Living in Aussie Land

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Assassin is right mate, i'm ex sydney have been in Perth 20 years, it is not perfect by any stretch and there can be a "wait awhile" mentality(bit slow or behind the times is the eastern states peoples opinions i think) i.e the dills are GAYFL obsessed doubt they will ever warm to an NRL team this does shit me.
Overall though here are some pro's :
As stated property prices and or rents(dont tell BB i mentioned renting)are much cheaper.
Not sure of your profession but i didnt think there are big wages disparities personally, some industries aren't nearly as big i suppose and that was evident when i moved over into a specific field but generally shouldn't be an issue really.
I also don't delve heavily into it but is mining in decline or going to die out soonish? i wouldn't have thought so...not a big issue i wouldn't think.
The West Australian coastline is pretty great, weather overall is pretty good gets pretty warm in summer but has a proper and good length autumn/winter and even half of spring is usually quite mild.Doesn't rain that much which i kinda miss.

Actually can't think of any real cons oh wait on one is the fn freeways while improving in recent years they can be a shemozzle(and this smacks of the lack or forward planning way back when, as they religiously built only 2 lane freeways wtf you dimwits)
Of course you wont get much live NRL here but assuming you will make time for trips east to visit friends/family etc you can get your fix of games then i guess.

I'm sure your family here(where are they if you dont mind me asking what area?)will have shared the pros and any cons of life in metro WA.

Finally i dont know when your planning on coming back? but yes do check on the entry requirements for here, Commandant Mark is pretty staunch though i have no complaints with what he has done re keeping ***** out to date :laughing:
Freeways in Perth are awsome!! there a few years back for a few months laughed my arse off when a perth dude was complaining about an apparent peak hr traffic jam

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Freeways in Perth are awsome!! there a few years back for a few months laughed my arse off when a perth dude was complaining about an apparent peak hr traffic jam
Ahh ok it's been a fair while so are they shit in Sydney these days? all the M1's 4's 5's(around the year 2000 i used to work in Kingsgrove and live in Hoxton Park so the M5 coming home from afternoon shift work in a clubbie was err fun no traffic or cops!)and whatfnever they have in place these days?
I should clarify a bit what i meant, the dozies here 1.do NOT know how to merge "we have an accelerator for a reason numpty" and 2.VERY bad at in fact they mostly just don't keep left at all.Coming from the hectic Sydney ways it wasn't an easy adjustment..a heavy foot doesn;t help either.This i found a problem when everything was just two farken lanes maybe i had/have a problem on reflection lol

Only in the last half dozen years did they start making the Kwinana freeway 3 lanes, now they are finally learning bigger is better with new road projects and it may indeed be significantly better now, as i havent worked in Perth for 10 years LOL

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
@Tassie Devil you should definitely think carefully about your wife and daughters welfare before bringing them here.

I’ll describe what I’ve heard women go through. They can’t walk down the street at night alone. If they do, they are in constant fear that there’s a 100% chance that they could be attacked. This is how every single woman in Australia feels. They have to meticulously plan each day around ensuring that they do not find themselves in vulnerable situations. Scary stuff.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
@Tassie Devil you should definitely think carefully about your wife and daughters welfare before bringing them here.

I’ll describe what I’ve heard women go through. They can’t walk down the street at night alone. If they do, they are in constant fear that there’s a 100% chance that they could be attacked. This is how every single woman in Australia feels. They have to meticulously plan each day around ensuring that they do not find themselves in vulnerable situations. Scary stuff.
I actually remember a wise old woman telling me once there was a Skaf gang on every corner up there

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Eh?

See, this is what I'm talking about. Is it really that dangerous for women? Do they really need to be so careful?

It's so safe over here. Women walk anywhere at anytime in all honesty. Never have to think of such things.

But, sounds like Australia is pretty dangerous for women, right?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I actually remember a wise old woman telling me once there was a Skaf gang on every corner up there
The Skaf gang is those brothers from Bankstown, right? Sorry, haven't been in Sydney for so long.

Where's there?

Being honest, what happened with those brothers does freak me out and make me worried for my daughter.

So, thats white common?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just put this out there. Live in Sydney, been in this suburb for ~10 years. Basically lock my front door when I remember to. Not even sure how to lock the back door. Have my wrx sitting in the driveway at the moment unlocked. Kids everywhere, river for me is 200m away, beach a 10 min drive. Parks and greenery everywhere. Local public HS is pretty well regarded. Only drawback is train station is probably an hour walk away so would have to bus. 20 mins into the city quiet time, 40 - 60 mins driving peak hour. Lots of poms around here - they all love the lifestyle. However, real estate here was pretty cheap but based on the last 12 months - appears the rest of Sydney have discovered us. Not getting much decent here atm for <$2M (probably $1.2M a year ago).

S'pose this is where Sydney vs Perth gets weird. U sort of have to be more suburb specific or descriptive of what you're looking for in a suburb (incl if its Sydney $$$$).
Yeah. Can understand that. My family lives in North Epping, a nice little pocket in Sydney. Pretty secluded with the bush nearby. But, I wouldn't want to live in Epping the adjoining suburb.

Tbh, always wanted to give on the beach but imagine that'd be way too expensive in Sydney

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Assassin is right mate, i'm ex sydney have been in Perth 20 years, it is not perfect by any stretch and there can be a "wait awhile" mentality(bit slow or behind the times is the eastern states peoples opinions i think) i.e the dills are GAYFL obsessed doubt they will ever warm to an NRL team this does shit me.
Overall though here are some pro's :
As stated property prices and or rents(dont tell BB i mentioned renting)are much cheaper.
Not sure of your profession but i didnt think there are big wages disparities personally, some industries aren't nearly as big i suppose and that was evident when i moved over into a specific field but generally shouldn't be an issue really.
I also don't delve heavily into it but is mining in decline or going to die out soonish? i wouldn't have thought so...not a big issue i wouldn't think.
The West Australian coastline is pretty great, weather overall is pretty good gets pretty warm in summer but has a proper and good length autumn/winter and even half of spring is usually quite mild.Doesn't rain that much which i kinda miss.

