Official Reed not charged

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If anyone doesn't think this will happen to our boys with the way we are treated has rocks in their heads.
This incident not relevant to us atm but you are saying that indiscretions against Reed are not being fairly acted on.

The refs and bunker protect the halfback...what's wrong with protecting the hookers.

As pointed out he has been badly treated by the player with the ball 2 weeks in a row. Coaches know he is very important to our gameplan and is our captain.

Both of those incidents, by a player with the ball, ... Tina's forearm to the throat and Sualli's knee to the head COULD have had the same catastrophic outcome as becoming a footy paraplegic.

It is foul play and if NRLol and refs and bunker are fair dinkum, those 2 incidents should have been appropriately dealt with at the time, on the field. It's unforgiveable incompetence at best.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I didn't get to see the game but Reed was injured so Bunker got to review and still nothing ? NRL is getting worse by the week
Well they eventually assessed that Mahoney needed a HIA so they clearly reviewed the tackle. And they've shown numerous times against us and in other games that they go back several tackles for supposed foul play that's nowhere near as blatant as that was. Or Tino's forearm was.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Suspended for 3 weeks but no penalty even when they reviewed it.. Standard NRL sideshow refereeing

This game had a few head scratchers:
  • The Averillo "No Try" that was never reviewed early in the second half. Replays show there wasn't any contact from Ock on the contest on the Rooster winger, upon review it could have been ruled a try had it been given a stoppage/ time to review the play.
  • The knock-on off a Sitili forward pass - yes, the defender contacts the ball with their hand and it goes forward, instituting a knock-on, however, the first infringement was a Sitili forward pass.
  • Perham's 'forward pass' was flat at worst. Purely because he didn't turn his body and it was a floating ball does not make it a forward pass.
  • This play that took out Reed for the end of the first half, and the rest of the game.
  • A KO knock-on in front of the posts whilst playing the ball - Sitili literally strikes down at his back/ shoulders which causes him to lose balance and stuff the PTB. Instead of a penalty in front of the sticks, knock-on Bulldogs.
We had our own bone-headed plays (JAC with a couple of his own - pointing out Alamoti down in the play instead of defending his wing, the kick on the restart at the death), but, this was another game where it just felt like we couldn't buy a call.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they eventually assessed that Mahoney needed a HIA so they clearly reviewed the tackle. And they've shown numerous times against us and in other games that they go back several tackles for supposed foul play that's nowhere near as blatant as that was. Or Tino's forearm was.
Yep the problem is that the doctor is reviewing it for a HIA. That is separate to the bunker reviewing it for foul play.

The doctor is probably looking at the bunker ref and thinking "This guy has no farking idea". But he cant do anything about it.

I agree that its laughable how they have now missed 2 blatant incidents against us in the space of 2 games. Definitely a bias against the lower rated teams

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
That's two weeks in a row Mahoney has been hit in the face through foul play by the ball carrier and it hasn't been a penalty. First Tino and now Sua'ali'i. They were both blatant incidents too. What a joke.
Yeah but it goes beyond a joke doesn't it?

Tino fined and now Suaalii suspended so obviously confirms acts of foul / illegal play (which everyone but the officials could plainly see at the time).

Yet, as you noted no on field penalty for either act. A penalty in both or either instance would have assisted the Bulldogs but none was forthcoming.

I am starting to think that just maybe there is a little bit of an agenda against the Bulldogs. A fine or suspension after the fact doesn't do jack sh*t to help us, yet we are the ones who just gave to cop the illegal play. Mahoney off the field in both games and didn't return yesterday.

It really stinks.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Until Ciraldo voices his opinion at the press conference about the f’ucking dud calls we keep copping… it’ll continue to happen!

Warriors sponsor had a whinge… not a peep from them since!
Robinson had a whinge not so long ago as did Ricky Stuart… why won’t f’ucking Ciraldo do the same?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think with these 2 incidents Gus and the club can now speak up.

Generalising that we never get 50/50's will never work but bringing up these 2 extremely blatant fouls on a vital spine player in our team is now appropriate.

It's all out in the open now, thru Reed's treatment or lack thereof, that the club and player have been let down by the refs and bunker by not upholding their duty of care to protect players from foul play by penalising transgressors.

I thiught it was a hiding to nothing by complaining, and may be still, but this now gives us a legitimate case to raise about perceived bias and the need for more accountability by refs towards our team so that there is better parity with refereeing.

Gus and Khoury get onto this. Call in all our media favours or any we have :grinning:. Ch9 give us a media helping hand.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This incident not relevant to us atm but you are saying that indiscretions against Reed are not being fairly acted on.

The refs and bunker protect the halfback...what's wrong with protecting the hookers.

As pointed out he has been badly treated by the player with the ball 2 weeks in a row. Coaches know he is very important to our gameplan and is our captain.

Both of those incidents, by a player with the ball, ... Tina's forearm to the throat and Sualli's knee to the head COULD have had the same catastrophic outcome as becoming a footy paraplegic.

It is foul play and if NRLol and refs and bunker are fair dinkum, those 2 incidents should have been appropriately deal with at the time, on the field. It's unforgiveable incompetence at best.
I know you harp on about the refs ;) but this attitude of either not seeing foul play against our players, or seeing it and selectively not penalising the transgressors is getting out of hand and we are probably seeing more foul play against our guys than they are dishing out to opposition yet we almost always lose the penalty count.It seems we get caught every time we transgress and the opposition don't...then afterwards it is (only sometimes) dealt with by MRC.

