News Matt Burton wants out

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Penrith can talk him up all they want and crap on about his development,
that’s it just talk because at the end of the day he will be in reserve grade all year long
A player who is leaving has virtually no chance of cracking the main squad ahead of others.
Jaemon salmon and Tyrone may are back up
The centre thing was bullshit
They have centres coming out of there arse

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah. This conversation has been done to death but we don't have the depth in the front row to ship him out. We don't have the money in the salary cap to be able to pay for his $$ at Penrith either. It's a non-starter I'm sorry.
Agree with the salary cap part but disagree with the depth part. Between Thompson, Hetherington, Atoni, Ogden, Suemanufagai, and even RFM I think we have enough depth to cover for Napa

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jaemon salmon and Tyrone may are back up
The centre thing was bullshit
They have centres coming out of there arse
We can talk about this till the cows come home,unfortunately the contract starts next year
I won’t let this saga dappen my enthusiasm for a good season.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barrett said Averillo's best position is #6 right now, but it may not be his best position going forward.
Who knows what the future will reveal.

Go Dogs
My biggest fear is we lose this kid.

He is easily the best junior we have had come through our system since Barba.

And I dont want another Thurstan situation...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Barrett has shot himself in the foot on this topic.

He came out and said that Avo's best position is 6...

How's that gonna work out next year when we have Burton?
Jake re-signed with us knowing Burton was likely to join us...I'm sure the coversations Baz has with him are different to what he says in public. I do think his best position is 6 but think he could play centre and fullback over time.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jake re-signed with us knowing Burton was likely to join us...I'm sure the coversations Baz has with him are different to what he says in public. I do think his best position is 6 but think he could play centre and fullback over time.
Barrett also quoted stating Allen is an out-and-out fullback. You don't sign a bloke for 3 years as a depth signing in a position.

I just hope the rest of what you say is true :disrelieved: will lose my shit if we lose Avo.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Barrett said Averillo's best position is #6 right now, but it may not be his best position going forward.
Who knows what the future will reveal.

Go Dogs
(R) Centre ... Averillo has too much talent not to be in the side ... Hoppa's last year, may not even see the year out with new trade deadline.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
(R) Centre ... Averillo has too much talent not to be in the side ... Hoppa's last year, may not even see the year out with new trade deadline.
Yep I think Averillo will play centre next year. He will probably spend a few years there and then him and the club will re-assess.

I though offensively he was great at centre last year. He was diabolical in defence but that was just in the reading of the play. That can be fixed

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My biggest fear is we lose this kid.

He is easily the best junior we have had come through our system since Barba.

And I dont want another Thurstan situation...
If he proves he's good enough i can see a few options.
Avo FB, Allen Centres
Avo Centres etc.
Flanno fails, Burton to half and avo 6

I dont think its all bad.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Things changed lol

Cotric was badly let down by his source ;)

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Things changed lol

Cotric was badly let down by his source ;)
To be fair, Cotric had best intentions, Burton arriving has been in the pipeline since we landed his signature .... Burton is coming .... round one was just the bonus.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he proves he's good enough i can see a few options.
Avo FB, Allen Centres
Avo Centres etc.
Flanno fails, Burton to half and avo 6

I dont think its all bad.
Of course it's not all bad. Great position to be in IMO. The more talented players we have to squeeze into positions the better. Better than having no other option than Lewis, Montoya or Holland...remember that...or even better, lets throw Mitch Brown or Perret at fullback because our rock star fullback hasn't arrived yet. I'm glad to have these selection headaches, what a headache to have! Far beats the headache I had this morning, but the Nurofen did the trick, I feel better now :grinning:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Avo can easily be the #14 Ex factor position for the next 2 years. Thing is he has to live up to all this hype TK has thrown onto him first.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed,
6 may be Jake's best position, but if you have someone who is better for the team in that position then in all likelihood Jake plays another position.
Either way its a nice problem to have, good players competing for positions....big change from recent years!