Most satisfying Bulldogs game watched live at the Ground, not including GF's

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ohh I forgot the Newcastle game at the end of 2011. Was at the game with Newcastle mates and they were spanking us by half time. Massive come back and that front flip try by barba

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched 79 on tv we just fell short but had a fantastic second half the boys had a real dig.
My mates dad who lived down the street took a few of us at the time, we were too young to fly solo lol
First game of league I ever watched, on Tele with my grandad in central Qld . As an 8 year old, I cheered for the blue team and been supporting the Dogs ever since!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll have trouble remembering specific games, besides grand finals, but I fondly remember probably two semifinals versus Canberra in the 93-95 era. I remember where I was sitting at SFS and being in raptures throughout the match as it was so tense and exciting. Our defence was so good back then and it won us many games.

I was also at the famous comeback versus Parra in 1998 and it was incredible. I was actually on my way out feeling such disappointment, then we scored while I was leaving, so I sat back down and the rest is history.

Another regular season game I remember was Baa’s last game at Belmore iirc. We put about 60 odd points on Cowboys.

There are a couple of others like (I think) we played Wigan at Belmore and I remember the pommy fans being interesting. iirc one fan was using the bin lid as a noise maker. Opening and shutting it to “cheer” for the team. Another game that sticks in the old memory bank was (I’m pretty sure) against Manly. It was a night game at Belmore and I have no idea when (would have been mid 90s sometime) but what made it special was it was the most packed I’ve probably ever experienced a crowd anywhere. There would have been over 20k and it was standing room only. I was standing in the south east corner and couldn’t see anything lol. But the atmosphere was incredible. That was when us and Manly were elite rivals.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I thought I might start a thread regarding the best and most satisfying Bulldogs game watched live at the ground not including Grand Finals.

I've watched a few games over the years where I have been that ecstatic that I was actually overwhelmed with emotion and joy for hours after the game.

I know there have been many, but two games that come to my mind where:

1. Last round of 1991 at Belmore against the Sharks. We needed to win that game to force a midweek playoff against the Magpies in order to play finals footy. We hadn't played in the finals since 1988. Sharks were belting us 16-0, but a second half comeback by the dogs made sure we won the game 26-16. 26 unanswered points. Some of the most entertaining footy we put together and we had the likes of Ewan McGrady, Jonathan Davis, Terry Lamb who just turned it on. I'll never forget that game. We were dead and buried and gone for all money.

2. Round nine 2003 against the Roosters. The Utai Slam! We finished 2002 in last place due to being docked all our points for cheating the cap after leading the comp by a mile and heading for the minor premiership and likely premiership. Roosters won the comp and that round 9 game in 2003 was talked about all week in the media leading into the game. Both clubs knew it was war. The grudge match. It was the real premiers(us) v the fake premiers(them) and we needed to prove we were the real champs. What a game and what a feeling after woods.
2009 Gosford

Bulldogs 26 d Storm 10

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Non finals game would have to be the last round in 95 v the cowboys at belmore and I also enjoyed the game against the storm in the heavy rain when Polly scored under the post.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2015 back to Belmore game. That night was electric.
Dunno how I forgot this one! That was probably the last time I attended Belmore and we were right near where the boys went off celebrating. Was so pumped!

There were some great semis versus Souths too circa 2012-2014.

How about a really bad experience? Sydney Showground qualifying final and Francis Meli scores 5 lol.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Round 1 vs manly 2009, things were looking up, none of you pansies invaded the pitch for el masri's record.
No, but I was at that game and also the one where he retired or something. I think we played Warriors at ANZ and fans were allowed onto the field after the match. It was the only time I’ve ever been onto the playing surface and I don’t remember ever seeing it allowed any other time. I remember being amazed at how soft the grass was lol. I even took a handful and kept it for years. May still have it for all I know.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Round 1 vs manly 2009, things were looking up, none of you pansies invaded the pitch for el masri's record.

I was there for one of the great Bulldogs tries as well, will never forget this one:

We put 60 on the rooters that day.
Got in before me mate.
I was going to post the same 2 games!

Round 1 2009 was great because we had the spoon and the Beagles were premiers and we had a new look squad with Ennis, J-Moz, Stagg etc and we knocked them over. I remember Kev Moore (his first game as coach) saying at the presser ‘I might resign now with a 100% win record!’ :-).

Round 3 2010 for 3 reasons:

1) We won
2) We won big
3) It was the Chooks

The next day I told a Chook supporting colleague to ring Chook Leagues to ask why they didn’t turn up and he did, at least the gal on the phone took it well :-).

B2A02D89-EC2B-4051-9D98-8E6DC7F61496.jpeg

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was only a young teenager at the time but will never forget going to the 1980 GF
Catching a train in from Canterbury to Central that morning then sitting on a packed SCG hill full of doggies fans and what a fantastic try to boot.
My very first Bulldog memory that day mate!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Most devastated loss was the 2009 preliminary Vs Parramatta
Remember it well mate.
When The General went down early I thought we were done for. I had to tell two #ParraScum supporters to can it too as they were celebrating Patten’s injury. Told them how brave they were (not) and I would never do that if the situation was reversed and an Eel went down. A few supporters within ear shot clapped and said ‘here here’ and they didn’t say another word all night, even when they won. Boneheads.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
BIG downer though we inexplicably lost the fukn playoff against the Magpies mid week I was there at that game too.
Was both gutted and disbelieving we didn't win that night.
I was there too: Parra Stadium on a Wednesday night. And worse we lost to a Pies team with several ex-Bulldogs including Langers, Cement, Thomas and Farrar. I wore a black arm band the next day :-).
On the flip side our future Captain also played that night for the Pies: Darren Britt.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't remember who we were versing, and I can't even remember the year. But we were down by 30 points with about 12 minutes left. My mates all walked out.

The Mrs and I hung around to watch the end. Dogs came back and won, and it was the most thrilling thing I've seen since the classic Bulldogs semi where Dogs came back and Silva may have kicked the winning field goal before extra time, but the touchies couldn't tell if it went over, then we smashed them in extra time.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I watched this game in a bar in Bali with my now wife. Cant believe she a tually married me after that game. She must have thought i was a lunatic! Lol
I missed that game as I was flying back from LA.
No connectivity or streaming back then and most of the way home it’s all I could think about. Landed the next morning in Sydney and the phone went on immediately to get the result. The Border Force fella asked why I was so happy after such a long flight and I said ‘The Dogs won last night and we’re still a shot at the title’. He just said ‘Welcome Home’ and let me through. Pity the fairytale ended against Soufs.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, Patten and Noddy's last game was great. Mainly 'cause a good hour after the game, security were trying to drag Pritchard from the field but he wouldn't stop shaking hands and signing jersies.

Was also at Terry Lamb's last game. But that one belongs in the thread of "most depressing games you've attended"