Official Dogs snare Kikau in major signing coup

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And they lost 36-0. So was it all Kikaus fault? Or maybe the whole team was just shit last night.
People mught question his signing, but questioning his abillity, and using any way possible to demonstrate it is just fucking sad.
All bulldogs supporters should be stoked we signed him.
Read all of that post and my other posts before you overreact. If we can get excited about Mahoney and the way he's playing, then it's not unreasonable to point out the guy we just signed for 4 years 700k plus missed 9 tackles and played badly. As I've said several times, it's just a trial and let's see how he responds when the season starts.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kikau regularly throws up ordinary performances, let alone first trial of the year. He’s never been a consistent player.

He’s also a fairly regular match winner with plenty of presence which Gus must think makes him worth it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kikau regularly throws up ordinary performances, let alone first trial of the year. He’s never been a consistent player.

He’s also a fairly regular match winner with plenty of presence which Gus must think makes him worth it.
That's a reasonable argument. He's definitely a luxury/strike player that will have a few huge games a year. I'd just always rather the consistent player like Papali'i instead. Especially when we have TPJ who is hit or miss like Kikau is.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And they lost 36-0. So was it all Kikaus fault? Or maybe the whole team was just shit last night.
People mught question his signing, but questioning his abillity, and using any way possible to demonstrate it is just fucking sad.
All bulldogs supporters should be stoked we signed him.
Exactly this. With Kikau, the positives far outweigh the negatives. We haven’t had a damaging second rower that could trample defenders or break the line since Pritchard. I guess people would rather Waddell and Stimson lining up in the second row

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly this. With Kikau, the positives far outweigh the negatives. We haven’t had a damaging second rower that could trample defenders or break the line since Pritchard. I guess people would rather Waddell and Stimson lining up in the second row
Yep I was watching the cowboys and broncos last night and both of them have much better attacking backrowers than us.

Even though it was a trial I thought the cowboys looked ok. Hammer at fullback and Holmes in the centres works. Even though Townsend is overpaid he is still a decent halfback. They will be hard to beat up there in Rd 1

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a reasonable argument. He's definitely a luxury/strike player that will have a few huge games a year. I'd just always rather the consistent player like Papali'i instead. Especially when we have TPJ who is hit or miss like Kikau is.
Papali'i does have a great motor to go with his quality. Probably the Tigers best pickup in years. I would've been happy with him over Kikau too.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep I was watching the cowboys and broncos last night and both of them have much better attacking backrowers than us.

Even though it was a trial I thought the cowboys looked ok. Hammer at fullback and Holmes in the centres works. Even though Townsend is overpaid he is still a decent halfback. They will be hard to beat up there in Rd 1
The rule changes last season made strike backrowers more valuable imo, with the repeat sets and lopsided posession they could really break a game open. Will be interesting to see what sort of impact they have now with then reverting the rules somewhat.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I said Papali'i who can do all of those things. You somehow interpret that as Waddell and Stimson. There's a slight difference.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The rule changes last season made strike backrowers more valuable imo, with the repeat sets and lopsided posession they could really break a game open. Will be interesting to see what sort of impact they have now with then reverting the rules somewhat.
You make a good point. I think there will be a lot of differences this year. With the 6 again rules last year the top 6 teams feasted against a retreating defensive line that's constantly outnumbered and through dominance of possession.

Now those players have far less time on the ball as teams aren't making 80 metres a set because they don't get multiple 6 agains up the field. Strike players will still play well, but they'll have to do more to create space or break the line because the defence won't constantly be as fatigued or outnumbered.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You make a good point. I think there will be a lot of differences this year. With the 6 again rules last year the top 6 teams feasted against a retreating defensive line that's constantly outnumbered and through dominance of possession.

Now those players have far less time on the ball as teams aren't making 80 metres a set because they don't get multiple 6 agains up the field. Strike players will still play well, but they'll have to do more to create space or break the line because the defence won't constantly be as fatigued or outnumbered.
it won Penrith a comp, defenitely wont be as good this season imo.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said Papali'i who can do all of those things. You somehow interpret that as Waddell and Stimson. There's a slight difference.
Papali’i needs to back it up again this season. He’s had one good season. Do you remember a guy by the name Tony Williams?

Kikau has been in the top 5 second rowers consistently for the past 5 years. And Papali’i at 600k per year is a risk, especially when he’s yet to perform consistently. Let’s see how he goes this year before putting him beside the elite second rowers

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is 100% my concern with Kiks & TPJ. Both match winners but can be very hot & cold. Hopefully coaches are able to get them performing at a consistently high level!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Papali’i needs to back it up again this season. He’s had one good season. Do you remember a guy by the name Tony Williams?

Kikau has been in the top 5 second rowers consistently for the past 5 years. And Papali’i at 600k per year is a risk, especially when he’s yet to perform consistently. Let’s see how he goes this year before putting him beside the elite second rowers
She-Rex is what people are scared of Kikau being for us. Only here for the money.. Disinterested and inconsistent.. Kikau has always been pretty inconsistent for Penrith. He almost never plays 80 minutes. So while he's a good strike player and destructive at times, I'm still concerned at his age, cost and the length of the deal. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Papali'i was great last season. He looked even better in the trial and looks due for another big season. But you're right, he has to prove it again first. I think he'll be a good signing for the Tigers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is 100% my concern with Kiks & TPJ. Both match winners but can be very hot & cold. Hopefully coaches are able to get them performing at a consistently high level!
That's the other part of it.. Do we have the right coach to get the best out of our more enigmatic and inconsistent players? Baz has a lot to prove in that regard.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kikau no doubt on his day wins matches. I would never doubt his superstar ability.

That said, I also agree and thought at the time, as impactful as Kikau and TPJ are, they can both go missing. If they do it on the same day regularly, that’s approx 1.5 mil on the paddock doing F all. Almost don’t want to say it as you look like a complainer. I’m not, I hope they both play at their best 85% of the year. They should for that money. If they do, then LOOK OUT. That is a pretty wishful “if” though….

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not reading much into the trial on a night where they got smashed. But his defence has always been pretty shit. 9 missed tackles isn't a good start. Hopefully he bounces back once the season starts and shows that he's focused.
I agree, he needs to fix his D
I would be very concerned if he becomes non-effective in attack too, a la She-Rex :fearscream:

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kikau no doubt on his day wins matches. I would never doubt his superstar ability.

That said, I also agree and thought at the time, as impactful as Kikau and TPJ are, they can both go missing. If they do it on the same day regularly, that’s approx 1.5 mil on the paddock doing F all. Almost don’t want to say it as you look like a complainer. I’m not, I hope they both play at their best 85% of the year. They should for that money. If they do, then LOOK OUT. That is a pretty wishful “if” though….
I expect them to be as inconsistent as they have been in the past.
For them to be as destructive as they have been in the past, they need smart halves giving them the ball at the right time or using them as decoys and hitting centres who are capable of making teams pay.

So alot will depend on how good our halves and centres play next to these guys