News Matt Burton wants out

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We still have to pay for Napa regardless, at least we will have something useful this way.

Go Dogs
It irks but yes we are saddled with that contract anyway. Might as well get something good to come of it.

We have enough forwards to cover for him.
But no 5/8 like Burton.

I'd be hiring a rolls royce, cleaning out his locker for him, give him a bunch of roses and driving him over there to bring Matt back in the Roller with me lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I can imagine Matt being very toey at Penrith.

They've re-signed their 5/8 and centre and bought new backs.

He knows he is in reserve grade and shunted out sweating on an injury.

Then looks over at us just crying out for him, knowing he will be the new Bulldogs 5/8 hero.

Changing a whole club's fortunes with a huge personal part to play in that.

Plus 3 x the money.

It will be a tough year for him and very mentally challenging.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Basically Penrith wanted us to pay $960k for them to release Burton early. That's $650k of Napa's contract, they wanted to pay nothing, plus $250k which is Burton's contract with us, plus reimburse them the $60k that they had already paid Burton. Every cent of which is included in the CAP, which means we use up $960k of our cap and they effectively get a Cap increase of $960k.

Anyone who thinks that we should have accepted the Burton for Napa under those terms swap needs to see a doctor immediately, they are seriously delusional.
We still have to pay for Napa regardless, at least we will have something useful this way.
And we have to pay for Burton at his Bulldogs contract rate
And we have to repay Penrith what they have already paid Burton
Add it up, it means that we would effectively be paying $960k out of our Cap for Burton, for 6 months, with zero pre season with us.
And Penrith effectively get a $960k bump in their Salary Cap.

Seriously delusional.

Go Dogs

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It irks but yes we are saddled with that contract anyway. Might as well get something good to come of it.

We have enough forwards to cover for him.
But no 5/8 like Burton.

I'd be hiring a rolls royce, cleaning out his locker for him, give him a bunch of roses and driving him over there to bring Matt back in the Roller with me lol
I’ll piggyback him to Penrith if necessary. It may well be too late in financial terms, but I have heard Baz say he is still hopeful which suggests it’s somehow possible. And I’m still optimistic.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can imagine Matt being very toey at Penrith.

They've re-signed their 5/8 and centre and bought new backs.

He knows he is in reserve grade and shunted out sweating on an injury.

Then looks over at us just crying out for him, knowing he will be the new Bulldogs 5/8 hero.

Changing a whole club's fortunes with a huge personal part to play in that.

Plus 3 x the money.

It will be a tough year for him.
Despite what Cleary says, his pathway seems to be blocked. They just don’t want to publicly say we’re keeping him as a A cheap spare
cheap

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Add it up, it means that we would effectively be paying $960k out of our Cap for Burton, for 6 months, with zero pre season with us.

Seriously delusional.

Go Dogs
The end justifies means as they say. So what if on paper we have a financial loss, we have that anyway paying for Napa, who gives us zero return for 650. The money doesn’t play 5/8 Burton does.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Despite what Cleary says, his pathway seems to be blocked. They just don’t want to publicly say we’re keeping him as a A cheap spare
cheap
Looks that way...can't blame them but not in the player's best interests (as if Cleary ever thinks like that....except where his son is concerned)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The end justifies means as they say. So what if on paper we have a financial loss, we have that anyway paying for Napa, who gives us zero return for 650. The money doesn’t play 5/8 Burton does.
It is a dumb deal on paper but not on the field or as far as results either.

Maybe some of the reported monies, as detailed by TT, can be eased.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looks that way...can't blame them but not in the player's best interests (as if Cleary ever thinks like that....except where his son is concerned)
Strategically I understand their decision. But they can’t say this is doing anything other than impeding his progress and development. It can’t be doing much for him in terms f his happiness and mental well-being, which you’ve pointed out. I’d hate to think it has something to with Clearys pettiness

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Seriously delusional.

Go Dogs
Please stop talking sense.

No place for that here in TK.. where every bloke and his dog reckons they're infallible.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is a dumb deal on paper but not on the field or as far as results either.

Maybe some of the reported monies, as detailed by TT, can be eased.
Contractually/Salary cap wise probably not, but ive no doubt the league’s club would happily tip in the required cash to offset any wages,development costs or grievances outside the cap they may have

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Contractually/Salary cap wise probably not, but ive no doubt the league’s cub would happily tip in the required cash to offset any wages,development costs or grievances outside the cap they may have
Cap space is much more important to Penrith than cash. If that was the case we would have cut a cheque months ago and got it done.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cap space is much more important to Penrith than cash. If that was the case we would have cut a cheque months ago and got it done.
They’ve signed everyone they wanted now the cap space is largely irrelevant

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They’ve signed everyone they wanted now the cap space is largely irrelevant
They seem to be on the look out for another prop. They were after Napa and there’s talk they want David Fifita (Andrews brother) so they might not be done with the signings yet.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They seem to be on the look out for another prop. They were after Napa and there’s talk they want David Fifita (Andrews brother) so they might not be done with the signings yet.
Fair point. I was thinking in terms of who they wanted to re-sign. Still, I’d swap Napa for a handful of magic beans . Hopefully if they’re still chasing a prop the deal isn’t dead and buried.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair point. I was thinking in terms of who they wanted to re-sign. Still, I’d swap Napa for a handful of magic beans . Hopefully if they’re still chasing a prop the deal isn’t dead and buried.
I think the Napa deal won’t work due to our cap position. Penrith are going to have to come to the party and cover a lot more freight than they currently willing to or it’s no chance of happening.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the Napa deal won’t work due to our cap position. Penrith are going to have to come to the party and cover a lot more freight than they currently willing to or it’s no chance of happening.
I know Baz is still hopeful of Burton coming this year so we must have the money spare. And Napa’s wages would already be accounted for.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know Baz is still hopeful of Burton coming this year so we must have the money spare. And Napa’s wages would already be accounted for.
I’m not sure I understand how Napa’s wages have been accounted for?

Last edited: