Ryan Tandy's (not so) Super Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gladiator.

I was watching fairfex video and what he says I agree abit.. Honestly Tandy wasnt charged and won't be till the outcome on march 2.. What fairfex says about him being dropped from matches I agree but dropping him from training is just stupid i think.. He is a forward and needs all the training before the start of the season... Let's say he isn't guilty then he won't be that healthy for the start of the season.. He needs to train and keep his fitness going...
He has been charged, but yet to be proven guilty

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between match fixing and rape allegations ala 2004. A rape allegation does not affect trust amongst teammates on the field, match fixing does and especially when you put all the pieces together there must be doubt amongst the players- unusual large bets being made in multiple places, Tandy loses the ball straight away, then lies all over the tackled player.

If players don't trust their teammates, it can have a huge effect on the club and how they perform, team morale and how they interact and bond off the field. If you think the guy playing beside you may be doing his bit to help the opposition, he shouldn't be there. Imagine how the players would feel whenever Tandy loses the ball, gives away a penalty of misses a tackle?? There would be questions in their mind. Did he lose that ball on purpose?

You then look at all the good work TG has done off the field. He has turned the image of this club around from a bunch of G- Unit wannabe's who were always in the headlines for the wrong reasons, to a club where until this Tandy episode happened was only getting positive articles written. A huge amount of money has been thrown at the club from sponsors and our members have grown by a huge amount. If Tandy was found guilty and was still part of the team, a lot of sponsors would jump ship immediately to distance and protect their brand from negative publicity.

The club had no other option than to stand Tandy down if it wanted to protect its image which has taken a lot of hard work and 3 years to build back up from the battered image we had.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between match fixing and rape allegations ala 2004. A rape allegation does not affect trust amongst teammates on the field, match fixing does and especially when you put all the pieces together there must be doubt amongst the players- unusual large bets being made in multiple places, Tandy loses the ball straight away, then lies all over the tackled player.

If players don't trust their teammates, it can have a huge effect on the club and how they perform, team morale and how they interact and bond off the field. If you think the guy playing beside you may be doing his bit to help the opposition, he shouldn't be there. Imagine how the players would feel whenever Tandy loses the ball, gives away a penalty of misses a tackle?? There would be questions in their mind. Did he lose that ball on purpose?

You then look at all the good work TG has done off the field. He has turned the image of this club around from a bunch of G- Unit wannabe's who were always in the headlines for the wrong reasons, to a club where until this Tandy episode happened was only getting positive articles written. A huge amount of money has been thrown at the club from sponsors and our members have grown by a huge amount. If Tandy was found guilty and was still part of the team, a lot of sponsors would jump ship immediately to distance and protect their brand from negative publicity.

The club had no other option than to stand Tandy down if it wanted to protect its image which has taken a lot of hard work and 3 years to build back up from the battered image we had.
Well said Bry.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

100% correct

Anyone that disagrees with the clubs stance should read that, because they wont be able to dispute ANY point in that post.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
well mate you are only new on here, but all the information i get is 100% correct. if i post a rumour, it is always correct. it comes from a player manager, i obviously wont mention who, but he looks after alot of the dogs players, so their is a hint.
Is it Sam Ayoub ???

If so ... kindly tell him this Bulldogs fan hopes he gets locked up and bum-rooted one day !

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't agree at all. This is football and in the end players have to play for each other and the club has to act as a club. In the corporate world it's different and one of the reasons we wanted rid of Malcolm Noad was that he didn't know how a club was different from corporate. Tandy has not been charged with anything like throwing the game. There are no charges that anyone threw the game or in any way acted illegally other that the charge which is an allegation after all, that Tandy lied to the Commission. Whoop De Doo! Maybe he refused to dob a mate? I don't know and neither does the club at this stage. If the club does know something else and is acting on that information then they are lying to us in their statement today.
wake up and smell the roses Alan. watch the opening minute of the match in question and, given what we all know now, try
and justify tandy's innocence.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Tandy's time out is no bone of contention

Paul Crawley From: The Daily Telegraph February 05, 2011 12:00AM

JUST imagine if the Bulldogs had allowed Ryan Tandy to play on - and he arrived back at training on Monday with the rest of his teammates?

Imagine the circus?

It would have been the biggest show at Belmore since Sonny Bill walked out on the joint.

And wouldn't Tandy have just loved it?

And what about his teammates, trying to get set for a new season - while still answering more questions about last year's betting sting investigation?

Would have been great for team morale if Tandy was still around.

While some Bulldogs fans were yesterday howling in protest over the club's decision, Canterbury great Steve Mortimer hit the mark when he said Tandy should have made the decision himself.

Because, now the club is being blamed for not doing the right thing.

You could just as easily argue Tandy wasn't playing the team game by sticking around.

Sure, he has vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

But the fact is he was arrested this week on charges of giving false and misleading information to a law enforcement agency.

And regardless of innocence, he is going to be copping more heat, at least until his March 3 court appearance.

Did he want his teammates to have to live through it as well?

You can't imagine it possible for him to be in the right state of mind right now. Perhaps the Bulldogs weren't just acting for themselves, they were acting in his best interests, too. And the NRL.

Tandy and his lawyers now have time to prepare to clear his name. And his teammates have time to plan for 2011. There's no more time to waste, kick-off is just 34 days away.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ne-of-contention/story-e6frexnr-1226000491679

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Thurston breaks silence on the NRL betting scandal

Peter Badel From: The Daily Telegraph February 05, 2011 12:00AM

THE NRL betting scandal has taken a dramatic twist after the Cowboys were yesterday cleared by NSW police of any wrongdoing in a purported betting plunge last year.

The development came as North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston broke his silence on the betting allegations, insisting he had no involvement in the affair that has led to the arrest of Bulldogs forward Ryan Tandy for giving false and misleading evidence to police.

"All I can comment on is myself and I know I've got nothing to worry about," Thurston said yesterday. "I'm sweet. I'm not worried at all. I'm pretty confident none of our boys are involved in any of this betting stuff."

Detectives from the NSW State Crime Command were expected to shift their attention to the Cowboys after Tandy was charged on Wednesday with providing false evidence during a police investigation into the round 24 clash between Canterbury and the Cowboys.

But superintendent Arthur Katsogiannis, the NSW police commander presiding over the NRL betting investigation, says the Cowboys have no case to answer unless fresh evidence comes to light.

The revelation will come as a relief to the Cowboys, whose players were interviewed in October as part of a NSW police investigation that has now spanned five months.

"We've already spoken to the Cowboys players and as far as I'm concerned that part of the inquiry is complete," Supt Katsogiannis told The Courier-Mail.

"Of course, there may be further information that comes forward, but at this point in time the North Queensland aspect of the investigation is complete."

Cowboys superstar Thurston has been inadvertently implicated in the scandal after it emerged his manager, Sam Ayoub, had his home raided by NSW detectives on Tuesday.

Ayoub, who also manages Tandy, has denied any illegal activity. He confirmed on Thursday he had placed a bet on a Cowboys penalty goal as the first score but said it was an option he often took when gambling on NRL games.

Thurston also maintained his innocence. He revealed he had never been contacted by NSW police, suggesting the Cowboys halfback was not among persons of interest identified in the betting sting.

"I never spoke to the police. I wasn't around [when NSW detectives flew north to interview Cowboys players] and they never asked to speak to me.

"If they have got anything on me, they can come and talk to me. They'd be wasting their time because I have nothing to hide."

Of the allegations surrounding Ayoub, Thurston said: "It doesn't faze me at all the stuff with Sam. He's my manager and I trust him."

Cowboys football manager Peter Parr said he believed no individual at the club was involved in any illicit betting activity.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-betting-scandal/story-e6frexni-1226000470283

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Tandy could be banned for life

Brad Walter
February 5, 2011

CANTERBURY prop Ryan Tandy could be banned for life by the NRL if a NSW police investigation finds he deliberately conceded a penalty for punters who had wagered the Cowboys would score first from a penalty goal in last year's round 25 match in Townsville.

And rookie Parramatta halfback Brad Murray faces a fine of up to $50,000 and suspension if he is found to be among those who stood to win more than $300,000 if the bet had come off.

These are among the penalties that can be imposed under NRL rules and regulations relating to players involved in gambling or match fixing.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Tandy, who was penalised for holding down a player near the Bulldogs' posts in the second minute of the match against North Queensland, has maintained his innocence.

He was stood down by the Bulldogs on Thursday after being charged with giving false evidence to a NSW Crime Commission hearing. Police raided his Bronte unit earlier this week.

While the NRL has not set specific penalties for gambling offences, players can be fined up to $50,000, and clubs up to $1 million.

The NRL can also deregister players or impose suspensions for any length of time, up to a lifetime ban.

Players are banned from gambling on matches or futures markets in the NRL's Code of Conduct and a clause in the standard playing contract.

Section 22 of the code relates specifically with ''game fixing and bribes''. It states that ''a club or person shall be taken to have been involved in the fixing of a match if the natural course of that match has been interfered with in any respect''.

Players or officials offered a bribe or asked to fix a match are required to immediately advise their CEO.

Section 21 of the NRL Code of Conduct states:

No club or person bound by this code shall participate, or be involved in any way, in gambling in relation to a match or the progress of a team in the NRL competition or the National Youth Competition (whether, in each case, as to its outcome, its course or otherwise) in which that club or person is involved, or;

No club or person bound by this code shall provide, either directly or indirectly, information that is not in the public domain in relation to a match or the progress of a team in the NRL competition or the NYC which might assist another person to gamble in relation to that match or that progress.

The NRL standard playing contract stipulates that players must not:

Participate, or be directly or indirectly involved in any way, in gambling in relation to the NRL competitions, the representative competitions or the related competitions whether as to the performance of a player or a team, the outcome or course of a match, the outcome or course of the NRL competitions, the representative competition or the related competition or otherwise, or;

Provide, or be involved directly or indirectly in the provision of, information that might assist another person to gamble in relation to the NRL competitions, any representative competitions or the related competitions whether such information concerns a player, a team, a match, the course or outcome of a match, the course or outcome of the NRL competitions, the representative competition or the related competition or otherwise.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/tandy-could-be-banned-for-life-20110204-1agu2.html

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't know how a fix can operate with only 1 player in on it.

anjing

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good as gone. The Doggies didn't need another scandal at the beginning of the season. This would have to have a huge impact on team moral and readiness for the season.

P

Paint.

If Tandy is guilty, then so is Ayoub, and so are at least two Cowboys players, IMO. You can't have a fix with only one man in on it...

anjing

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yep - agree 100%. I just hope they don't use Tandy as a scapegoat.

Markb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2010: talk of match fixing in game between Bulldogs and Cowboys
2009: talk of match fixing in game between Roosters and Cowboys.

I would find it very hard to believe that there would only be one player involved in the latest one. What do both of these games have in common........ The same team and one other player who signed from the roosters to the cowboys last year because the roosters didn't like the influence that that player had on their younger players.
Walks like a duck... sounds like a duck then most of the time it is a duck

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
The papers are really struggling to come up with new angles for stories. "Tandy could be banned for life if found to be involved in match-fixing." BREAKING NEWS. FANTASTIC SCOOP BRAD.

