Joey Johns halves coaching role at the dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh when you class our kickers I would say Mbye is a 50% kicker and the same goes for Reynolds. So all up combined they are 1 fte.

Most teams have 3-4 kickers these days.

We barely have 1.

I remember a game last year I think hokko went down. And Mbye was the only player that could kick. And we couldn't get the kick away. We lack options (probably due to stacking the starting pack with front rowers) we lack a skilful lock/fullback that can do some kicking to take the pressure off the halves. And what we really lack is a kicking game from lichaa.

Right now we only have Reynolds or Mbye to do the kicking. So the markers can just run to them on the last.

I still think all we need is a good kick/pass/run halfback. We put Mbye at 1 (extra kicking option and we will finally have a ball playing fullback). And we keep Reynolds at 6. If we can develop a kicking game into lichaa then we have a very strong spine with kicking options all through it. We won't be raiders good when it comes to kicking but we will definitely be miles ahead of where we are now.
Des won't let lichaa kick. No hooker under des will have a kicking license.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des won't let lichaa kick. No hooker under des will have a kicking license.
Des won't let Lichaa kick because he can't.. I've seen Lichaa attempt a kick and it was absolute rubbish. The guy unfortunately does not have the basic skills of a modern day hooker.. But who else do we have to choose from? Garvey and Lichaa look seriously lost at hooker... Problem is, and to your point, even if we did have a hooker with that skill-set, would Des allow the hooker to be the third-dimension like all hookers should be in Rugby League in 2016?

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Des won't let Lichaa kick because he can't.. I've seen Lichaa attempt a kick and it was absolute rubbish. The guy unfortunately does not have the basic skills of a modern day hooker.. But who else do we have to choose from? Garvey and Lichaa look seriously lost at hooker... Problem is, and to your point, even if we did have a hooker with that skill-set, would Des allow the hooker to be the third-dimension like all hookers should be in Rugby League in 2016?
Yeah can't believe we got rid of Ennis, and his perfect backup in Cook, for Lichaa Garvey combo

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does not have the skillset for a modern hooker? you do know Des plucked him from the Sharks' reserve grade because he thought he was going to be the next Robbie Farrah? google it, Des thought the kid was going to be NSW hooker one day.

He cant kick because he does not train that. They should develop him properly, and not make him into some tackling machine. Look at Mat Ballin... look where he has gone following Des' hooker archetype.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He does not have the skillset for a modern hooker? you do know Des plucked him from the Sharks' reserve grade because he thought he was going to be the next Robbie Farrah? google it, Des thought the kid was going to be NSW hooker one day.

He cant kick because he does not train that. They should develop him properly, and not make him into some tackling machine. Look at Mat Ballin... look where he has gone following Des' hooker archetype.
To be honest, it doesn't really matter what Des thought he would be, it matters what he is right here and now, and unfortunately, from what I have seen, he does not posses those natural basic skills. A natural hooker can pass off the ground in a swift motion both left and right with good speed behind the pass and in good timing of where his forwards and/or halves are going to receive the ball. This and tackling are the two basic skills of a hooker..Lichaa possesses one of those two skills. Add to that most hookers run from dummy half and take on the line in doing so.. When Lichaa runs from dummy half, he stops and stutters a meter from the line before submitting to the defence. Most hookers also know how to read the defensive line and spot tiring players or markers not being straight, I'm not sure I've seen Lichaa demonstrate that ability... These are some of the many things being a hooker also requires. The modern day hooker has also added to the inventory a short and long kicking game.. I get that Des does not coach that and it's not Lichaa's fault, however, that part of the game isn't natural to him from the limited times he has kicked.

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You mean Damien Cook who has been dropped from both Souths NRL AND Bears NSW Cup sides and is not injured?
What's going on with him?

Looked at the Souths website to check on info and you are right. Not injured; but found a player who does have an interesting injury...What the heck is a Burgess injury? Does it have something to do with handling?

