Burton to test the open market

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH I’d increase to 700k
Agree with other sentiments, he’s young and the kid can play. Next year throw in a good 9, his mate Kikau, and hopefully Flanagan getting better, we aren’t looking too bad. The team needs to gel.

I tell you what does scare me, Burton is the type of player the Rooster LOVE, they’ll be having a crack, and also Uncle Wayne…

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good luck to him if this is true. I would much rather Khaled Rajab on min wage and develop into a $500k+ half for 3 years instead of entertaining a bidding war with Burton’s manager. Fixing up our junior pathways and finally having a pipeline of talent will finally allow us to pick and choose our signings battles instead of getting bullied constantly.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he went, even with our form. Mahoney next year will make a massive difference in the team so the future is brighter and he is in a team where he can and will get marquee money. The hard times will solidify the playing group, add a few more with talent and axe some more deadwood then success will come.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Be really interesting to see how this all pans out.
If you are Burton, it's hard to want to stay at a club like the Bulldogs.
Burton wants to win, he has come from winning teams.
There are a few things important to Burton
Obviously money,
Playing in the halves.
And playing in a competitive team.

Gus has his work cut out for him.
It appears the Bulldogs can offer him a halves spot
We still can't provide a competitive team.
And our money is only ever going to be as good as anyone else's.

I'm worried if storm lose Munster
Then Burton will be easily tempted to take less money to play halves at the storm.

This will really show us what Gus brings to the table.

Gus needs to wrap this up sooner rather than later.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he went, even with our form. Mahoney next year will make a massive difference in the team so the future is brighter and he is in a team where he can and will get marquee money. The hard times will solidify the playing group, add a few more with talent and axe some more deadwood then success will come.
If we can string a few more wins together over the course of the year, we will go a long way towards keeping him. If.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Be really interesting to see how this all pans out.
If you are Burton, it's hard to want to stay at a club like the Bulldogs.
Burton wants to win, he has come from winning teams.
There are a few things important to Burton
Obviously money,
Playing in the halves.
And playing in a competitive team.

Gus has his work cut out for him.
It appears the Bulldogs can offer him a halves spot
We still can't provide a competitive team.
And our money is only ever going to be as good as anyone else's.

I'm worried if storm lose Munster
Then Burton will be easily tempted to take less money to play halves at the storm.

This will really show us what Gus brings to the table.

Gus needs to wrap this up sooner rather than later.
I agree. We have 2/3 at this stage. He will get his money and he will play half. As for competitive this may come down to him personally. If he's looking for a quick fix then he may go but if he waits atleast to see how 2023 goes with a proper #9 then I think we will be ok. As flamebouyant said, if we can win a few more games this year it should help.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does everyone still think he's a centre after last night? The way he controlled the game with his kicking game, he sure looked like a half to me..
What impressed me most about his play last night (apart from the game changing 4020) was his effort plays.

You watch pretty much every chooks try he’s in the frame never giving up on the play which resulted in the try saver (despite getting checked on his run)

For all his natural abilities it was the effort plays for me , oh and standing up for his team mates

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People massively underestimate the impact of a win like that in a struggling team. Builds such a strong bond in the team! Winning every week is good but you don’t appreciate it as much. Especially in front of a home crowd of dogs fans! There’s no better feeling! They would have felt like kings and deservedly so!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree he is a gun but he was no where top3 players tonight
Steve, that 40/20 got us home bro. It gave us the injection we needed to set up the Dufty/Knockonbor try. His boot is a big factor and something we’ve missed for ages.

His try assists will come with better personal around him and better coaching.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlikely to leave with kikau and mahoney coming,he knows we will improve

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Deep breath…
We have a TON of cap space for ‘24 so it’s not like we won’t be able to afford him. But his form will determine what he’s worth and right now that works in our favour.
Not necessarily because there will be a number of clubs willing to pay overs for his signature regardless of his form.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree he is a gun but he was no where top3 players tonight
Disagree. He was in the top 3 for sure and we lose without him. The 40/20 where we score from the ensuing set. Then near the death when his impact in the tackle resulting in Suaalii’s foot brushing the sideline.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What impressed me most about his play last night (apart from the game changing 4020) was his effort plays.

You watch pretty much every chooks try he’s in the frame never giving up on the play which resulted in the try saver (despite getting checked on his run)

For all his natural abilities it was the effort plays for me , oh and standing up for his team mates
Yeah his efforts in defence stood out. He was always scrambling to make a try saver and had multiple efforts defensively play after play to come up with stops. I'm more impressed with efforts like that than how many tries or try assists he has which will start coming eventually.