Burton to test the open market

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lmao…They got this from the bloke in a bar podcast with RL guru. It was a hypothetical situation thrown up by the boys if we’re still doing bad and Burton sees no future in club.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was always going to test the market, would be stupid not to. 550k is absolutely more than fair for him right now at this stage of his career and probably more than he's worth in this moment.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was always going to test the market, would be stupid not to. 550k is absolutely more than fair for him right now at this stage of his career and probably more than he's worth in this moment.
$550K is an absurd amount for a **** who can only kick a ball really high and really far. With that being his only skill set he should probably try the NFL out as a punter if he wants a bigger pay day.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah with how Burton's played so far this year even when factoring in his potential when you see Mahoney's reportedly going to be on 600k next year it'd be hard to offer him more than that. If he really killed it and carried us in multiple games that's when you could talk higher. With Gus here I'm pretty confident we'll keep who we want to but Storm needing a five-eighth they could go hard for someone like him (or Schuster).

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah with how Burton's played so far this year even when factoring in his potential when you see Mahoney's reportedly going to be on 600k next year it'd be hard to offer him more than that. If you really killed it and carried us in multiple games that's when you could talk higher. With Gus here I'm pretty confident we'll keep who we want to but Storm needing a five-eighth they could go hard for someone like him (or Schuster).
Burton isn't even in the conversation for being the reason we've won both our games.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
$550K is an absurd amount for a **** who can only kick a ball really high and really far. With that being his only skill set he should probably try the NFL out as a punter if he wants a bigger pay day.
8 games in and he has only 3 try involvements, 0 line breaks and 6 line break assists. Some of his line breaks assists are also laughable and shouldn't have been awarded to him, NRL.com actually has him on 3 for comparison to Foxsports 6. So yh his left boot has been the only real major positive from him so far, kicked us out of trouble often and has forced a fair few drop outs but other than that he hasn't provided much with the ball in hand.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn’t think to much of it. Gus has it under controll even in the unlikely event Burton leaves I’m sure Munster or a top tier half would be lined up.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cant be bothered reading the post’s, but my take.
Gus wont let him leave nor do I think he wants to leave.
Has he played well , no. Is he playing to his reputation, no.
has he played below expectations yes
But there is an exceptional player there and obviously he is a player we need to keep long term

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
But there is an exceptional player there and obviously he is a player we need to keep long term
Some people here forget that he’s still only 22 and barely played any footy at 5/8 in the top grade yet expect him to have a zillion try assistant plus dozens of try’s and be as dominant as Thurston in his prime. When the team as a whole get their act together and the plodders weeded out and with more games under his belt then we’ll start seeing a gun Burton on a regular basis.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Some people here forget that he’s still only 22 and barely played any footy at 5/8 in the top grade yet expect him to have a zillion try assistant plus dozens of try’s and be as dominant as Thurston in his prime. When the team as a whole get their act together and the plodders weeded out and with more games under his belt then we’ll start seeing a gun Burton on a regular basis.
Agree he is a gun but he was no where top3 players tonight

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

In all seriousness he is just worth 550k atm but you put him on par with plyers like Staggs and Hynes for the sake of it because that is where he probably thinks he is at.

700k a year with bonuses for 3 years should lock him in but he needs to really start playing like a genuine half to get it.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
what a bs article, that salary cap article the other day showed that the top 3 five-eights averaged 700K. burton isn't an elite 6 yet so doesn't deserve that money and is probably getting overpaid on current form where he's just a punter with no running game.