News Matt Burton wants out

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% I think we will be the best of the bottom 8 , If we didn’t have such a tough draw,I reckon we’d definitely make the 8. We do play some of the better teams through the origin period, so hopefully that works in our favour
From Rd 19 onwards we have a pretty good draw, I see us winning 6 to 9 games in rds 1 to 18 if we are even slightly more competitive than last year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Really? Maybe I’m the only 1 that doesn’t rate him. The way the game is speeding up, I don’t see him playing much of a roll.Out of our 5 props who would you have him ahead of ?
I reckon he is surplus for sure.

But Baz kinda has to play him on that kinda money. If he doesnt get the job done, if Baz is any kind of coach, and we all think he is, he will bring in the best performing reserve grader.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know it's all hypothetical at this point, but who is to say that if Burton was able to come over this season that he'd be after the 450k this year that he gets from next season?

He's on about 200k now, so it's possible he might be willing to remain on that salary this season if that was the only way to help make a deal work which would allow him to play FG this season.

Case in point, Luke Thompson came over early last season and would have earned a fair bit less (percentage wise) than what his deal was worth starting from this season..

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats where your wrong though. He will be a starting prop unless his form is poor.
It has been since he’s been with us, I doubt that will change. The only way he should start is if the 4 other props who are better than him get injured

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Because of the money he is on he will start in the 17 until someone pushes him out (if Baz is fair dinkum)
The money he is on and the fact Thompson won’t be back till round 5 after that Baz won’t have us carrying dead weight !

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't think we will see Burton until 2022 or unless Penrith injure him and discard him to us early to repair him so they don't have to pay for it. Yes they have a cheap FG quality player and he's contracted to them but as we all know, they are c*nts and my like for them has gone down considerably. Won't make the mistake of backing them again, even if it is against the usual mob in the GF.

I think we're going to have a long season because Flanno is going to get hammered all season long without even a reserve grade quality half to help him. For this reason we will see a season like the last few and I just hope the extra burden on Flanno won't set him back.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's all hypothetical at this point, but who is to say that if Burton was able to come over this season that he'd be after the 450k this year that he gets from next season?

He's on about 200k now, so it's possible he might be willing to remain on that salary this season if that was the only way to help make a deal work which would allow him to play FG this season.

Case in point, Luke Thompson came over early last season and would have earned a fair bit less (percentage wise) than what his deal was worth starting from this season..
Very good point . I think the NRL will make that the norm in future . You can break a contract but it can’t be for more money.

But it doesn’t change anything much now. Penrith still have him on shit money and he is great backup

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It has been since he’s been with us, I doubt that will change. The only way he should start is if the 4 other props who are better than him get injured
I think you need to let the season start and see how he goes. He will make his own bed if his form remains the same as it has come to be, but if, like me, you are expecting all of our players improve under Baz, then theres also a chance he can finally produce some good ootball. If not, see you later.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you need to let the season start and see how he goes. He will make his own bed if his form remains the same as it has come to be, but if, like me, you are expecting all of our players improve under Baz, then theres also a chance he can finally produce some good ootball. If not, see you later.
I’m an optimist,And I hope you’re right, maybe he will improve under Baz’s tutelage.But I was pretty impressed with how the 3 props went on Saturday and I think Thompson is better than those 3. I was unsure about Hetherington, But after Saturday I couldn’t have been more impressed.

Go Dogs

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with your comments regarding TB giving players a fair shot come season proper.
He will give the starting squad some time to settle into the game plan and see who performs under pressure & who doesn’t
I also believe everyone is going to improve under the new coaching team but in saying that particular players might need special attention to hone their skills.
At the end of the day Trent will determine a players fate and possible relegation into lower grades .
We are not going to rise again by carrying sub standard players along all year long.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m an optimist,And I hope you’re right, maybe he will improve under Baz’s tutelage.But I was pretty impressed with how the 3 props went on Saturday and I think Thompson is better than those 3. I was unsure about Hetherington, But after Saturday I couldn’t have been more impressed.

Go Dogs
Yeah i thought Hetherington was fantastic. He didnt stip, and his last hit up was as good as his first.
Atoni and Elliot had more impact on the game, but Hetherington was very good.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I tend to agree with your comments regarding TB giving players a fair shot come season proper.
He will give the starting squad some time to settle into the game plan and see who performs under pressure & who doesn’t
I also believe everyone is going to improve under the new coaching team but in saying that particular players might need special attention to hone their skills.
At the end of the day Trent will determine a players fate and possible relegation into lower grades .
We are not going to rise again by carrying sub standard players along all year long.
Thats it. I think Napa deserves the chance to lose his spot. But if he is outshone by Atoni, Ogden or Hetherington, then im sure Baz will swing the axe.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah i thought Hetherington was fantastic. He didnt stip, and his last hit up was as good as his first.
Atoni and Elliot had more impact on the game, but Hetherington was very good.
I am surprised panthers let Hetherington go especially considering they are short of middles this year. He wasn’t in their 17 last year but he would have been for sure this year. At a good price too.

Farkin palookas out there

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats it. I think Napa deserves the chance to lose his spot. But if he is outshone by Atoni, Ogden or Hetherington, then im sure Baz will swing the axe.
I’d say his patience will start wearing thin if results and general improvement is not forthcoming.
Let’s hope this isn’t the case for all concerned parties ( club,players,supporters)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I am surprised panthers let Hetherington go especially considering they are short of middles this year. He wasn’t in their 17 last year but he would have been for sure this year. At a good price too.

He was on a big contract and Panthers needed to release him to retain others, pretty sure they're still contributing to his contract with us this season.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d say his patience will start wearing thin if results and general improvement is not forthcoming.
Let’s hope this isn’t the case for all concerned parties ( club,players,supporters)
Everyone has been poorly coached and trained for a while now, but with all the changes, theres no reason why Napa cant also improve. Time will tell i guess. If anyone is not performing im sure they will be shown the door.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Their loss, our gain. Im good with that! Lol