News Matt Burton wants out

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Penrith want Napa for Burton, I’d be booking an Uber for both of them today. Ones a potential star the other a hapless water buffalo that should never have been signed or seen in the blue and white. With Napa in the side we’ll struggle to once again to make the top 8. If they do the swap we’re a big chance of making the 8 at least.
Nah. This conversation has been done to death but we don't have the depth in the front row to ship him out. We don't have the money in the salary cap to be able to pay for his $$ at Penrith either. It's a non-starter I'm sorry.
We mightn’t have much front row depth, But we don’t have a 5/8 and if Flanagan was to get injured we have no halves !
Napa won’t be in the side, He wouldn’t be in the team this week If Thompson wasn’t suspended. We’d lose nothing losing Napa But we could improve significantly with Burton.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok I am adamant we are not getting Burton let's put that to bed but we have one spot to fill and what, we have $600-700k salary cap space.

Who do we sign or do we move Dietz into the mix? Can we pull off a massive play for Cameron Smith for one year?
Never say never. But it's not uncommon for a few teams to try trading out someone mid season that's got talent but is taking up a bit more cap space than their club can handle. DWZ was a good signing for us when he arrived. So if another good player pops onto the market and we do have $600-$700 thousand cap space it leaves us in a good position to pounce. If not promote a junior when needed and look to front load a few players on big money deals to put us in a better position for 22 onwards.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Avo can easily be the #14 Ex factor position for the next 2 years. Thing is he has to live up to all this hype TK has thrown onto him first.
He's definitely got talent. But also has some weaknesses at this stage. Hopefully things he can weed out of his game, but the hype about him is still very much off the charts. It's not the first time people here have overdone it with the hype. Morgan, Wakeham and Lewis all suffered from initial hype and then some resulting criticism when they didn't meet the expectation placed on them by fans hoping that they'd be saviours for the team.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah. This conversation has been done to death but we don't have the depth in the front row to ship him out. We don't have the money in the salary cap to be able to pay for his $$ at Penrith either. It's a non-starter I'm sorry.
If Luke Thompson wasn’t suspended which he shouldn’t be, that was a joke as if he was playing for the roosters he wouldn’t be suspended, he’d be starting in the side. Napa is past his best, slow, hogs the ball and has carry over points that could see him suspended with another indiscretion. His tackling technic is a huge concern and with him still in the team we no hope of making the 8.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I do actually.

What happened to dedication? Commitment? Loyalty? You boys are gorging in your vices but what I'd like to see is a steadfast agreement to just do hard drugs for the next week.

Who wants to take up the challenge?
Nasheed here,
I’m back, because I want to do this challenge so much.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I know this will piss people off. That I'll be called a leftie. Tree hugger. PC police etc etc but ...

Find some of the comments directed at dave holland out of line. Just too far imo.

Taking about him being on crack. Him being on ice. I take offence.

As an avid user of drugs I feel I need to draw the line and stand up for them. Drugs need a voice and I feel they're being victimized here.

There's always a negative connotation when you mention crack, or ice and even coke. And I've had enough.

So ... Please refrain from using drugs as a negative tool because they've got feelings too. #drugsaregood
Amen!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Also,
why cant we just negotiate to pay hetherington the full contract amount penrith are pitchin in, so they can have some funds to find their own prop.

They should target packer

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PANTHERS STAR PUSHING FOR EARLY RELEASE

Panthers rising star Matt Burton is continuing to agitate for an immediate release despite Penrith coach Ivan Clearly publicly proclaiming he “loves it here” as recently as this week.

Burton is currently stuck behind Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai and Tyrone May in the Panthers halves pecking order and has been named to play five-eighth in round one of the Canterbury Cup this weekend.

At the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs – where Burton has signed a three-year contract from 2022 – he’ll most likely walk straight into the NRL side to partner Kyle Flanagan in the halves.

Where Panthers coach Cleary could run into a jam in the Burton situation centres around this question – would Ivan have the same approach if it was his son Nathan in this situation.

Would he block his own son’s path to the NRL if it was Nathan in Burton’s shoes?

There is no question Burton, 21, is ready to be a full-time NRL player and at the Panthers the pathway is blocked.

The Panthers play the Bulldogs in round two of the NRL.

After round one, clubs are allowed to release players from their top 30 without having to replace them.

Common sense says Burton should be at the Bulldogs within the next month.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
PANTHERS STAR PUSHING FOR EARLY RELEASE

Panthers rising star Matt Burton is continuing to agitate for an immediate release despite Penrith coach Ivan Clearly publicly proclaiming he “loves it here” as recently as this week.

Burton is currently stuck behind Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai and Tyrone May in the Panthers halves pecking order and has been named to play five-eighth in round one of the Canterbury Cup this weekend.

At the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs – where Burton has signed a three-year contract from 2022 – he’ll most likely walk straight into the NRL side to partner Kyle Flanagan in the halves.

Where Panthers coach Cleary could run into a jam in the Burton situation centres around this question – would Ivan have the same approach if it was his son Nathan in this situation.

Would he block his own son’s path to the NRL if it was Nathan in Burton’s shoes?

There is no question Burton, 21, is ready to be a full-time NRL player and at the Panthers the pathway is blocked.

The Panthers play the Bulldogs in round two of the NRL.

After round one, clubs are allowed to release players from their top 30 without having to replace them.

Common sense says Burton should be at the Bulldogs within the next month.
Any quotes from Burton in the article?

Ivan was going to make Nathan wait longer for his debut although he was ready so the emotional appeal might not work. Ivan also doesn't have the power to decide it is done by committee.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ivan was going to make Nathan wait longer for his debut although he was ready so the emotional appeal might not work. Ivan also doesn't have the power to decide it is done by committee.
Thats it. But first time i've seen them say Burton is agitating. Could just mean the camp.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m waiting for someone to say Burton will definitely be at Bankwest stadium next Saturday haha

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The Panthers are making the best decision for them. They have the best back up half in the nrl who might play a handfull of games unless there is an injury. Let's not pretend that Ivan has the best interests of Burton at heart. He would not do this to his son. He wanted to hold Nathan back to support him. The decision to keep Burton is not to support his career, it is a coaching decision and makes the panthers stronger. Good luck to them.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Guess they didn't didn't listen to your wife either on this occassion? :grinning:

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Guess they didn't didn't listen to your wife either on this occassion? :grinning:
To be fair neither do I.

The Panthers are making the best decision for them. They have the best back up half in the nrl who might play a handfull of games unless there is an injury. Let's not pretend that Ivan has the best interests of Burton at heart. He would not do this to his son. He wanted to hold Nathan back to support him. The decision to keep Burton is not to support his career, it is a coaching decision and makes the panthers stronger. Good luck to them.
Exactly. If there's a reason whatever that may be the emotional appeal won't work. As I said though it's not up to Ivan. He's one vote on a committee.