Official Dogs snare Kikau in major signing coup

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand why we have signed Kikau... we have lacked impact in the forwards for years but I just think Kikau is a gamble in itself but also when we have committed to TPJ as well
As long as his reputation doesn't fall to shit...he's worth it just for the decoy factor. Lots of Burton's tries and assists last year were cause they would gang up on kikau when he wasn't even going to get the ball.

In saying that tho the club has runs on the board that no one sees out a 4year contract so I can see it ending in pain somewhere

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Papali'i does have a great motor to go with his quality. Probably the Tigers best pickup in years. I would've been happy with him over Kikau too.
That may be true Papali’i could have been a cheaper option but you all are forgetting the timing of the signings. At the time it was our priority to secure a spine player first which we achieved by nabbing Mahoney. Without signing him getting more forwards probably would have been pointless. The Tigers already have their spine players locked into long term contracts so going hard for Papali’i was a no brainer. I just don’t think we ever had a chance to throw our hat in the the ring

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well..if you can't throw stones at current players let's have a dig at a guy who is 9 months away from even training with us and a year and change from debuting :laughing:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly this. With Kikau, the positives far outweigh the negatives. We haven’t had a damaging second rower that could trample defenders or break the line since Pritchard. I guess people would rather Waddell and Stimson lining up in the second row
Exactly. But if theres a chance to put the boot in, and sound like an expert, then why not?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well..if you can't throw stones at current players let's have a dig at a guy who is 9 months away from even training with us and a year and change from debuting :laughing:
Saying that he had a bad game and hopefully he bounces back once the season starts isn't having a dig. Are we supposed to only talk about his good games and ignore his flaws like his poor defence and how that could be a problem in our team?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly. But if theres a chance to put the boot in, and sound like an expert, then why not?
You hammer countless players on here. Get off your high horse. All I did is point out he had 9 missed tackles, he looked underdone and hopefully he improves once the real games start. That's hardly hammering him or sticking the boot in.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You hammer countless players on here. Get off your high horse. All I did is point out he had 9 missed tackles, he looked underdone and hopefully he improves once the real games start. That's hardly hammering him or sticking the boot in.
Ur not wrong, i swear he just doesn’t involve himself in the game a bit like fifita but as himself he needs to do that but when he does touch the ball its often a 10m run with 5 post contact and that ability to offload. Kikau and tpj gotta touch the ball as much as possible. Mahoney will fix this issue though definitely.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ur not wrong, i swear he just doesn’t involve himself in the game a bit like fifita but as himself he needs to do that but when he does touch the ball its often a 10m run with 5 post contact and that ability to offload. Kikau and tpj gotta touch the ball as much as possible. Mahoney will fix this issue though definitely.
I just can't stand how if you question one thing about a player, you're considered a turncoat fan.. You can't discuss a players pros and cons or have a constructive discussion on a footy forum without people getting emotional and defensive and taking things out of context because they don't agree with the sentiment.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I just can't stand how if you question one thing about a player, you're considered a turncoat fan by the holier than thou crowd. You can't discuss a players pros and cons or have a constructive discussion on a footy forum without people getting emotional and defensive and taking things out of context because they don't agree with the sentiment.
Ik i agree 100% it would be annoying and i see it every second message.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney to Burton, short ball to Kikau, or out the back to Dufty to shift to Naden, JAC in the corner. That’s a fucking lethal left side. Having Kikau will give a presence on that left edge. Slide off him and get him one on one. Jam in on him and play out the back giving the backline more room.

A positive is also shifting TPJ into the middle where he belongs.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Saying that he had a bad game and hopefully he bounces back once the season starts isn't having a dig. Are we supposed to only talk about his good games and ignore his flaws like his poor defence and how that could be a problem in our team?
My bad I didn't thoroughly read your post tbh,
I just think it ain't worth the worry especially this far out, plus wasn't his last proper match a ball tearing performance In the GF??
Hot and cold guy same as Fifita but every bit as good as him(I hope)and a bit cheaper.
I might be a bit worried about year 4 of his contract if I'm honest.

We have other more pressing current issues which may escalate again tomorrow at around 7/8pm.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My bad I didn't thoroughly read your post tbh,
I just think it ain't worth the worry especially this far out, plus wasn't his last proper match a ball tearing performance In the GF??
Hot and cold guy same as Fifita but every bit as good as him(I hope)and a bit cheaper.
I might be a bit worried about year 4 of his contract if I'm honest.

We have other more pressing current issues which may escalate again tomorrow at around 7/8pm.
I had doubts about the signing at the time due to the money, the four years and his lack of consistency. But he's a game breaker on his day and the threat of his runs and his decoys are valuable in itself to create space for others which is part of Gus' thinking. It's just whether the pros outweigh the cons of his poor defence and how ineffective he is when he has a bad game. He has as high a ceiling as most 2nd rowers. But his floor is quite low for a player of his ability. Hopefully he shows more consistency this year.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't take it personally, its not just you. but you were the one to bump the thread and point it out.
Who do I hammer on here? Countless? Right.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't take it personally, its not just you. but you were the one to bump the thread and point it out.
Who do I hammer on here? Countless? Right.
All good.. Okunbur is one I know of for sure.. Haha.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kikau has been dominant tonight breaking tackles and offloading at will and attracting three and four defenders. Manly can't handle him.

I had my concerns about his consistency and price tag but if he plays like this regularly, he'll be worth it because when he does, he's one of the most destructive forwards and unstoppable in the comp.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kikau has been dominant tonight breaking tackles and offloading at will and attracting three and four defenders. Manly can't handle him.

I had my concerns about his consistency and price tag but if he plays like this regularly, he'll be worth it because when he does, he's one of the most destructive forwards and unstoppable in the comp.
No shit , we got a good one .!!! Pitty he still plays for this asshole team.