News Matt Burton wants out

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Guess they didn't didn't listen to your wife either on this occassion? :grinning:
To be fair neither do I.

The Panthers are making the best decision for them. They have the best back up half in the nrl who might play a handfull of games unless there is an injury. Let's not pretend that Ivan has the best interests of Burton at heart. He would not do this to his son. He wanted to hold Nathan back to support him. The decision to keep Burton is not to support his career, it is a coaching decision and makes the panthers stronger. Good luck to them.
Exactly. If there's a reason whatever that may be the emotional appeal won't work. As I said though it's not up to Ivan. He's one vote on a committee.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. If there's a reason whatever that may be the emotional appeal won't work. As I said though it's not up to Ivan. He's one vote on a committee.
If Ivan said to "the committee" something like "realistically I'm not going to pick Burton in first grade, maybe 1 game during SOO, and we need a prop. If we release Burton we can afford XXXXX". Would "the committee" seriously say no? To the head coach? Somehow I don't think so, mostly because it's a good decision with short and long term benefits that easily out way the costs. Secondly what the coach asks for normally happens.

Go Dogs

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Ivan said to "the committee" something like "realistically I'm not going to pick Burton in first grade, maybe 1 game during SOO, and we need a prop. If we release Burton we can afford XXXXX". Would "the committee" seriously say no? To the head coach? Somehow I don't think so, mostly because it's a good decision with short and long term benefits that easily out way the costs. Secondly what the coach asks for normally happens.

Go Dogs
He can't really make that argument since he'd be on very little. Burton is on his first top 30 contract so wouldn't free up enough cap for a prop I'd assume.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this bloke have bona fides or is he just a fan on Twitter? Never heard of him.
He is a journalist for some Penrith area newspaper. Bloke said Burton was staying at Penrith (before he signed with us) so his mail seems to come from the same guy David Holland uses so I wouldn't read too much into it

Last edited:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair neither do I.

Sorry bro, I think that is an extremely naive take. If Ivan wanted to release him he would advise the committee and it would happen. End of the day he is under contract and Panthers are stronger with him in the just in case box. Awesome for the panthers but not so for Burton from a development or financial perspective. If he was playing regularly it would be different.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry bro, I think that is an extremely naive take. If Ivan wanted to release him he would advise the committee and it would happen. End of the day he is under contract and Panthers are stronger with him in the just in case box. Awesome for the panthers but not so for Burton from a development or financial perspective. If he was playing regularly it would be different.
Considering the history with Gus going mad with power(reason for the committee now, still paying RCG and Blake) I'd say it's not naive since one person having ultimate say is entirely what they're trying to avoid.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
PANTHERS STAR PUSHING FOR EARLY RELEASE

Panthers rising star Matt Burton is continuing to agitate for an immediate release despite Penrith coach Ivan Clearly publicly proclaiming he “loves it here” as recently as this week.

Burton is currently stuck behind Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai and Tyrone May in the Panthers halves pecking order and has been named to play five-eighth in round one of the Canterbury Cup this weekend.

At the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs – where Burton has signed a three-year contract from 2022 – he’ll most likely walk straight into the NRL side to partner Kyle Flanagan in the halves.

Where Panthers coach Cleary could run into a jam in the Burton situation centres around this question – would Ivan have the same approach if it was his son Nathan in this situation.

Would he block his own son’s path to the NRL if it was Nathan in Burton’s shoes?

There is no question Burton, 21, is ready to be a full-time NRL player and at the Panthers the pathway is blocked.

The Panthers play the Bulldogs in round two of the NRL.

After round one, clubs are allowed to release players from their top 30 without having to replace them.

Common sense says Burton should be at the Bulldogs within the next month.
To be a journalist these days just copy and paste

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He can't really make that argument since he'd be on very little. Burton is on his first top 30 contract so wouldn't free up enough cap for a prop I'd assume.
"Afford" = number (in the 30), not necessarily dollars.
If they have say $150k available, which IS NOT enough for a "decent" prop, then add $150k for Burton makes $300k which IS enough for a decent prop. Note that a "decent prop" isn't a guaranteed starter, game breaker, prop, just a decent back up prop.

Go Dogs

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is a journalist for some Penrith area newspaper. Bloke said Burton was staying at Penrith (before he signed with us) so his mail seems to come from the same guy David Holland uses so I wouldn't read too much into it
Actually Twitted Peter the Bulldogs have been trying to get Burton and 1 offer was Dean Britt for him, hardly earth shattering

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Considering the history with Gus going mad with power(reason for the committee now, still paying RCG and Blake) I'd say it's not naive since one person having ultimate say is entirely what they're trying to avoid.
Totally different circumstances. Ivan can without a doubt advocate for a release and it will not cost the panthers a cent. Panthers and Ivan are making a decision which potentially benefits the club (injury and SOO coverage). To pretend there is no emotional and developmental impact on Burton is rubbish. Penrith are well within their rights to enforce the contract and good luck to them. But you cant play both sides and pretend that you care about Burton.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People should be excited to see what averillo can do tonight not worry about another guy.