News Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said this a while back. I haven't seen the game today but going by what I've heard and the scoreline, it was a very good performance. Since Potter took over, our attack has been transformed, and today the defence was just as good. Again basing it off Eels only scoring 4 pts. It's our best attacking score this season iirc.

P.s: I didn't watch because a) I finally got a nice weather day where I live, and wanted to do some outdoors stuff and b) It seems every time I watch/listen lately, I put the mock on, so after hearing bits and pieces on the radio, and knowing we were 16-0 at the break, I decided I couldn't risk it, so didn't listen again until I saw the final score.

So you can thank me for the win guys lol.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton admitted in his Fox interview after the game about that Potter released "the shackles". Barrett was just too stuck in his structures. If he had released the shackles he might still have a job.
I think I heard that. I put the radio on while driving home after I knew the result, and heard an interview from a bulldog. Thought it was Burto but wasn't sure because I didn't hear who they said it was. He did say something along those lines though, about "just playing footy".

Seriously, if most of the people replying in here don't see that Potter has made a remarkable difference in only a few weeks, I don't know what to say... who knows how much more they'll improve in a few more? It seems like he has a good idea on who will be in the 17 and in what position, and they're already won a huge upset.

I came in here expecting celebration. Instead it's the usual doom and gloom smh.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Potter has dumbed down Barrett's vision - which needed to happen but I'm not convinced he's anything more than an interim coach - maybe that's good enough to get us from 16 to 8-12 (not this year) but what then?

Fittler is my favourite player of all time but he can't coach, Slater just ran rings around him.
Can't stand Maguire.

Flanagan seems like the best option, I like a lot of what I've heard but I don't know enough about Woolf.
Yeah, fair enough. As I said, I just can’t trust Flanno. The sharks got up to some very dodgy stuff under his watch. Can’t say I like the way he has sought the role so publicly, either. I wouldn’t sleep easy with him at the helm. And I get the feeling Gus and the board aren’t sold on him either. I could be wrong, but don’t think he is the direction the club is looking to go in,

I think rebuilding a team always has to start with the basics…. And I don’t think simplifying Barrett’s game plan is all he has done. He has made key positional changes, our support play is improving week by week, Burton’s partnership with JAC is getting better and better under his watch and the team’s discipline and decision making seems to be getting better each week. It looks like he has generated a lot of enthusiasm from the playing group and has his team wanting to play for him, We are also averaging over 20 points a game under him. Can’t remember the last time our attack was looking so promising. Those are some really encouraging changes. If he can have that much impact on the team in just a few weeks, I’d like to see what he could do if given more time.

But anyway, as I said, I respect your opinion. Just personally liking what potter is doing more week by week.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
he approached us and we haven’t contacted him back. Either

we keep Potter cause Gould is seeing great success or someone like fitler, wolf or Madge. Who the fk knows. At least media is off us for a bit now
I’d love to see Mock given a chance, tbh. I really hope it’s not Fittler. That would be the worst case scenario, imo,

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He already made it clear that he doesn't want the head coach role when he stepped in as interim.

What a waste of an article.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I said this a while back. I haven't seen the game today but going by what I've heard and the scoreline, it was a very good performance. Since Potter took over, our attack has been transformed, and today the defence was just as good. Again basing it off Eels only scoring 4 pts. It's our best attacking score this season iirc.

P.s: I didn't watch because a) I finally got a nice weather day where I live, and wanted to do some outdoors stuff and b) It seems every time I watch/listen lately, I put the mock on, so after hearing bits and pieces on the radio, and knowing we were 16-0 at the break, I decided I couldn't risk it, so didn't listen again until I saw the final score.

So you can thank me for the win guys lol.
Do yourself a favour and watch the replay my bro

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach, writes PAUL CRAWLEY.

June 13, 2022 - 6:33PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Phil Gould should call off the search. The Bulldogs have found their new head coach. All they have to do is give Mick Potter the job.

Stop wasting more time searching for a better solution.

Potter ticks every box.

He has the Dogs’ DNA. A two-time premiership winning player and a champion of his era.

He already has Gould’s respect because Gus appointed him as interim coach after Trent Barrett was punted.

And he can obviously coach.
That performance against Parramatta was the best the Dogs have played in years.

Every week this squad has played under Potter you could see subtle changes being made but until now it just hasn’t clicked.

But that 34-4 spanking of the Eels was the culmination of all the work that has gone into making these players not only take accountability but to start believing in themselves again.

Matt Burton and Josh Addo-Carr were tremendous. Tevita Pangai was enormous. It was Potter’s call to move Jake Averillo to fullback. Kyle Flanagan suddenly looked a footballer again. Jacob Kiraz. Max King. You could name the lot of them.

Mick Potter is the man to lead the Bulldogs. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty

Mick Potter is the man to lead the Bulldogs. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty

Potter is one of the most humble men you will ever meet but he is no mug.

