Burton to test the open market

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
BURTON TO TEST THE MARKET

Bulldogs off-season recruit Matt Burton will reportedly test the open market after November 1, looking for a significant upgrade on his current salary.

The 22-year-old premiership winner, who traded the Panthers for the Canterbury-Bankstown side, moved on a two-year deal with a player option for the 2024 season.

Now according to The Daily Telegraph, the gun playmaker will test the market and see if he can find an upgrade on his current $550,000 contract.

It is also understood that Burton will not take up his option, meaning a bidding war could kick off with rivals ready to hand the halfback a significant payrise.

Burton signed his deal prior to his contribution in the Panthers grand final winning campaign and could command more than $700,000 on the open market.

While he is still settling into life under Trent Barrett, noone can deny Burton’s quality, having won Dally M Centre of the Year in 2021 before shifting back to the halves.

Malla

Reaction score
It’s so obvious the DT’s strategy
The start of the week all the drama with Baz and Gus
They expected us to lose tonight and would have put the article out right after full time to amplify the situation and kick us more when we are down

TAS

All In
Reaction score
It’s just more news ltd agenda articles against our club. Anything negative that they can throw at us they are. Truth is not a requirement in their agenda against us. Just dishing out everything and anything negative about us. Gutter “journalism” at it’s filthy best. Kent, Rothfield, Hooper, and all those backing their agenda are just a bunch of shock jocks that know how big our brand is and using that to push their agenda.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s so obvious the DT’s strategy
The start of the week all the drama with Baz and Gus
They expected us to lose tonight and would have put the article out right after full time to amplify the situation and kick us more when we are down
To distract from our epic win

Buzz keeps getting owned by Gus just give up the ghost mate

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand how this would surprise anyone. He would be stupid not to.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And yes DT is doing all they can to destabilise the club.

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He has every right and we should pay him market value

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has every right and we should pay him market value
No denying he should be paid his worth whatever it is.
If i was Burton I would take the option to stay with Kikau and Mahoney coming here.
Potentially his preferred role as a 5/8 would increase his earning potential in the future.
At the moment his resumè shows him as a capable dally M centre.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
unless they substantially lowball him i don't think he'll leave

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great , he’ll get Less than what he’s on

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Article was on the Tele site early this morning
Conspiracy theorists here need to settle down

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were going to have to massively upgrade burton to keep him! Gus has always said the cap money needs to go mainly to the spine! I’m sure he won’t let burton go easily

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s football - hope we can keep him, but, he’s not setting the World on fire so I wouldn’t be overly concerned - he’ll stay imo
His clearing kicks alone are keeping us in games. He’s the only half we have that can kick the ball more than 30m. Opposition teams have been starting their sets on the half way line in seasons gone by