Climate Change

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Climate change is a major problem, but it's more of a future problem. Sure there is some immediate effects (like the increased tornado activity in Australia, increased bushfires, etc), but the main problems aren't going to happen for at least 50 years.

People don't realise what the major problems are. Sure, a rise in temperature is bad leading to heat waves that'll kill many people. Increased storm activity is bad. Ocean acidification is bad as it kills off much of the organic matter in the ocean that produces around 70% of our oxygen.

But that's not the more immediate problem. Climate change leads to reduction of resources, immigrations, and eventually war.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meanwhile Antarctica has just recorded its second coldest winter in history
Yep. That happens. This is why they started taking about "climate change" rather than just saying "global warming". It was confusing people.

Funny thing about climate change is that the global average temperature increases over time. That doesn't mean it's always going to be warming the next year. Just that on average the global temperature will be higher verses the last few cycles.

But on the flip side, shifts in earth climate cycles due to climate change can lead to extreme weather events, including extremely cold winters in localised areas. An example of this is the recent Arctic whether crush in the US a few years back that resulted in Chicago hitting -35c

Its easy to think that this is a sign that climate change isn't happening but it's actually the opposite. Change in climate cycles resulted in extreme whether both high and low.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I always worry why the Climate Change alarmists refuse to debate the matter.
I generally deal with it the same way I deal with any scientific debate. If an alarmist tells me the earth is doomed, I ask them for scientific proof. I ask them to go to a well respected scientific journal and find evidence that the earth is doomed.

I do the same with climate deniers. When people deny man-induced climate change is a problem, I ask them to go to a well respected scientific journal and find scientific research to back up their claims.

In both cases one of three things happen:

1) they provide some news article with no actual science

2) they provide research that's not peer reviewed and not published in a well respected journal

3) they call me a shill for the other side

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Meanwhile Antarctica has just recorded its second coldest winter in history
Yes but there's more evidence from Antarctica....warming seas, greater salinity, animals suffering reduced food source....its a whole eco system. Earth's weather fluctuates, especially at the Poles..but the scientists research shows very concerning data.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I am alot more worried about China bombing us than climate change.
Submarines obsolete now...nuclear or conventional, or chemical drones by the hundreds of thousands :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If anyone wants to read about the effects of climate change, and earth's systems in general, Nature Journal's Knowledge Project has one of the simplest depictions I've seen, and it's all based on best available scientific data