News Matt Burton wants out

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Anything we have to pay Napa we would have too.
Its all relative though because every player has been paid up until this point. The percentage of cap space a player takes up is still the same.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its all relative though because every player has been paid up until this point. The percentage of cap space a player takes up is still the same.
Provided we have the money for Burton remaining we would be ok. The dead money we are paying for Napa we would still be there. It has to be because he’s contracted

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Provided we have the money for Burton remaining we would be ok. The dead money we are paying for Napa we would still be there.
I think that's just one of the problems we don't have the money for Burton unless Penrith pick up more freight on Napa.

Napa probably isn't keen on the move either unless Penrith offered him another year or two.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Anything we have to pay Napa we would have too. So as long as we have what’s required for Burton I don’t see an issue
How do you not see an issue ?

Penrith want us to cover $400k of the $500k that Napa is owed if we do a player trade .

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you not see an issue ?

Penrith want us to cover $400k of the $500k that Napa is owed if we do a player trade .
That aspect sucks , I realise that. But we will still be paying him if he is playing for Mounties too.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That aspect sucks , I realise that. But we will still be paying him if he is playing for Mounties too.
Yep you are entitled to your opinion.

Essentially though we would be paying nearly $900k for Burton if we accepted their offer. That's big money for a kid who has played 3 games.

It just wont happen under those terms in my opinion. The days of use paying freight for players to play at other clubs are in the past

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We all bag Bennett and Gould but they have proven themselves to put the individual player's interests , and the good of the NRL more generally, first, in letting players go who's opportunities are blocked at their club, when they know they have a lot more to offer the game.

Of course our own club has been very good like that too lol.

Letting Matt go would be in everyone's best interests except Penrith. Fair enough.

It's a shame the player doesn't have say a Player Commission to adjudicate on matters such as this where a sensible outcome can be negotiated.

The NRL would be better for it.

If Penrith dont get a halves injury, and he doesn't get to show his full skills on the big stage, Matt is likely to become very disillusioned and depressed at his plight.

My earlier suggestion of all contracts having only player options for their last contracted year will probably become standard practice as its the only way around this.

Any young up and comer chased after by several clubs, will insist their manager sign them to short deals with p.o. last year so they can move to greener pastures earlier if the opportunity arises.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Our forwards probably came out on top of the Sharks tbh, just had a poor first 20 minutes and started slow.
Plus as usual Sutton caned us with "penalties" (6 agains penalise), due to the shit audio I couldn't count the 6 agains, but there was a lot. Roughly I reckon we had around 40% of possession in the first half. The boys did well in defence to keep it to 12 nil.

Go Dogs

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep you are entitled to your opinion.

Essentially though we would be paying nearly $900k for Burton if we accepted their offer. That's big money for a kid who has played 3 games.

It just wont happen under those terms in my opinion. The days of use paying freight for players to play at other clubs are in the past
I know what your saying, and you’re right. By the same token, we wouldn’t agree to pay 650 for Napa to play for Mounties either. And barring injury that’s where he will be.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Avo can come in and hit it off with Flanno immediately (sounds like he will as Flanno publicly saying he wants him there in round one)

And if we can uncover a gem at hooker in Deitz then we will score a lot of points this season which means I don’t mind waiting till 22 for Burton

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Avo can come in and hit it off with Flanno immediately (sounds like he will as Flanno publicly saying he wants him there in round one)

And if we can uncover a gem at hooker in Deitz then we will score a lot of points this season which means I don’t mind waiting till 22 for Burton
Hopefully you’re right and Avo can be an immediate success. Dietz wasn’t playing against a fresh opposition but he looks good.We looked a bit clunky against the sharks.And I can’t see them finishing anywhere near the 8

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you’re right and Avo can be an immediate success. Dietz wasn’t playing against a fresh opposition but he looks good.We looked a bit clunky against the sharks.And I can’t see them finishing anywhere near the 8
There's a fair bit of space between the contenders and pretenders this year. Souths should win if they stay fit and then either Penrith, Storm or Raiders will meet them in the GF.

The rest of the comp should be at least 20/1 (including the roosters who are ageing).

The good thing for us is that ther isnt alot between the teams vying for the bottom of the 8. We are a chance if we get a decent run with injuries and fair go from the peanuts with the whistle

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I think Burton coming next season might be better for us in the long-run tbh.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My earlier suggestion of all contracts having only player options for their last contracted year will probably become standard practice as its the only way around this.

Any young up and comer chased after by several clubs, will insist their manager sign them to short deals with p.o. last year so they can move to greener pastures earlier if the opportunity arises.
The problem with that is the Club always has the most negotiating power at initial contract time, "look kid here's the minimum NRL contract at $230k for 2 years, if you insist on 1+1 then see ya later, there's another 2 guys standing out side, one of them will take it". In the end $230k is more money than an 18 year old probably has ever seen. There will always be players/agents who will crack and sign, especially if they don't have any other offers.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I know what your saying, and you’re right. By the same token, we wouldn’t agree to pay 650 for Napa to play for Mounties either. And barring injury that’s where he will be.
Round 1 is not far away, so we will find out pretty soon what Barrett's thoughts are. Baring a deliberate slow return from injury I personally can't see Napa outside the 17.

Go Dogs

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's a fair bit of space between the contenders and pretenders this year. Souths should win if they stay fit and then either Penrith, Storm or Raiders will meet them in the GF.

The rest of the comp should be at least 20/1 (including the roosters who are ageing).

The good thing for us is that ther isnt alot between the teams vying for the bottom of the 8. We are a chance if we get a decent run with injuries and fair go from the peanuts with the whistle
100% I think we will be the best of the bottom 8 , If we didn’t have such a tough draw,I reckon we’d definitely make the 8. We do play some of the better teams through the origin period, so hopefully that works in our favour

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Round 1 is not far away, so we will find out pretty soon what Barrett's thoughts are. Baring a deliberate slow return from injury I personally can't see Napa outside the 17.

Go Dogs
Really? Maybe I’m the only 1 that doesn’t rate him. The way the game is speeding up, I don’t see him playing much of a roll.Out of our 5 props who would you have him ahead of ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Because of the money he is on he will start in the 17 until someone pushes him out (if Baz is fair dinkum)