News Phil Gould should call off the search - the Bulldogs have found their new head coach

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's saying their defences were hardly breached apart from the Kiraz try which was a brilliant team try at a crucial point In the contest.

I take nothing away from a great win but it's not exactly a dominant win.

Truth is when parra scored everybody looked at the scoreboard to see if they were still in it at 28-4.
Kiraz try? Don't you mean Avo's second? That was a beauty. Oh, and Kiraz scored a team try too. Anyone suggesting that wasn't a great win over the eels, because of some intercepts and tries from kicks, is mad. That's why we signed Burton and JAC.

Also Potter just nonchalantly said in the post-match presser that he thought they should play that way, because of how Parra defends. He said it as if any moron would know that lol.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah fam 34-4 , all 6 of those tries must’ve been a fluke!
1 win and your on a high horse... Get down before u fall to hard.. Lets start with a Pony and work our way up shall we.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kiraz try? Don't you mean Avo's second? That was a beauty. Oh, and Kiraz scored a team try too. Anyone suggesting that wasn't a great win over the eels, because of some intercepts and tries from kicks, is mad. That's why we signed Burton and JAC.

Also Potter just nonchalantly said in the post-match presser that he thought they should play that way, because of how Parra defends. He said it as if any moron would know that lol.

No the Kiraz try... As said it was at a crucial point in the game when Parra was actually still playing. Avo's try was a ripper but it was at a time when Parra was hardly in the game mentally.

Anyways bugger off, you people think one win and were a top 4 team and Potter is the messiah.. It was a top win, one for the ages considering the hard times we have gone through but seriously get a grip and come back when we win few straight and we start beating full strength, in form teams on a weekly basis.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched the presser and when asked if he'd want the job full time, I loved the smirk Jacko gave him haha.. me thinks there's already been preliminary talks.

Not saying sign him up immediately, but so far so good. If he continues to get results and improve the team, who knows.
He is real old school Bulldogs to me.

A no bullshit type.

Pretty sure he handed this team a few home truths.

Has a quirky personality that most good coaches have as well.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Mutt Dafty was astute enough to call this out at least 12 months ago.
I still find it insane that he just flat out ignored the squads strengths and weaknesses and instead chose to try and replicate a system that our players had absolutely no business trying to attempt. I don't understand how you can make it to that level of the game and be THAT bad lol.

Potter has done a good job, we're moving the ball around more and brought back some chain passing between the forwards and put an emphasis on pushing up with the play. Saw it with the Kiraz try, ball to I think King, Jackson and then Flanagan. Same with the final try, Stimson, King and then Waddell with ZDC and King doubling up on the play and pushing up and the spine doing the same. He's also freed up the spine so they're not running the same predictable plays or running in the same corridor all match. I can't explain our improved defence though, suddenly we were hitting and sticking and getting numbers into the tackle and putting them down effectively. We've literally never done that lol.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit too early say Potter is good enough to be our head coach.

In saying that, I liked what I saw against Parra, and if we can continue to play that way for most of our games, I wouldn’t be opposed to him becoming our head coach.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually had a mate who shoved diamonds up his own arse a couple of times coming out of a pretty dodgy spot in Africa.. Helped him buy his 1st house for cash..
I bet he didn’t whine about it like some on here constantly do

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still find it insane that he just flat out ignored the squads strengths and weaknesses and instead chose to try and replicate a system that our players had absolutely no business trying to attempt. I don't understand how you can make it to that level of the game and be THAT bad lol.

Potter has done a good job, we're moving the ball around more and brought back some chain passing between the forwards and put an emphasis on pushing up with the play. Saw it with the Kiraz try, ball to I think King, Jackson and then Flanagan. Same with the final try, Stimson, King and then Waddell with ZDC and King doubling up on the play and pushing up and the spine doing the same. He's also freed up the spine so they're not running the same predictable plays or running in the same corridor all match. I can't explain our improved defence though, suddenly we were hitting and sticking and getting numbers into the tackle and putting them down effectively. We've literally never done that lol.
The fact King pushes up in the 72nd minute to help create that try after the massive shift he put in shows how valuable he is to this team…big motor

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Defense was great ... first up contact much improved. Surprise, surprise we forced some turnovers, who knew!

Pretty sure a few home truths have been delivered regarding toughness and effort. Potter calls a spade a spade.

I was giving Trent a fair bit of slack, because as you say, we were that bad i was sure there had to be more to it. I placed more blame on the roster than most, but it is becoming obvious that Trent really did stink.

His looks have gotten him far.

Fooled me !

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Complacency and acceptance of defeat is the cancer we have lived with. Getting rid of Mr everyone gets a ribbon and replacing him with an old school “your entitled to nothing” coach even if it’s interim has made a huge difference.

I have said many times that awesome D fixes everything, and it does. Potter played in Dog sides where we dominated with or without the ball via aggression and numbers. They won the middle and supporting the ball carrier were Bulldog hallmarks of previous success, and Its great to see that Potter might have their attention.

Im tipping that we continue that dominance this week.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was enjoying the article until he wrote

" Kyle Flanagan suddenly looked a footballer "

Did I blink and miss this moment???

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Complacency and acceptance of defeat is the cancer we have lived with. Getting rid of Mr everyone gets a ribbon and replacing him with an old school “your entitled to nothing” coach even if it’s interim has made a huge difference.

I have said many times that awesome D fixes everything, and it does. Potter played in Dog sides where we dominated with or without the ball via aggression and numbers. They won the middle and supporting the ball carrier were Bulldog hallmarks of previous success, and Its great to see that Potter might have their attention.

Im tipping that we continue that dominance this week.
Three words

Tevita
Pangai
Junior

If he shows up our forward pack shows up, if he doesn't then nadda

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was enjoying the article until he wrote

" Kyle Flanagan suddenly looked a footballer "

Did I blink and miss this moment???
To be fair I can see Kyle's confidence coming back with every game, each week he looks a little more likely and is taking the ball to the line more and his defencehas been preety solid. Still doesn't have as much talent as Burton's big toe but is at least looking serviceable.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Three words

Tevita
Pangai
Junior

If he shows up our forward pack shows up, if he doesn't then nadda
Yeah nah, I’m a huge TPJ fan as well but it’s not that simple. He has been awesome but there is a bunch of things that have lit the fuse.

Gould Kaos, Fox being dropped, Barrett being moved on, the pressure of the media and it’s bullshit, players being moved on or rumoured to be, Mick Potters appointment, a few of the players being pissed at the attitude of some of their team mates, the arrival of Kiraz, King, the return of RFM, the Burton/Fox bromance, Avo at 1, the removal of Dufty, etc..

Maybe, just maybe we as a club have hit the proverbial rock bottom and have simply had enough..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah nah, I’m a huge TPJ fan as well but it’s not that simple. He has been awesome but there is a bunch of things that have lit the fuse.

Gould Kaos, Fox being dropped, Barrett being moved on, the pressure of the media and it’s bullshit, players being moved on or rumoured to be, Mick Potters appointment, a few of the players being pissed at the attitude of some of their team mates, the arrival of Kiraz, King, the return of RFM, the Burton/Fox bromance, Avo at 1, the removal of Dufty, etc..

Maybe, just maybe we as a club have hit the proverbial rock bottom and have simply had enough..
Thats true. To me it looks like Potter has the ear of TPJ, Burton and JAC. But the problem was always Burton and JAC can't do shit unless the forwards do their job, which probably had Potter, JAC and Burton in TPJs ear.

You could see it in the warm up on the field, he was calm but focused on what he had to do.

I was half joking when I said give TPJ the captaincy, I reckon if you made him believe this was his team, he'd have that controlled aggression week in, week out and be the leader the team needs

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To be fair I can see Kyle's confidence coming back with every game, each week he looks a little more likely and is taking the ball to the line more and his defencehas been preety solid. Still doesn't have as much talent as Burton's big toe but is at least looking serviceable.
I am not questioning the kids heart. He tries hard week in and week out.

BUT you were right when you said "doesn't have as much talent as Burton's big toe" and unfortunately for him that will not make a premiership winning halfback.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing i do like about Kyle is that he dosen't force the pass.

If it's not on he takes the tackle.

His outside supports would appreciate this.

Also underrated for his support play.