Climate Change

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who cares, China isn’t playing the game so why should anyone else.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We equate to 1% of of co2 emissions. Don’t China equate to 50% of emissions?? More important they do something.
I know what you are saying but everybody needs to take responsibility for their own area of control tho.

We have to make our own very best endeavours to be able to look our grandkids in the eye, with what we have bequeathed to them and their future.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know what you are saying but everybody needs to take responsibility for their own area of control tho.

We have to make our own very best endeavours to be able to look our grandkids in the eye, with what we have bequeathed to them and their future.
I understand that, yet some others continue to focus on economic recovery and strength as opposed to what we’ll be doing. That creates a bigger problem then as a certain nation will then yield more power over its neighbours and ultimately take them over!! I do agree with u and I’m sure Australia will play it’s part, just annoying others have a different rule book

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I understand that, yet some others continue to focus on economic recovery and strength as opposed to what we’ll be doing. That creates a bigger problem then as a certain nation will then yield more power over its neighbours and ultimately take them over!! I do agree with u and I’m sure Australia will play it’s part, just annoying others have a different rule book
Will always be the case no matter the issue sadly. First and foremost we need to control what we can control in our own backyard.

If we can't make much difference to global warming and temperature rise under 1.5°, at least we can Clean Up Australia and mitigate/stop polluting etc where we can.

It really shouldn't be a political football.

Aldo spend money at home: not Mars :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares, China isn’t playing the game so why should anyone else.
Per capita, China's emissions are less than half of ours. So telling China to emit less is like telling the poor people to eat less so the rich people can eat more.

China does emit much more overall (just under 30% of the total global emissions) but it's pure due to their population size. In regard to reduction of emissions and use of renewables, they're ahead of most other countries.

America on the other hand emits over 14% of the total global emissions and per capita emits more than Australia. So it's America who need to do the work.

That said, Australia do too. If every country like Australia says, "we only emit 1%" then that quickly becomes 50% of the emissions not being reduced.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's also the fact that we supply 30% of the world's coal, but that's another issue altogether.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Some excellent Australian scientists have been working on new energy exports. Basically using Australia's landscape for wind farms and solar panels, then using the energy from those to create hydrogen/ammonia batteries which we could export to other countries.

With coal prices dropping rapidly, this would provide us with a new export to save the Australian economy. But the Australian government don't want to invest in it as the technology would further reduce the value of coal.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Per capita, China's emissions are less than half of ours. So telling China to emit less is like telling the poor people to eat less so the rich people can eat more.

China does emit much more overall (just under 30% of the total global emissions) but it's pure due to their population size. In regard to reduction of emissions and use of renewables, they're ahead of most other countries.

America on the other hand emits over 14% of the total global emissions and per capita emits more than Australia. So it's America who need to do the work.

That said, Australia do too. If every country like Australia says, "we only emit 1%" then that quickly becomes 50% of the emissions not being reduced.
I’m sure we’ll do our part but it ain’t gonna do squat for climate change. China the US and India need to make the difference.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sure we’ll do our part but it ain’t gonna do squat for climate change. China the US and India need to make the difference.
Overall, yep. But China and the EU are leading the 3rd industrial revolution. If countries like the US and Australia don't follow suit, China and the EU will become the new global superpowers and our economies will collapse as we're too far behind to catch up.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I keep asking...Why wont the Climate Alarmists debate this matter in an open forum with suitably accredited scientific people?
They seem to hide and just issue rubbishy remarks and people listen to them.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I keep asking...Why wont the Climate Alarmists debate this matter in an open forum with suitably accredited scientific people?
They seem to hide and just issue rubbishy remarks and people listen to them.
Why would an alarmist debate a scientist?

Alarmists are usually kids with no real understanding of it. The debate would generally go:

Alarmist - "Climate change is real!"

Scientist - "yes. Yes it is"

Alarmist - "humans caused the current climate change"

Scientist - "well, cause is the wrong word. But they heavily attributed to it. So yes. It is humans fault"

Alarmist - "we'll all be dead in 50 years!"

Scientist - "no. No we won't. Many millions more will be dead due to anthropogenic climate change. But the human race won't cease to exist. It'll just be very uncomfortable for us in 50 years from now. In 100 years it'll be even more uncomfortable. But we won't go extinct"

Alarmist - "you're a climate denier!"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with the whole climate change debate thing is that it's not experts debating the topic. It's either alarmists making outrageous claims, or it's deniers pretending it's not real.

Almost the entire earth sciences community is in agreement about humans having a major impact on the climate. The discussion is more about the long term effects it will have and how to minimise the impact.

There are some earth scientists who do publicly deny it. The problem is that they're usually geologists and every single one of them are paid by the fossil fuel industry or its advocates. That's not an exaggeration. Literally every single climate or earth based scientist that has publicly denied it, is paid by the fossil fuel industry or their political affiliates.