But I agree with the dude who said that being stood down is in Tandy's best interests as well. If he's at training then he'll have to walk past a media scrum most days. He'll have been advised not to comment to the media, so he'll just have to ignore them and push past, and it's pretty much impossible to do that in a way that doesn't make you look guilty as sin on the evening news. It's much better for him to just stay out of the public eye.

holbi

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
In this situation a one man fix is totally plausible. For example, Tandy gives away the penalty in front of his posts as soon as he can, no-one else has to assist. Early in the game the opposing side will often take the 2 easy points, this is what these people were bankin on but the quick tap burnt them. Good riddance

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
sack this guy. dont need his sort at the club. everyone knows hes a rat.

P

Paint.

Greenberg hit by storm on two fronts

TODD Greenberg spent Wednesday night locked in a bathroom at a five-star resort in Cairns.

In a bath, holding a mattress for protection.

Outside, Cyclone Yasi was moving in - but it was not the only storm heading his way.

Earlier in the day, Greenberg had learned of Ryan Tandy's arrest by phone, as he sat bunkered down with coach Kevvie Moore, Brett Kimmorley and club chairman George Peponis in Far North Queensland.

But, as the hours counted down to the arrival of one of the worst cyclone's in Australia's history, as hard as he tried, Greenberg just couldn't get Tandy off his mind.

So as Yasi howled above him like a roaring jumbo jet, Greenberg considered his options.

What was best for the club? What was best for Ryan Tandy?

By morning, there was no power at the motel, his phone wasn't working and he was stranded from returning to Sydney.

But he wasn't about to have the day off. So he asked Peponis for his phone, and Greenberg got busy with work. When you're in charge of a footy club, it's what you do.

And by late afternoon, Greenberg must have known there was only one decision that could be made.

So, by phone and email, they put together a media release. it was carefully constructed, and chock full of legal jargon.

Then, shortly after 7pm last night, it arrived. The statement referred to "Mr Tandy". And it all sounded so impersonal. Not Ryan. Not even Ryan Tandy. Just Mr Tandy.

But this wasn't personal, it was business. The way it had to be.

Tandy was stood down so the Bulldogs can finally get on with business - the business of preparing for season 2011.

It's just 35 days to go, and counting. Don't worry, Greenberg had tried to get in contact with his player but found it difficult.

You see, Tandy's mobile phone had been confiscated during the police raids of his rented Bronte unit earlier in the week.

Last night Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer made a pretty good point.

He said Greenberg got this one right - it was Tandy who got it wrong by not standing himself down.

For Turvey, this wasn't about guilt or innocence. it was about the club.

For Mortimer, it's always about what's best for the club.

He's always been that way - always will be. It seems Greenberg lives by the same philosophy.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...o-gamble-careers/story-e6frext9-1225999802863

P

Paint.

Big NRL bet raised TAB's suspicions

A woman who tried to lay an unusually large bet on the NRL match now under investigation by Australian authorities tipped off the New Zealand TAB to a possible scam.

The attempted bet - "well in the thousands" of dollars - was for a North Queensland penalty goal to be the first score in North Queensland's match against Canterbury last August.

The Bulldogs last week stood down forward Ryan Tandy, who faces court on March 3, to answer charges of providing false evidence to a law enforcement agency.

NSW detectives are investigating suspicious betting activity in relation to the match after a betting plunge on a penalty to be the first score.

That activity extended to New Zealand, with the TAB saying that it refused a large bet on that option, restricting it instead to $50.

TAB bookmaker Mark Stafford said today that bets on the first score were usually in the range of $10 to $20.

Putting money on a penalty was also a rare, given that teams seldom had a shot at goal early in a match, preferring to maintain possession and field position.

After accepting the $50 wager, the agency suspended betting on the option and contacted agencies in Australia.

"We made some telephone calls," Stafford said. "We found the same thing was happening overseas and we just closed that option."

Stafford said he could not confirm a media report that the bet in question was placed in a south Auckland TAB branch.

However, he said the TAB had sent material such as pictures and video footage to Australian authorities.

In the match, Tandy was penalised two minutes into the game for impeding North Queensland's Grant Rovelli in front of the posts, leading to suspicions about his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.