And he would have learnt a hell of a lot about the politics of the game from his time at the Tigers, where he walked into a hornet’s nest and got blamed for a series of disasters not of his making. That was not his fault as you’ve seen with the coaches that have come and went since.

But he’s had seven years to mull over what he could himself do differently, and when Gus came knocking it gave him the opportunity to put that into practice.

Gould has said previously this is not the job for an inexperienced coach.

And for all the hype about Cameron Ciraldo and his obvious talent, it would still be a huge gamble for him and the Dogs to make this his first head coaching gig.

But Potter would fit like a glove.

The only thing he doesn’t do is talk himself up.

But that win over Parra just did it for him.
A great win for change and definitely a very positive approach in attack but is it enough to make a long term decision on whom to appoint as a coach ?
Let's not rush into making a decision now then regret later, give Potter ample of time to prove himself, if he fits e bill then Potter the Wizard it is !
We have a lot to gain or lose depending on the decision !

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He ticks all the boxes... except 1 - he doesn't want the job!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly right, many rivers to cross yet.
Its 1 very good and pleasing win no doubt but way to soon,
I think almost regardless how well Potter goes (unless some miracle happened) the club will go in a different direction. I'd be surprised if they didn't already have their man. Taking the wins/losers out of it I think we're much improved since Potter's come in (even before today's result). How much of that is how bad Baz actually is and how good Potter is we'll never know.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not often I agree with Crawley, but I would prefer Potter over any other name that has been linked to us through the media. Unless Gus has some other option in mind we haven’t heard about, Mick’s my pick.
I would have thought you’d prefer to have your dad coach the dogs. He did say he could get the best out of you even though you did have some nice touches in that game against parra but also a few bad touches so definitely not your best game.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No!
Most interim coaches come in and the team usually plays better.
All Potter has done is dumbed it down and stripped away the structured play.
It was mostly individual brilliance the honeymoon period will come to an end when teams work them out.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Potter is a good interim option, but he's not going to be attracting talent to the club
Does he need to? We have JAC and Gould for that. Back when we were strong we didn’t need major signings our talent Was mostly homegrown and a production line to success.
By next year we have a core of major signings we need to keep focusing on producing quality juniors

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but 2 intercept tries, 2 off kicks, 1 from the Tballz playbook and 1 when the match was won is hardly anything to crow about. YES we outplayed the Eels but there needs to be more in my opinion so shut up Crawley!
Have a look at the difference in attitude from the players, the more open style footy we are playing, the resilience in defence, the happier faces on the players. All of this is a result of what Potter brings to the team and how we score our tries doesn't matter one bit.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I think I heard that. I put the radio on while driving home after I knew the result, and heard an interview from a bulldog. Thought it was Burto but wasn't sure because I didn't hear who they said it was. He did say something along those lines though, about "just playing footy".

Seriously, if most of the people replying in here don't see that Potter has made a remarkable difference in only a few weeks, I don't know what to say... who knows how much more they'll improve in a few more? It seems like he has a good idea on who will be in the 17 and in what position, and they're already won a huge upset.

I came in here expecting celebration. Instead it's the usual doom and gloom smh.
I'm not sure we will improve heaps on the sort of performance we put in yesterday. But I did say when Potter took over, it would take 4-6 weeks of ball work sessions to get the fluidly passing in. And there was no guarantee that it was going to work, cause it's up to the players.

I'd say that Potter has just brought back a more normal training scheme, one that the players bought into. There were a few positional changes and more focus on discipline which wasn't that great yesterday but we got away with.

At this point, it's just trying a few others in the lower grades in the top grade as opportunities arise (Like the Fox getting selected for Origin again maybe?). Guys being placed on the bench to get a few minutes to give them a taste of the top grade and handle the increased speed and power.

Everything is about next year. But it will look a lot brighter if given we have an easier run coming up (Till the last 3 rounds), that we start putting in consistently, which for me is the sign I would like to see. No point beating Parra like that, then losing to the Tigers next week.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From the very first game that Potter took over our attack has been twice as good. Under Baz we were averaging around 12 points and rarely if ever scored above 16. Baz had the dogs muzzled trying to play a certain way. Potter removed the shackles and we are seeing a free flowing style of footie with sweeping plays from left to right and players standing deeper in attack and taking the ball to the line. Under Potter it’s only 3 games in but in those games we are averaging around 26 points a game in attack. Most importantly defence is getting better too.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter is doing as good a job as he can with what he's got but I don't think he is the answer moving forward.
I think this just shows more how shit of a coach baz is more then anything.
We have scored more points in 4 games under potter then 10 games combined under baz this year..that's just embarrassing on barret. Right call to move him on for sure.
Potter 4 games 98 points
Barrett 10 games 96 points

Last edited: