Most satisfying Bulldogs game watched live at the Ground, not including GF's

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hands down 1998 Final against Parramatta.
I was there with one other Dogs fan and 5 Parra fans.
They were giving it to us big time. What a comeback. What a feeling of satisfaction. The best game by far.
Watched it on tv but that is my favourite ever dogs game have showed it to my kids I felt it was that important

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was me and the boys that caught the little fucker. Got thanked by Malcom Noad with a signed jersey. Club got me to tell the story to Hadley on 2GB to shut him up.

The security were dragging him out slowly and the **** copped like 100 punches, kicks and a Bulldog mother slapping his face with her shoe lol
LOL!!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was only a young teenager at the time but will never forget going to the 1980 GF
Catching a train in from Canterbury to Central that morning then sitting on a packed SCG hill full of doggies fans and what a fantastic try to boot.
I was only 2 years old then, but my older brother who was 14 years old at the time went to Belmore with our adult cousins and they scored free tickets to the GF from the leagues club. They ended up walking back after the win from the SCG all the way back to Belmore(15-20km) walk Lol, they were too happy to feel tired from walking!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 1998 semi against the Knights when fat thighs John’s had Newcastle 16-0 up against us in the first half but we won I was on the 50 about 6 rows back with tickets I should have had against Parra a week later… (mates kids christening…) :rage:

Thats was awesome but every single game on the hill watching Robbo in the late 70’s early 80’s chanting Robbo Robbo as he came off the back fence are still my all time favourite memory’s.:hearteyes:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Prelim final 2012 vs bunnies the game that sent us to our first GF in 8 years! Eastwood intercepted and beat G.I. to the tryline on the buzzer to score and send us dogs fans into a frenzy! Only thing was the trek home that night I was living in Waterloo at the time lmao surprised I didn’t get bottled haha I will never forget that game.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
round 1 2009 in the rain was cracka got soaked in more ways then 1

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I’ve never seen the Dogs live followed with a win :confused:
I’ve never been to a win at Belmore I’m 0-6 lucky for us I’m not goin’ this Sunday lol

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been fortunate enough to have attended all of our grand finals and Sydney semi finals since 1995 with the exception of 2006 when I was living overseas and 2003 travelling. They were all magic for different reasons so I'll throw this one in given most of the other more famous wins have already been mentioned.

The 1999 semi final vs the Roosters was a standout for crowd atmosphere. Roosters were favourites and had the home semi final at the SFS. They had their 1,500 or so supporters sitting in the two bays either side of the tunnel. About 22,000 Bulldog supporters made the Friday night game filling up the majority of the other bays. It was like a game at Belmore in terms of atmosphere and we got the team over the line. So much so that Adrian Lam complained on TV that it was supposed to be the Roosters' home semi final but none of their supporters turned up. Basic maths Adrian - all the Roosters supporters were there, it was just that security guards weren't flipping the turnstiles over that night to bump up the crowd numbers.

It looked like we'd go on another famous semi final run but unfortunately we got done next game by eventual premiers Melbourne when Matt Geyer scored a late long range try off a wayward Ricky Stuart grubber kick I think.

Last edited:

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1994 Semi final Vs Canberra
1998 Preliminary final Vs Parramatta
2004 Preliminary final Vs Penrith
2012 Preliminary final Vs South Sydney
2014 Semi final Vs Manly

Most devastated loss was the 2009 preliminary Vs Parramatta, that took me years to recover from that loss. I reckon we would have beaten Melbourne in the grand final. But I have to say the round one victory against Manly in the rain and Haz broke the record was fantastic.

Worst loss on TV was 2006 preliminary Vs Brisbane. Another year I thought we had it in the bag.

We could of potentially had a Premiership dynasty that would have never been beaten. Just imagine if things went our way.

1994- well it is what it is
1995- Premiership smashed Manly
1998- Brisbane

2002- salary cap -17 straight victories
2003- tough preliminary loss to the roosters

2004- Premiership
2005- Injuries
2006- Brisbane

2009- now that was the greatest ever rebuild

2012- great team should of won
2013- drama
2014- injuries into the finals

Last edited:

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1994 Semi final Vs Canberra
1998 Preliminary final Vs Parramatta
2004 Preliminary final Vs Penrith
2012 Preliminary final Vs South Sydney
2014 Semi final Vs Manly

Most devastated loss was the 2009 preliminary Vs Parramatta, that took me years to recover from that loss. I reckon we would have beaten Melbourne in the grand final. But I have to say the round one victory against Manly in the rain and Haz broke the record was fantastic.

Worst loss on TV was 2006 preliminary Vs Brisbane. Another year I thought we had it in the bag.

We could of potentially had a Premiership dynasty that would have never been beaten. Just imagine if things went our way.

1994- well it is what it is
1995- Premiership smashed Manly
1998- Brisbane

2002- salary cap -17 straight victories
2003- tough preliminary loss to the roosters

2004- Premiership
2005- Injuries
2006- Brisbane

2009- now that was the greatest ever rebuild

2012- great team should of won
2013- drama
2014- injuries into the finals
That 2012 PF against Rabbitohs was awesome! Wish we can watch replays of it!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Raiders v Doggs at Belmore 3/4/2016.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought I might start a thread regarding the best and most satisfying Bulldogs game watched live at the ground not including Grand Finals.

I've watched a few games over the years where I have been that ecstatic that I was actually overwhelmed with emotion and joy for hours after the game.

I know there have been many, but two games that come to my mind where:

1. Last round of 1991 at Belmore against the Sharks. We needed to win that game to force a midweek playoff against the Magpies in order to play finals footy. We hadn't played in the finals since 1988. Sharks were belting us 16-0, but a second half comeback by the dogs made sure we won the game 26-16. 26 unanswered points. Some of the most entertaining footy we put together and we had the likes of Ewan McGrady, Jonathan Davis, Terry Lamb who just turned it on. I'll never forget that game. We were dead and buried and gone for all money.

2. Round nine 2003 against the Roosters. The Utai Slam! We finished 2002 in last place due to being docked all our points for cheating the cap after leading the comp by a mile and heading for the minor premiership and likely premiership. Roosters won the comp and that round 9 game in 2003 was talked about all week in the media leading into the game. Both clubs knew it was war. The grudge match. It was the real premiers(us) v the fake premiers(them) and we needed to prove we were the real champs. What a game and what a feeling after woods.
Wonder if there is footage of that Sharks game , didn’t know about that one .

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What about the multicultural day in 1993 against eels. Bulldogs won 42 to 6. Nearly 28000 fans attended and we all watched a young Brett Dallas blitz on the wing.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What about the multicultural day in 1993 against eels. Bulldogs won 42 to 6. Nearly 28000 fans attended and we all watched a young Brett Dallas blitz on the wing.
Great game, was there on the hill, recall a massive build up to that game marketing wise and if memory serves correctly, Parra were undefeated or topping the table. Pretty sure they’re wasn’t any themed NRL games up until that point… until this very day it’s close to the ground attendance record - they probably wouldn’t have accepted so many fans if that game was played today.

the 6 points Parra scored must of been at the death because all I remember is the dogs scoring tries and the crowd going ape sh!t

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ahh yes I remember that aforementioned 91 Sharks game well, an absolute cracker I was there as well.Jonathan Davies what a player he carved up it in the second half that was a great day...

BIG downer though we inexplicably lost the fukn playoff against the Magpies mid week I was there at that game too.
Was both gutted and disbelieving we didn't win that night.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think someone has already mentioned it, 1998 Final vs Eels, after we came back game before vs Newcastle, and we came from behind again, was riding high, thinking after we made GF after finishing ninth, nothing could stop us... was wrong. [emoji22]

I think the buzz lasted until GF morning, it was then that the nerves set in.