Joey Johns halves coaching role at the dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me most is the number of good players who came and had a look at the best training facilities in the league. They had a look at the coaching staff and went elsewhere.
Foran, Nightingale, Thurston, K.Beale, etc. Why didnt they stay? Pretty obvious to me.
All those guys are backs, remember we only need forwards and we only pay big money to them.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we didnt have too much creativity in 2008 with him

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd take BK as a coach.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
"EIGHTH Immortal Andrew Johns’s services are no longer required under new Sea Eagles coach Trent Barrett’s regime in 2016 as the clean-out at Manly continues.

Johns has acted as an assistant and halves consultant with the Sea Eagles formally since 2012, after previously working with star playmakers Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans in a part-time role.
But both Manly and Johns confirmed on Friday that his association with the club will not continue when Barrett’s new reign at Manly officially kicks off on November 2."
The champion half’s departure from the Sea Eagles continues the upheaval in the club’s coaching ranks, with Johns joining sacked head coach Geoff Toovey in being shown the door while assistants David Penna and Steve Georgallis are also expected to leave.

Timing could not be any better! Does anyone know if the Bulldogs will show some interest to give Joey Johns a halves coaching role within the club? Don't think there's anything more that our halves need leading into the 2016 season after a massive lack of creativity in our halves this season.
Nah. I'm sure Des is more than happy with our halves and our attack. Orford or whoever the **** is coaching our halves is doing great work. We'd be better off getting a new "forward hit up on the first 4 tackles" coach, complemented by a new "get tackled or throw it over the sideline on the 5th" coach.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
joey was halves coach at our club amongst other clubs and was offered assistant coach at manly but he was not allowed to consult at other clubs.

Joey was not given the flick at our club.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matt Johns is probably a better coach than Andrew. He was the halves coach at the storm and was highly rated.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd seriously get Toovey working with Hasler again
I'm with us,
I don't care what anyone says, haters are going to hate and all that, but I rate Toovey,
He is a waste of talent,
Time to re connect him with Des

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On radio they were stating joey has signed with the roosters. I would prefer Mathew really

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like toovs it's not bad of an idea
You know what, he was at Allianz the other week to watch the U20 boys for Manly go around, probably did not have to but was there anyway. Looked like the weight of the world was off his shoulders.

If he did come would only be as water boy just like when Des was at Manly, would not be allowed to have any input. Lol.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Toovey will probably be the Australian coach next year as sheens isnt likely to retain the job

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
surely the club see that we need a halves coach, and see the need to find one fast, we cannot keep going with halves who cannot put players into a hole, cannot kick, direct play, and get repeat sets

our halves pairing lack everything and need to improve massively to have us competitive next season

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
LOL Druggy Johns, not interested...... he got released from the Dogs some time ago as I understand it.... thank God.
Didn't do too good at manly this year either.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would anyone have thought of asking Shifty Sherwin to help out, at least with the basic kicking game? Surely anything to give our halves something positive to work with.

When Sherwin was with us many years ago he had a fantastic partnership with Hazem and the coach at the time was open to having him put up and through those kicks to him. They sometimes did not work but more often than not they did and gifted us some excellent tries. Was that his own natural ability and the fact he was allowed to do so or was he 'coached' to play that way.?

Flash forward to today and this coach seems to not be open to the novel suggestion of putting up the kicks specifically for the winger ( or for any other player for that matter). Would a specific halves coach benefit us when our game plan never seems to take into consideration any tactics other than the five hit ups and a poor kick at the end or the one we all seem to delight in; hold possession at all costs, complete perfectly and then hand it over to the opposition in a good attacking position.

The best footy we have played this year was when the guys were "let off the leash", quick rolling play the balls, some forwards running good angles and releasing the ball to the backs in support. Frankie was a good example of that this year. I think our Canberra game was the most attractive footy we played, a good game by Moses but then nothing for the rest of the year.

To be fair we scored 97 tries, third I think in tries scored by teams this year and had the eighth worst against with 85 (nearly thirty more than the best side Roosters and twenty eight less than the Titans who were the worst)

Those stats were a lot better compared to at least half the other sides in the comp. Wonder what we could have done with a more experienced and competent set of halves guiding us around the field?

I love my boys and my team but it is so frustrating watching us when we just seem to muddle about, dare I say it like some; like plodders; with no direction and no 21st century game plan. Hope I get to eat my words next year, hope our halves really step up; would love nothing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.