News Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Gould is straight up about no rush and that it just needs to be done before September I dont see a problem with Mick having a crack. Unless we are worried about missing out on someone (Fittler, Green, Holbrook, Brown... hardly inspiring) then whats the harm in another 4-6 weeks of games under Potter??

Already he has made a couple of changes player wise that appear to be working which is lightyears ahead of the shit we have put up with since the departure of Hasler. It was only a single win but it was against Parra and we have seen signs of improvement pretty much each week since Potter took control. We play the Titans 16th, Tigers 13th and Kniights 12th over the next 5 weeks as well as the Rabbits 7th and Rabbits 5th.

Thats should be a pretty good guide as to how the team and players are responding to Potter.
Yep agreed mate. And I dont think there are any coaches out there that we should be worried about missing out on.

Ciraldo has big wraps on him but so did Barrett and countless other assistants from strong clubs. I could be successful as an assistant coach at Penrith. Have a look at the farkin side they have got.

I am pretty sure Gus already knows who our next coach will be. He would have known before he punted Baz. All that I hope for is a coach that will adapt to the players we have and not try and change them to suit his style (which is exactly what Baz did).

To me the game plan shouldnt be too complex. Just sit them down and say "Righto idiots, pass the ball to Burton and let him kick for the Fox".

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Potter told our forwards to pass more. That's why we looked better. We moved the ball around and found out eels defence.
Keep it up lads

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Gould is straight up about no rush and that it just needs to be done before September I dont see a problem with Mick having a crack. Unless we are worried about missing out on someone (Fittler, Green, Holbrook, Brown... hardly inspiring) then whats the harm in another 4-6 weeks of games under Potter??

Already he has made a couple of changes player wise that appear to be working which is lightyears ahead of the shit we have put up with since the departure of Hasler. It was only a single win but it was against Parra and we have seen signs of improvement pretty much each week since Potter took control. We play the Titans 16th, Tigers 13th and Kniights 12th over the next 5 weeks as well as the Rabbits 7th and Rabbits 5th.

Thats should be a pretty good guide as to how the team and players are responding to Potter.
I don't have a problem with Potter having the rest of the year

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
boys take it easy, doggies seem to crumble after a win, they crumbled after games against the cowboys and roosters

If they win 3 or 4 in a row then id be happy
Have you also noticed how many sides lose their next game after playing us; or at best have a very ordinary game?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Forget that then. We have scored enough points in every match since he has taken over to win. Our problem has been our defence. We have given up big leads each time only to crawl our way back into the match only to toss it away.

But not yesterday. And not because of luck but because of attitude, commitment and resolve. Our goal line defence was tremendous against one of the best attacking teams in the comp. It deserves to be applauded. Lets just see if we can back it up.
Can't argue with that.. hopefully the boys can build it and start stringing some wins together.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here, other than for everyone to cool their jets after one great win (which I agree with).

But let’s break down those tries because it really irks me when intercepts and tries off kicks are somehow seen as inferior:
- Intercept tries need a poor pass from the opposition yes, but they also need the intuition to see it coming, the skill to catch it and the pace to outrun the defence over a long distance. Averillo’s was one of the best you’ll ever see.
- Tries off kicks do tend to be a bit boring these days (kick to a corner where the attack has all the momentum) but our three yesterday were not that: Burton overhead to JAC in space was basically a three man cut-out pass at speed; Burton grubber to JAC was perfectly placed to get JAC around the defence; and Burton to Averillo was just the last play of one of the best attacking sequences we’ve put together in years.
- How is a try when the result is locked in any less impressive than any of the others? If anything it shows we were still hungry and looking to put them to the sword which the best teams do every chance they get.

It’s fine to be cautious but to say yesterday wasn’t anything to crow about is missing the point in my opinion.
It's saying their defences were hardly breached apart from the Kiraz try which was a brilliant team try at a crucial point In the contest.

I take nothing away from a great win but it's not exactly a dominant win.

Truth is when parra scored everybody looked at the scoreboard to see if they were still in it at 28-4.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have a look at the difference in attitude from the players, the more open style footy we are playing, the resilience in defence, the happier faces on the players. All of this is a result of what Potter brings to the team and how we score our tries doesn't matter one bit.
One should be weary of the Honeymoom period.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Best thing potter does is just let them play what’s in front of them..can’t overcoach playmakers

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but 2 intercept tries, 2 off kicks, 1 from the Tballz playbook and 1 when the match was won is hardly anything to crow about. YES we outplayed the Eels but there needs to be more in my opinion so shut up Crawley!
Yeah fam 34-4 , all 6 of those tries must’ve been a fluke!

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potter is the best person to be the interim coach as he has experience and is a steadying influence after a season and a half of turmoil under Baz.. But he's not interested in being the head coach and we need a long term option.. Hopefully he can stay on as an assistant or Reserves coach..
the club would definitely benefit from having Potter in the junior grades somewhere... very experienced, a former great

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This exactly. Parra turned up with the game in their head already won. Our attitude was good but we need to see this week in week out. I think Potter is on the right track but it’s one game. We need to settle down.

The intercepts stuck this time. In previous weeks they have been missed and it’s been try’s at the other end. We had some luck yesterday but if Averillo’s intercept didn’t come off and Parra scored the game would have been totally different.

We need to turn up ready to rip in against the Tigers next week and back it up.
If Averillo missed the intercept they were no chance of scoring, we had the players there to stop them.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here, other than for everyone to cool their jets after one great win (which I agree with).

But let’s break down those tries because it really irks me when intercepts and tries off kicks are somehow seen as inferior:
- Intercept tries need a poor pass from the opposition yes, but they also need the intuition to see it coming, the skill to catch it and the pace to outrun the defence over a long distance. Averillo’s was one of the best you’ll ever see.
- Tries off kicks do tend to be a bit boring these days (kick to a corner where the attack has all the momentum) but our three yesterday were not that: Burton overhead to JAC in space was basically a three man cut-out pass at speed; Burton grubber to JAC was perfectly placed to get JAC around the defence; and Burton to Averillo was just the last play of one of the best attacking sequences we’ve put together in years.
- How is a try when the result is locked in any less impressive than any of the others? If anything it shows we were still hungry and looking to put them to the sword which the best teams do every chance they get.

It’s fine to be cautious but to say yesterday wasn’t anything to crow about is missing the point in my opinion.
Les Johns once scored a try against St George when he was in a similar position to Jake (2 on 1 certain try looming) where he intercepted the pass , raced 30 or so meters, when confronted by defenders he placed a grubber kick of about 30 meters along the sideline, won the race to the ball and scored.

Johnny Raper stood and applauded.

Many old timers regard it as one of the greatest individual tries of all time.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post, Barretts big mistake was in trying to have us play to much like Penrith, actually (not that I like him) Paul Kent said on NRL360 only a few weeks ago that clubs trying to imitate Penrith or the Storm, will only always be a poor imitation of them.
@Mutt Dafty was astute enough to call this out at least 12 months ago.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched the presser and when asked if he'd want the job full time, I loved the smirk Jacko gave him haha.. me thinks there's already been preliminary talks.

Not saying sign him up immediately, but so far so good. If he continues to get results and improve the team, who knows.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
boys take it easy, doggies seem to crumble after a win, they crumbled after games against the cowboys and roosters

If they win 3 or 4 in a row then id be happy
You didn't just compare our wins over Cowboys (especially) and Roosters to yesterday's did ya?