Its hard to quantify if we cop more harsher penalty counts or refs dont see the other teams transgressions that should rightly be penalised...but it sure seems like it to us and other low ranked teams and their supporters.
The way the whole team has been treated by the match day officials is why I always harp on about them more than our own players' mistakes.

Yes, the team overall needs to be better, but the club is doing something about it by dropping underperforming players (flanno, Reynolds, etc), removing deadwood at the end of the year (as we have done the past few years), Ciro calling out the players for bad performances in press conferences, etc. Those reasons are why I have faith in the current administration to fix the club, and it's on show as seen in how juniors are progressing.

The constant crap we cop from the officials hasn't been addressed, and every game this year (and years gone by), we have copped a gobful of rubbish from them. I just want the team to be fairly treated by the officials. If we continue to cop with these decisions, it will affect player performances and morale.

The team can only do so much when we are up against the opposition team and the match day officials.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The way the whole team has been treated by the match day officials is why I always harp on about them more than our own players' mistakes.

Yes, the team overall needs to be better, but the club is doing something about it by dropping underperforming players (flanno, Reynolds, etc) and are continuing to remove more deadwood at the end of the year (as we have done the past few years), Ciro calling out the players for bad performances in press conferences, etc. Those reasons are why I have faith in the current administration to fix the club, and it's on show as seen in how juniors are progressing.

The constant crap we cop from the officials hasn't been addressed, and every game this year (and years gone by), we have copped a gobful of rubbish from them. I just want the team to be fairly treated by the officials. If we continue to cop with these decisions, it will affect player performances and morale.

The team can only do so much when we are up against the opposition team and the match day officials.
It's so frustrating for us. Imagine how the players feel.

It is definately a thing and it def must be sorted.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep the problem is that the doctor is reviewing it for a HIA. That is separate to the bunker reviewing it for foul play.

The doctor is probably looking at the bunker ref and thinking "This guy has no farking idea". But he cant do anything about it.

I agree that its laughable how they have now missed 2 blatant incidents against us in the space of 2 games. Definitely a bias against the lower rated teams
Good point that.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Annesley has just released the audio from the incident.

Klein: Bunker can u check to see if Reed has committed a cannonball
Bunker: Sual'li kneed him in the head Ash. He's in lala land
Klein: Listen. Nick Rules. Did Reed commit a cannonball
Bunker: No but we can call it that if you like
Klein: Do that then. I'll pull it up now
Doctor: Nah - we'll get him off with a HIA
Klein: Ok but I still have to penalise him. Nick Rules - I need the cash
Bunker: New memo from Nick. No cash for Rugby Boy
Klein: Oh. Well just get him off the field then. Reed, Reed - Doc has called u for a HIA
Reed: What for?
Klein: You attacked Sual'lis knees with your head. You are obviously concussed
Reed: But I just memorised all the street names on the Central Coast
Klein: Exactly. Off you go.

As Annesley said. All NRL protocols followed to the letter.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If a player does something that is not in the spirit of the game or is dangerous they should be punished at the time of the indiscretion by way of sin bin, penalty or dismissal from the field. THEN have to face the music in form of suspension or fine after.

Doing something AFTER the game is the way in which the NRL believes it is acting on the well being and safety of the player...it in fact just shows how inept and out of touch the officials are from the ones on field to the ones in the bunker. Heaven's knows what an independent Dr who makes the decision on whether or not a player needs to be assessed feels about the fact that the thing that caused the problem is not dealt with then and there...I am starting to feel that decisions are made on where a team is on the table when it comes to the player fouled and the position of the team from which the offender comes is.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so f@$&ing over this constant bad treatment from match day officials / NRL. We need to man up and cop a $10,000 fine by speaking out and I think it needs to come from Gus in the press conference itself as that is then a statement - and not come from CC.

It sucks that we're very average atm which means these poor or unfair decisions usually directly impact our results, but that's our current reality until we get much better and this won't change immediately. We still need to improve that for the long term but more importantly we must also act on the present here and take the appropriate actions in the best interests of our club, team and players. If we can't stand up for ourselves then why are we even bothering to turn up each season and each week.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I think with these 2 incidents Gus and the club can now speak up.

Generalising that we never get 50/50's will never work but bringing up these 2 extremely blatant fouls on a vital spine player in our team is now appropriate.

It's all out in the open now, thru Reed's treatment or lack thereof, that the club and player have been let down by the refs and bunker by not upholding their duty of care to protect players from foul play by penalising transgressors.

I thiught it was a hiding to nothing by complaining, and may be still, but this now gives us a legitimate case to raise about perceived bias and the need for more accountability by refs towards our team so that there is better parity with refereeing.

Gus and Khoury get onto this. Call in all our media favours or any we have :grinning:. Ch9 give us a media helping hand.
Great post.

100% agree.

If our club just sits there silently and takes this, it will keep happening.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We should’ve have been allowed a free interchange as well as activating 18th man

Instead we have to play a prop at hooker
We didn’t have to play a prop at hooker, Ragab is a competent hooker. The blame is on CC for stuffing up the forward rotation by not using Ragab after halftime in that role when he knew Reed was gone

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Uncle Nick must have had a few whispers to Head Office, that it is not good for NRL to have Roosters languishing outside the top 8.