News Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The big Bloodnut has said we are in no hurry and that he hasnt been actively seeking a new coach. If any of that is actually true then Gould should just sit back and give Potter some time at the helm and maybe spend time thinking about assistants and performance personel. I would have Potter any day anytime if the other choice was the yogurt eater..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The big Bloodnut has said we are in no hurry and that he hasnt been actively seeking a new coach. If any of that is actually true then Gould should just sit back and give Potter some time at the helm and maybe spend time thinking about assistants and performance personel. I would have Potter any day anytime if the other choice was the yogurt eater..
Who's the yogurt eater?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What's your problem with yoghurt?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No profile as a coach, no connections in rep teams, no proven history as a winner as a coach. His biggest claim to fame (as a coach) is yesterday's game.

The team played well, I don't want it to sound like I'm throwing shit on Mick but it doesn't take a genius to tell this particular squad to forget some of the structures Barrett had them playing.
While this is all true, it kind of makes the case for mick, experienced coach with zero baggage and Gus has enough gravitas to attract players for both of them.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
or flange or madge or hollbrook or brown or green or.......

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Too soon to make that call but not the worst idea I've heard. Surround him with blokes like Dymock, OMeley, Ennis.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry but 2 intercept tries, 2 off kicks, 1 from the Tballz playbook and 1 when the match was won is hardly anything to crow about. Y
But we wouldn't have been able to do that a few weeks ago.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well he didn't rule it out in the press conference yesterday... in the first one he had he said he was glad its an interim role as he doesn't want the gig full time but yesterday his tune had changed.. i think if we can keep winning, he'll want to continue on. whether or not the club wants to keep him on is another thing though. i would much rather a bulldogs premiership winner and dally m medallist coach us instead of a roosters 'legend' who's unable to get the star studded nsw side firing
Has he ever actually said he doesn't want the full time gig? I haven't heard it and I've watched every press conference he's done except for the post match from yesterday.

He's said things that hint it, but not outright said "I don't want to be an NRL coach long term". Not that I've heard anyway. He's been asked several times by reporters if he has desire to turn his interim gig into full time and he has just stepped the questions by saying something like, "I'm just thinking of it as short term right now".

He clearly likes coaching, having been at Mounties before taking on the interim gig. When he took that gig, he would have known it could lead ro full time if he wanted it. He's no dummy. It's up to whether or not he wants the added pressure and media interest, and if the club wants him to become head coach.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Those have been the same type of tries that have been beating us for the past five years.

It's about time we learned to score off them as well.

The intercepts were due to the Dogs pushing up in defence, and forcing them to make risky passes. The tries from kicks were due to players reading the game, and seeing where there were gaps to take advantage of.

Those are the sort of tries we see Panthers and Storm score every game.
Exactly....and Burton kicking to JAC is going to put defences in two minds. They are going to be increasingly wary of that option, which is going to make teams more reluctant to leave their wing and create opportunities inside. If they come in, we burn them with a kick, if they stay wide, we play through the middle with players like Burton, Avo, JMK etc sniffing for offloads and look to take advantages of the gaps we create.

Let's be honest, points are points. You don't get more for scoring in a certain way.

Last edited:

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry but 2 intercept tries, 2 off kicks, 1 from the Tballz playbook and 1 when the match was won is hardly anything to crow about. YES we outplayed the Eels but there needs to be more in my opinion so shut up Crawley!
Forget that then. We have scored enough points in every match since he has taken over to win. Our problem has been our defence. We have given up big leads each time only to crawl our way back into the match only to toss it away.

But not yesterday. And not because of luck but because of attitude, commitment and resolve. Our goal line defence was tremendous against one of the best attacking teams in the comp. It deserves to be applauded. Lets just see if we can back it up.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben roberts played one good game & we knee jerk signed him for 5 years of misery. Our marketing department told us all how shit hot Barrett was even though his NRl coaching record was woeful. Potter has, on the surface, looked to turn things around & may very well be a born again prodigy that we sign and all ride off into the sunset together BUT lets give the bloke more games as a coach......like the rest of this season minimum before we even go remotely near signing him up. If people actually want to coach us they wont be even looking for alternative gigs so Wests, Warriors & probably Titans & Newcastle can suck all the desperado coaches out of the system whilst we make a decent decision for once.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus will help, no doubt - but the GM isn't the coach
The GM of Football is the one responsible for the Salary Cap, what players are signed, what players are re-signed, what players are promoted, what players are released and how much every single one of them they gets paid. It is pretty damn important who that is when players are contemplating signing with us.

Always a Bulldog

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The GM of Football is the one responsible for the Salary Cap, what players are signed, what players are re-signed, what players are promoted, what players are released and how much every single one of them they gets paid. It is pretty damn important who that is when players are contemplating signing with us.

Always a Bulldog
Of course the GM is important. It's also important players want to play for a coach, Potter has no profile.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course the GM is important. It's also important players want to play for a coach, Potter has no profile.
He had a very good profile (eg; 72% with St Helens, 63% with Fiji), until the Tigers killed it, like they have with every coach in their entire 22 year history. Not a single one of them has a winning record, not even the great Tim Sheen, he's on 49%.

Always a Bulldog

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
boys take it easy, doggies seem to crumble after a win, they crumbled after games against the cowboys and roosters

If they win 3 or 4 in a row then id be happy

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He had a very good profile (eg; 72% with St Helens, 63% with Fiji), until the Tigers killed it, like they have with every coach in their entire 22 year history. Not a single one of them has a winning record, not even the great Tim Sheen, he's on 49%.

Always a Bulldog
St Helens has a historical win rate of 69% and he took over from the 74% winning Daniel Anderson who actually won Cups and Championships while Mick didn't, furthermore he had losing records with the Dragons and Bulls.

But that doesn't tell the whole story of his profile. I just don't think he's a drawcard, maybe that doesn't matter because we have Gus, maybe it does - we'll never really know.

Edit: If he could continue to get results out of the team for the rest of the year then it could be investigated but I think we're on a tighter schedule then that.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but 2 intercept tries, 2 off kicks, 1 from the Tballz playbook and 1 when the match was won is hardly anything to crow about. YES we outplayed the Eels but there needs to be more in my opinion so shut up Crawley!
This exactly. Parra turned up with the game in their head already won. Our attitude was good but we need to see this week in week out. I think Potter is on the right track but it’s one game. We need to settle down.

The intercepts stuck this time. In previous weeks they have been missed and it’s been try’s at the other end. We had some luck yesterday but if Averillo’s intercept didn’t come off and Parra scored the game would have been totally different.

We need to turn up ready to rip in against the Tigers next week and back it up.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Gould is straight up about no rush and that it just needs to be done before September I dont see a problem with Mick having a crack. Unless we are worried about missing out on someone (Fittler, Green, Holbrook, Brown... hardly inspiring) then whats the harm in another 4-6 weeks of games under Potter??

Already he has made a couple of changes player wise that appear to be working which is lightyears ahead of the shit we have put up with since the departure of Hasler. It was only a single win but it was against Parra and we have seen signs of improvement pretty much each week since Potter took control. We play the Titans 16th, Tigers 13th and Kniights 12th over the next 5 weeks as well as the Rabbits 7th and Sharks 5th.

Thats should be a pretty good guide as to how the team and players are responding to Potter.

Last edited: