criticise.
Here's some questions....Have Knights and Sharks and Raiders and Titans had successful seasons? All are negative on for and against. But 2 of them will make the finals. 1 of them winning less than half their games. Is that success?
Is the talent in the NRL evenly distributed? Do some teams appear to have a ridiculously good roster compared to most other sides? How can the Roosters still be competitive with $5m of their cap sitting on the sidelines injured, suspended or retired? Given we fucked up our salary cap....so have most of the NRL. Are there enough talented players to make all teams competitive? So given that we supposedly had a better side this year than the last 3 years, why did we go backwards? How much was it the players and how much was it the coach?
Then we look at some of the players gone to other teams....R Smith, Montoya, Foran and Sue have played in winning teams this year.
How many different spine combinations did we have this year? How many games did key players miss from unfair suspensions or injury?
I agree we've had a wretched year. But no criticism directed at the coach for that? Why could we defend under Pay but not Barrett?
I'm not asking us to put our arm around the departing players, but rather to understand and sympathise with them that due to the roster of players assembled around them, none of them were able to shine. Hetherington, Cotric and Allen had good seasons in 2020 with their respective teams but all went backwards in 2021. Gus on 100% Footy has even said Hetho is one of the best young forwards he's ever seen...but something has gone drastically wrong with his development and lack of progress this year.
Yes I'm glad we have a number of established players who have performed at their respective teams coming to us next year, and I look forward to that and happy we've been fortunate to get some quite cheaply.
But unlike the knockers I will attend the games and cheer on our team whether they win or lose. I wont just be a fair weather supporter. I will respect all the players that pull on the Blue and White. That's what true believers do. Just ask Blaxlands former MHR PM Paul Keating.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have never disagreed with a post as much as OP. Every single player who has pulled
On the jersey in the last five years has given up
At periods in their career playing for us. Nothing to celebrate

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As a collective, even with the obvious lack of skills we have compared to other NRL teams, our guys were still getting paid the same and happily taking their pay cheque.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As a collective, even with the obvious lack of skills we have compared to other NRL teams, our guys were still getting paid the same and happily taking their pay cheque.
But that’s how the Salary Cap works, we had to have 30 players AND we had to pay them 95% to 100% of the Cap. We are NOT allowed to claim that we have a bunch of dud players and they only deserve 50% of the Cap spent on them. That’s how we got forced (by the NRL) into paying $150k players $250k, $250k players $400k and $350k players $600k. Have to spend $9.7m, spread over 30 players, there is no choice. Plus the NRL doesn’t allow front or back loading of contracts.

The problem then comes in their contract years 2 and 3, when we had to spend the Cap in year 1 and they still have inflated contracts. That leaves no Cap room to recruit players that are actually worth their ask. Plus the real sting is that because they are being overpaid no other club will take them, so they just run out their inflated contracts. That’s why Cap issues like we had take 3 to 5 years to work through.

For us 2022 is almost the end of those “forced” contracts and 2023 definitely is.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have never disagreed with a post as much as OP. Every single player who has pulled On the jersey in the last five years has given up At periods in their career playing for us. Nothing to celebrate
I don’t believe that Jackson ever gives up, only physical exhaustion prevents him from giving 100% (and then some) for the full 80 minutes of every single game.

Always a Bulldog

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Give them all their participation award and show them the exit.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hetherington plays 8 games in 2020.

"He had a good season"

LOL.