Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They made Flanagan an offer last minute just before he signed with us. I'd be surprised if they didn't take him. Johnson might have to accept 400K if no-one is willing to pay more which is likely. He'd be worth 450K. Not sure about 500K
I can see johnson going to super league to get a big pay day as this will probably be his last contract

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averillo is ready now? Have you even watched the dogs play this year wtf.
Yes, he's the only one contributing in the spine and he's being asked to play halfback when he's a five-eighth. Burton's a five-eighth too, but I believe he's more suited a halfback compared to Averillo (five-eighth/halfback hybrid). Averillo's been in our top 3 players this year imo. He's the best player we've developed and it'd set a bad precedent dropping him with that in mind and how he's playing (it'd be like the Titans dropping Brimson in 2019). Burton and Averillo in the halves next year. We need to start trusting our best young players coming through because signing other clubs rejects, ... well how did our recruits this year work out...

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm surprised more people don't have reservations about paying 600k for an injury prone 30 year old coming off an achilles injury which is one of the hardest injuries to come back from.

Johnson will probably have lots of groin, hamstring, ankle or knee issues because of that Achilles injury.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hope we don't get Johnson he has been so inconsistent over the past 5 years

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would take Johnson on a 1 year deal only

And at no more than 400k

HippDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would u guys consider nikora an edge running back rower along with sj???? They have a nice combo! Plus they have resigned talakai, wade graham the other back rower and McInnes lock..... nikora maybe on the outer also!! Just throwing it out there??

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm surprised more people don't have reservations about paying 600k for an injury prone 30 year old coming off an achilles injury which is one of the hardest injuries to come back from.

Johnson will probably have lots of groin, hamstring, ankle or knee issues because of that Achilles injury.
I’m sure everyone has reservations re injury, I’m also sure everyone has had a gutful of hearing, next year this, next year that, we want success now, not have to wait years apparently for players like Averillo to develop, and that’s even if he eventually does develop, in saying that I would have gone after Widdop before johnson

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, he's the only one contributing in the spine and he's being asked to play halfback when he's a five-eighth. Burton's a five-eighth too, but I believe he's more suited a halfback compared to Averillo (five-eighth/halfback hybrid). Averillo's been in our top 3 players this year imo. He's the best player we've developed and it'd set a bad precedent dropping him with that in mind and how he's playing (it'd be like the Titans dropping Brimson in 2019). Burton and Averillo in the halves next year. We need to start trusting our best young players coming through because signing other clubs rejects, ... well how did our recruits this year work out...
There is no difference in the modern game between 6 and 7 tbh. One usually plays right and one usually played left. So that argument doesn’t stack up anymore. Avo hasn’t shown me anything in the halves to suggest that he is the answer . He may be a decent full back if given a chance to play there, but he is not gonna lead us into the top 4 playing in the 6 or 7 jersey.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While I don't think he'd be a bandaid signing I just can't see on what grounds the club would make the step to get him.

Could've got Benji on the cheap but chose to look long-term. Have repeatedly said we need to look long-term.

But we sign a guy who's had some major injury issues, is 30+ so is only going to get more injured?

Doesn't make sense for me

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score

i wouldn't overpay him or put him on a long term contract (both I would imagine he'd want), i don't see the harm, that been said i'd see what averillo does with burton first

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is no difference in the modern game between 6 and 7 tbh. One usually plays right and one usually played left. So that argument doesn’t stack up anymore. Avo hasn’t shown me anything in the halves to suggest that he is the answer . He may be a decent full back if given a chance to play there, but he is not gonna lead us into the top 4 playing in the 6 or 7 jersey.
Exactly and we are running out of positions to try him in, has failed so far, last chance would be fullback

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly and we are running out of positions to try him in, has failed so far, last chance would be fullback
No wonder you have shit takes if you agree there's no difference between the 6 and 7 LOL.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m sure everyone has reservations re injury, I’m also sure everyone has had a gutful of hearing, next year this, next year that, we want success now, not have to wait years apparently for players like Averillo to develop, and that’s even if he eventually does develop, in saying that I would have gone after Widdop before johnson
We all are sick of hearing that but Johnson isn't the answer to success. His teams have always struggled at the Warriors and Cronulla.

They rushed into signing Flanagan and Allan to try and "win now" and be competitive and look how well that worked out.. We need a hooker and forwards more than anything. 600k for Johnson is a risk they can't afford to take.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No wonder you have shit takes if you agree there's no difference between the 6 and 7 LOL.
We have all heard your constant biased opinion of Averillo mate, let’s get Mbye back hey, Averillo, Mbye halves pairing, unbeatable then in your eyes lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I disagree, there's a playstyle difference between the two, look at Cleary and Luai at the Panthers for e.g. (it's a yin yang situation) I'm not talking about the number on the back. A fullback is closer to a five-eighth than a halfback is to a five-eighth in today's game (yes, you can get a hybrid between the two). Our next goal is top 8, not top 4, that's forever away (realistically) in the salary cap world coming from where we're.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i wouldn't overpay him or put him on a long term contract (both I would imagine he'd want), i don't see the harm, that been said i'd see what averillo does with burton first
That's the thing though, no player would take a one year deal, especially Johnson who is 30 and coming off a serious injury.

He'd want as many years and as much money as possible. So you can't get him on a bargain deal.. If you could, he'd be worth the risk. But he wants one last pay day before retiring or going to the ESL..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We have all heard your constant biased opinion of Averillo mate, let’s get Mbye back hey, Averillo, Mbye halves pairing, unbeatable then in your eyes lol
You're an idiot. Jake is 20 years old, he doesn't have to be a superstar right now, he doesn't even have to play every week. But to say we're running or of positions to try him in is idiotic. We're one of the worst club teams in decades with issues that run far deeper than just individual players and you're shitting on a kid trying to transition to firstgrade. Go support another club.