News Matt Burton wants out

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Baz is still hopeful of Burton coming this year so we must have the money spare. And Napa’s wages would already be accounted for.
Yes Baz is still hopeful but Napa's wages havent been "accounted for". He is on 650k a year and has been paid from November 1 so that means he still has around $500k to be paid. Penrith wanted us to pay around $400k of that.

And as TwinTurbo said we would have to pay Burton at $450k plus the $60k Penrith have already paid him.

So the Napa/Burton swap would cost us over $900k. Hopefully people start to realise this. We dont have $900k left in the cap.

I am not saying it wont happen but people saying that we should have agreed to the Napa swap on Penrith's terms have no idea what they are talking about sorry.

If its going to happen then the terms need to change considerably. Something like we pay $200k of Napa's contract and we dont reimburse Penrith a cent for Burton.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes Baz is still hopeful but Napa's wages havent been "accounted for". He is on 650k a year and has been paid from November 1 so that means he still has around $500k to be paid. Penrith wanted us to pay around $400k of that.

And as TwinTurbo said we would have to pay Burton at $450k plus the $60k Penrith have already paid him.

So the Napa/Burton swap would cost us over $900k. Hopefully people start to realise this. We dont have $900k left in the cap.

I am not saying it wont happen but people saying that we should have agreed to the Napa swap on Penrith's terms have no idea what they are talking about sorry.

If its going to happen then the terms need to change considerably. Something like we pay $200k of Napa's contract and we dont reimburse Penrith a cent for Burton.
have these figures been confirmed? they seem outrageous.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Yes let's start negotiating on TK on that basis :grinning:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s on a contract we would have to have it.
Of course but Penrith still want the Dogs paying very close to the full contract amount for Napa to play for them. Then you add in the Burton deal and it gets close to a million dollars which I doubt we have the cap space for.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We can't afford to lose Napa. We saw evidence of that against the Sharks in the trial run. We are already thin on props and while we may miss out on Burton for season 2021 we have ready-made replacements in Averello, Wakeham and sorry for mentioning this name but Lachlan Lewis LOL to play outside Flanno. We lose Napa and we don't have a replacement.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

we we’re trying to get Burton over with no swap, therefore we have that money for that spare. And Napa is contracted so we would have to have his money too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Of course but Penrith still want the Dogs paying very close to the full contract amount for Napa to play for them. Then you add in the Burton deal and it gets close to a million dollars which I doubt we have the cap space for.
In a nutshell. Just known facts pls.

$500k remaining to Napa to be paid by Dogs.

70k? remaining to Burton from Panfers.

That is current monies owing to each player for the remainder of the year?

May be Matt would sign a contract for this year at say $200k.

It's up to Penrith so probably dead in the water if they want more than that...but Laundry might have some rabbit he can pull outa a hat.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We can't afford to lose Napa. We saw evidence of that against the Sharks in the trial run. We are already thin on props and while we may miss out on Burton for season 2021 we have ready-made replacements in Averello, Wakeham and sorry for mentioning this name but Lachlan Lewis LOL to play outside Flanno. We lose Napa and we don't have a replacement.
Our forwards probably came out on top of the Sharks tbh, just had a poor first 20 minutes and started slow.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree it is a crazy deal & entirely one sided.
What i think some have been trying to explain is that we have already accounted for Napa's wages in our cap for 2021 (irrespective of if he plays with us or Penrith) so the impact, assuming he goes (which he hopefully wont in this deal as it stands) is already included in our total cap.
The actual impact to the cap (of this deal) would be Burton's $450 per our contract + the $60 Penrith have paid Burton to date. I would also add that we would likely need to replace Napa with a base salary prop $120(??).
So although the actual amount we would have to give up is astronomical ($900k+++), the actual additional space in the cap that this transaction would add compared to right now would be $450k+$60k+$120k.......I think....

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our forwards probably came out on top of the Sharks tbh, just had a poor first 20 minutes and started slow.
Long season though bro and between Thompson and Hetherington their bound to see some time on the sidelines due to some suspension LOL

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree it is a crazy deal & entirely one sided.
What i think some have been trying to explain is that we have already accounted for Napa's wages in our cap for 2021 (irrespective of if he plays with us or Penrith) so the impact, assuming he goes (which he hopefully wont in this deal as it stands) is already included in our total cap.
The actual impact to the cap (of this deal) would be Burton's $450 per our contract + the $60 Penrith have paid Burton to date. I would also add that we would likely need to replace Napa with a base salary prop $120(??).
So although the actual amount we would have to give up is astronomical ($900k+++), the actual additional space in the cap that this transaction would add compared to right now would be $450k+$60k+$120k.......I think....
that sounds about right. And also i cant see how the salary cap auditor would allow Penrith to have Napa on their books for zero dollars with us paying the whole amoount

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Long season though bro and between Thompson and Hetherington their bound to see some time on the sidelines due to some suspension LOL
Oh yh we need depth, I just think our forwards were mostly pretty good if we forget the first 20. More metres per carry, more PC metres, faster play the ball, better tackle efficiency, etc. Elliott and Waddell also got through a lot of work, would've been interesting to see their numbers if they played the full 80...Waddell probably would've just had a couple of more dropped balls lol.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell. Just known facts pls.

$500k remaining to Napa to be paid by Dogs.

70k? remaining to Burton from Panfers.

That is current monies owing to each player for the remainder of the year?

May be Matt would sign a contract for this year at say $200k.

It's up to Penrith so probably dead in the water if they want more than that...but Laundry might have some rabbit he can pull outa a hat.
Napa would have around $433k owed to him until November if he is on $650k.

I have no idea about Burton I assume he is on a minimum deal so $70k would probably be a right.

Penrith have to come to the party to get it done and they don't look very keen at all.

I doubt it happens this year.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he should of played really shit in the trial that way he gets released...

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wakeham and Lewis May be able to fill in , but they aren’t viable options for a season.And if we lose Flanno to injury we have no decent halves. Perhaps Averillo could be but it would be a work in progress, which seems pointless to spend a year developing him at 5/8 with Burton coming next year anyway. We would be better off putting the time in to developing Avo for the position he will be playing in the future.
We had no problem making ground without Napa, he isn’t a force in defence anymore either,he is slow and not overly skilful.And we still have Thompson and RFM to return as well. Napa won’t be ahead of either of those. Nor will he be ahead of Ogden , Atoni or Hetherington.
There is a reason halves get paid more than props because they are harder to develop and fewer in number.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Napa would have around $433k owed to him until November if he is on $650k.

I have no idea about Burton I assume he is on a minimum deal so $70k would probably be a right.

Penrith have to come to the party to get it done and they don't look very keen at all.

I doubt it happens this year.
Any money they want paid for what Burton has already been paid wouldn’t be from our cap to theirs in any case I don’t think.