Climate Change

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is there such negative press around nuclear energy?

I guess what i am thinking is

1. Can renewables sustains our demand for energy? Can battries hold the power we need?
2. With nuclear waste being the biggest issue. Technologies are being developed to reduce and reuse waste.

I'm not saying for a country to be 100% nuclear. But has to be included as an energy source in conjunction with wind, solar, hydo to sustain our demands.

Small Modular Reactors seem a viable solution

And for the greenies who want to say "we need to use less engery"... be realistic. Its not going to happen
It's a combination of things.

Australia is generally anti-nuclear because coal is such a huge part of our economy. They don't want to go nuclear because it would make coal redundant. But eventually the price of coal will bottom out and we'll be screwed anyway.

On the Greens side, they're anti-nuclear because of fear and because they fully support renewables over all.

The sad part is that the Greens use "trust the science" as a motto, but ignore the fact that "the science" supports nuclear energy as the best carbon neutral energy source for Australia.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Australia is generally anti-nuclear because coal is such a huge part of our economy. They don't want to go nuclear because it would make coal redundant. But eventually the price of coal will bottom out and we'll be screwed anyway.

On the Greens side, they're anti-nuclear because of fear and because they fully support renewables over all.

The sad part is that the Greens use "trust the science" as a motto, but ignore the fact that "the science" supports nuclear energy as the best carbon neutral energy source for Australia.
1. Fuck coal. Lol we'll have to get over using it internally.

2. Greens have a fair point. But should be legislated that nuclear takes majority (upto 60%) of the brunt supplemented by renewables.

So correct me if i am wrong. But the waste produced in 100 years by 1 SMR could fit into a safe container the size of an olypmic swimming pool. When that is full. You can build another container ontop of that and store the next 200 years. Not to mention the tech be researched to minimise akd reuse current waste is expanding

That SMR can literally be built on current coal reactor sites and plug straight into the grid.

SMR are far more cost effective than larger reactors.

I know alot of people hate him. But Lord Lizard master Bill Gates and others have written about this.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Fuck coal. Lol we'll have to get over using it internally.

2. Greens have a fair point. But should be legislated that nuclear takes majority (upto 60%) of the brunt supplemented by renewables.

So correct me if i am wrong. But the waste produced in 100 years by 1 SMR could fit into a safe container the size of an olypmic swimming pool. When that is full. You can build another container ontop of that and store the next 200 years. Not to mention the tech be researched to minimise akd reuse current waste is expanding

That SMR can literally be built on current coal reactor sites and plug straight into the grid.

SMR are far more cost effective than larger reactors.

I know alot of people hate him. But Lord Lizard master Bill Gates and others have written about this.
Yep. SMRs vary as there's many different designs, but most are fast reactors so they have a much lower amount of waste. And we have plenty of space to store that waste.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep. SMRs vary as there's many different designs, but most are fast reactors so they have a much lower amount of waste. And we have plenty of space to store that waste.
I don't get it.

What am i missing? Why isn't this a thang in Australia

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Nuclear only really good for base load as they are quire the effort to fire up and wind down. It's also kind of had its day cost wise. Renewables are now cheaper and more versatile.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bury it you mean? Eventual leaching into water table?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The only question I want to be answered....

Can I still keep my 6L, 518kw petrol guzzing beast on the road? If yes then I'm all for climate change, if not, fuck that and let the world burn lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only question I want to be answered....

Can I still keep my 6L, 518kw petrol guzzing beast on the road? If yes then I'm all for climate change, if not, fuck that and let the world burn lol
Sorry you have to convert to EV power! :grinning:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nuclear only really good for base load as they are quire the effort to fire up and wind down. It's also kind of had its day cost wise. Renewables are now cheaper and more versatile.
Again only going off what I have read (not alot).

But the "effort" to fire up and wind down are significantly reduced with SMRs.

I'm all for renewables. But even the experts on the climate change side agree that renewables will not feed the demand of the world (battery storage and climate conditions). There needs to be a multi-facit approach.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bury it you mean? Eventual leaching into water table?
I think in the current climate with regulation and technological advancements this can be reduced.

If the waste is not stored properly. Of course there are issues.

But with proper regulation and monitoring, its a non-issue. Rolls royce stated (when replying to what they call the leakage myth) they can store them above ground in secure sealed containers which have been tested over and over.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe nuclear is still the cheapest over the life-span and is the equal lowest CO2 emissions (along with wind), but cost of renewables is dropping each year so it won't be long until renewables are more cost effective than nuclear.

But Renewables are definitely more versatile due to being much more modular. Even with these small reactors, they still take at least 5 years to build and the upfront cost is the major problem.

The baseload part is good though. The recommendation is generally to use nuclear as the baseload and supplement with renewables. Other options include battery storage for baseload which is getting better, but battery tech is still a ways behind. They use rare earth elements usually not mined ethically, and have relatively short lifespans. There is better battery tech in development but it's still in the early stages.

Still, batteries are better than coal.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If E vehicles sound like V8s im sold.

Even if 4 cylinders sound like a V8 I'd drive one.
I remember when I was young there was this obsession with putting ugly arse mufflers on 4 cylinders to make them sound tough.

They have talked about faking the V8 noise but if it's fake, why would you bother? It's like when you stick a WRX label on an RX. You're not fooling anyone.