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/team/injury-report.html

Player Injury Expected to be fit by…
John Sutton Pectoral Round 18
Zane Musgrove Hand TBA
Hymel Hunt Pectoral TBA
Angus Crichton Groin TBA
Aaron Gray Leg TBA
Michael Oldfield Hamstring TBA
George Burgess Round 20

Last edited:

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's going on with him?

Looked at the Souths website to check on info and you are right. Not injured; but found a player who does have an interesting injury...What the heck is a Burgess injury? Does it have something to do with handling?

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/team/injury-report.html

Player Injury Expected to be fit by…
John Sutton Pectoral Round 18
Zane Musgrove Hand TBA
Hymel Hunt Pectoral TBA
Angus Crichton Groin TBA
Aaron Gray Leg TBA
Michael Oldfield Hamstring TBA
George Burgess Round 20
He wants out of there big time and is trying everything to break away...

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, it doesn't really matter what Des thought he would be, it matters what he is right here and now, and unfortunately, from what I have seen, he does not posses those natural basic skills. A natural hooker can pass off the ground in a swift motion both left and right with good speed behind the pass and in good timing of where his forwards and/or halves are going to receive the ball. This and tackling are the two basic skills of a hooker..Lichaa possesses one of those two skills. Add to that most hookers run from dummy half and take on the line in doing so.. When Lichaa runs from dummy half, he stops and stutters a meter from the line before submitting to the defence. Most hookers also know how to read the defensive line and spot tiring players or markers not being straight, I'm not sure I've seen Lichaa demonstrate that ability... These are some of the many things being a hooker also requires. The modern day hooker has also added to the inventory a short and long kicking game.. I get that Des does not coach that and it's not Lichaa's fault, however, that part of the game isn't natural to him from the limited times he has kicked.
Absolutely spot on mate.
Basic skills - must haves.

A hooker who STANDS up every time he passes the ball (Lichaa) = too slow.
Lichaa plays like a robot - no spark, no scurry, no threat.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lichaa takes off from dummy half, runs 3-4 meters and starts stumbling and falling over. He has done this so many times that its beyond a joke.
The kid has too much weight and no balance. His passing from dummy half is slow and by the time he throws the ball (cause he has to stand up to do it and most of the time he doesn't know which way to go), the opposition defenders are in our face after making 3 mtrs....wtf Des saw in this kid is beyond me, but then again Des is also the same bloke who let Pritchard go and kept Dorothy.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally on it XR6T.
Lichee does actually look like a bit of a fatty who's out of balance. Lol
His slow delivery is predictable (telegraphed) and cruelling our momentum.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cook as I understand it wanted out of the Bunnies and return to the Dogs but, Mag knocked him back! nothing worse that having to stay where one does not want to be.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Cook as I understand it wanted out of the Bunnies and return to the Dogs but, Mag knocked him back! nothing worse that having to stay where one does not want to be.
WHen was this ?

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did that also happen with Adam Reynolds?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, back on topic - Andrew Johns as a Dogs halves coach?

Reckon he could show the boys a few nice lines.
You can bet on it.
Lol.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Johns was here before and he was a disaster, like he has been at the other clubs he was at.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WHen was this ?
TBH, I cannot recall where I read this, it was about 5 weeks ago on a link sent to me by my Nephew in Sydney, then I heard something said during a televised game with Souths involved a week later, maybe where there is smoke there is fire who knows?
Back to Junky Johns............... Dogs got rid of him I think just before Des started with us, then the NSW SOO coaching staff got rid of him, pretty sure there was another NRL club got rid of him but I can't be sure and lastly Manly have recently terminated his services also.
He does not strike me as a person that is easily liked, (I can't stand the prick) he came close just before the GF 2015 getting fired by the media after his drunken antics at Toowoomba airport towards a young married Mother, was not involved in any media during the grand final (was taken off air) and was noted he took off for the USA on a Holliday, comes back and everyone waits till the heat is off and he is back on in the media again. I think it was Channel 9 that put him off the air at the time.
What a great example of and Immortal FFS.......as far as I am concerned they made a huge mistake putting the 8th immortal after his name at his still relatively young age at the time..... + being a drug user did not help his cause IMO
NO, we do not need this person at our club!!

Status
Not open for further replies.