Actually can't think of any real cons oh wait on one is the fn freeways while improving in recent years they can be a shemozzle(and this smacks of the lack or forward planning way back when, as they religiously built only 2 lane freeways wtf you dimwits)
Of course you wont get much live NRL here but assuming you will make time for trips east to visit friends/family etc you can get your fix of games then i guess.

I'm sure your family here(where are they if you dont mind me asking what area?)will have shared the pros and any cons of life in metro WA.

Finally i dont know when your planning on coming back? but yes do check on the entry requirements for here, Commandant Mark is pretty staunch though i have no complaints with what he has done re keeping ***** out to date :laughing:
Thanks mate. Really liked this post. Will defo hit you up when things get more serious. At this stage it's just thoughts, but would love to move.

Perth is my preference. It's got what I'm looking for I think and seems much safer than Sydney from all reports.

My sister ... Shit. I can't remember the name of the suburb. Is pretty close for he airport from memory. Quite nice. Close to the water

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Rightio gals and guys,

As many of you may know, I'm currently situated in Europe but thinking of moving back to Aus in the future.

But, I haven't lived there for many a year. Over 16 years to be exact. So, I don't really know Australia much anymore.

What do you guys think? Australia a decent enough place to bring up kids?

To paint a bit of background. I grew up in Sydney where my dad and bro still live. and my sis lives in Perth.

So the options are either Sydney or Perth.

I'm heavily leaning towards Perth mainly because I'm not a big city person and I think Perth is better set up for kids.

What do you all think? Is Sydney good for families? Safe?

Is this an ok thread to post Mods? Let me know if it isn't but just thought I'd ask
I'm not sure if it's already been answered but which country are you currently living in?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah. Can understand that. My family lives in North Epping, a nice little pocket in Sydney. Pretty secluded with the bush nearby. But, I wouldn't want to live in Epping the adjoining suburb.

Tbh, always wanted to give on the beach but imagine that'd be way too expensive in Sydney
Not sure what Perth is like (only been there for work) but these days in Sydney, the 1st q is whats your budget. If its $1M, you'd need to be very, very lucky or love travelling as you will not be in Sydney metro itself. $1.5M, can find something fairly good (i.e. suburb and house) but its still selective where you can go. $2M gives you a lot more flexibility.

Under $1M, my best suggestion would be the Blue Mountains. Otherwise, even up/down the coast is getting harder at that price point.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Eh?

See, this is what I'm talking about. Is it really that dangerous for women? Do they really need to be so careful?

It's so safe over here. Women walk anywhere at anytime in all honesty. Never have to think of such things.

But, sounds like Australia is pretty dangerous for women, right?
WTF? Dude, my suburb is sportwear central. And no grief. My neighbour has 3 teenage girls - they're out and about every night. Cannot talk for elsewhere but here - respectful.

TBH, in my 50 years of living in Sydney (from houso to waterfront), I'm privy to one instance personally of bad behaviour. Respect of women issues in Sydney? No better or worse than half the world atm.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WTF? Dude, my suburb is sportwear central. And no grief. My neighbour has 3 teenage girls - they're out and about every night. Cannot talk for elsewhere but here - respectful.

TBH, in my 50 years of living in Sydney (from houso to waterfront), I'm privy to one instance personally of bad behaviour. Respect of women issues in Sydney? No better or worse than half the world atm.
Nice mate. That's good to hear!

Just remember seeing some guy( I think?) continually talking about how dangerous it is for women in Australia and now a few other posters have said the same thing.

Appreciate your honesty!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice mate. That's good to hear!

Just remember seeing some guy( I think?) continually talking about how dangerous it is for women in Australia and now a few other posters have said the same thing.

Appreciate your honesty!
I got the impresssion Horse was writing tongue in cheek could be wrong though...i'm not there but don't think Sydney is super dangerous but don't take my word for it.As for the Skaf's they wouldn't be breathing if i had of been a copper in Sydney back in the day...

Just on the property prices you could likely buy two properties for 2 mill in QUALITY suburbs over here and have money left over for a jeep and a boat ffs, have to be rich to get in the game in Sydney clearly(i'd only do central to north coast anyway but guess these places are expensive as hell too)therefore it's improbable i will ever be back :laughing:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Rightio gals and guys,

As many of you may know, I'm currently situated in Europe but thinking of moving back to Aus in the future.

But, I haven't lived there for many a year. Over 16 years to be exact. So, I don't really know Australia much anymore.

What do you guys think? Australia a decent enough place to bring up kids?

To paint a bit of background. I grew up in Sydney where my dad and bro still live. and my sis lives in Perth.

So the options are either Sydney or Perth.

I'm heavily leaning towards Perth mainly because I'm not a big city person and I think Perth is better set up for kids.

What do you all think? Is Sydney good for families? Safe?

Is this an ok thread to post Mods? Let me know if it isn't but just thought I'd ask
You see it's a bit of a tough one as travel to and from visiting your family comes to it. If you want to be closer to your dad and brother, you can live in areas such as Central Coast and Wollongong which don't have that big city feel and are only 60-90 mins away from Sydney. I don't know much about Perth so I can't comment on that city, but living around Sydney can definitely accommodate for not living in the Greater Sydney area, but living close enough to it.