News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Point taken about Averillo's age and I'm not saying that he won't make a good Half or Fullback, but again we now have Flanagen , we have Burton in the halves, as for fullback we have Meanie who has shown he can be a good fullback and like Averillo I'm sure they will flourish under the new regime and a much faster more skillful team around them, but like I said in my other post's, I believe a good fullback has to possess a lot of speed like Patten & Barba, Morris etc. and that's why I would like to see JAC have a crack but if he ends up on the wing then I think Meanie would be the next choice as far as Speed is concerned ( Just my opinion ), Hoppa is a good fullback but again, Speed is his downfall, BMoz is a great winger and we played him at Fullback with success because he is a speedster but the Roosters play him on the wing because Tedesco is their X factor so I'm hoping that JAC will be our X factor but at the end of the day TBaz will decide who goes where and as long as we have winning combinations I think we'll all be happy.
your talking as if averelo hasn’t got speed to burn hahah

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think JAC will have a license to be a roaming winger in attack when he comes over rather than stuck on the wing touching the ball once a few sets like most wingers. With his acceleration I think he'll be timing his run like a FB to an off load from a forward or an inside pass from the halves like Cronk to Slater. If Avo is FB he'll do the same on the other side of the ruck. It will make us unpredictable and difficult to defend against when we have a very quick player on one side in close support with passing skills and the fastest guy in the NRL on the other. If a forward offloads to JAC it's almost a guaranteed try because he won't be run down and its only the opposition FB to side step. That's my take on TB saying he'll use his imagination with JAC. Thinking outside the box - we'll see plenty of that with TB in charge.
I agree although I hope he doesn’t over play his hand as a winger and always be infield because then he will be caught in field when opportunities arise out on the wing and we won’t be capitalising.

he needs to mix it up but not think he is the fullback

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you actually watch the lower grades and not go off what google says like most people, Averillo was moved around alot because of injuries to other players and rised through the ranks at a younger age.
So his size didnt always help,his best position is in the halves with his hands on the ball but because our halves are sorted next year his next best is fullback.
When he puts some muscle on his confidence will grow as well.
Fullbacks needs to be ball playing fullbacks these days Slater changed the way fullbacks play it takes the pressure off the halves.
Jac at fullback is just stupid in my opinion he is a winger no ball playing skills,TBaz said they signed him as a winger but we will see what happens.
If you read my post I referred to Nswrl archives (that is, https://www.nswrl.com.au/) not google. You can check the line ups and stats for most grades over the last 4 years.

The fact is the majority of his games in the senior grades have been at centre. You can check it out yourself.

2017 - 7 games at fullback (SG Ball)
2018 - 15 games in the centres and 1 at HB (SG Ball, Flegg and NSW cup)
2019 - 12 games in the centres, 1 on wing and 5 at HB (SG Ball, Flegg and NSW Cup)

Unless you were showing up at SG ball games 2017 you simply wouldn't have had the opportunity to see him play for extended periods at FB.

I agree with you that his best position might be in the halves (creative half) but not so sold on him at FB at the moment. I think his defence right now is a big issue and too much of an issue to throw him straight into FB next year.

Last edited:

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, it was not that long ago, before we signed JAC that he expressed his desire to play Fullback and we were all saying we don't care where he played as long as we signed him, In my opinion with his speed he would make a great Fullback hopefully in the same vein as Ben Barber who was probably our fastest ever player, we need that kind of speed to return the ball as far up the field as possible or to chase down a chip a head from an opposing team I was under the impression that JAC signed with us rather other teams that were chasing him because we would let him play as fullback, look at other sucessful teams with fast Fullbacks - Tedsco at the Roosters, Pappenhuyzen Melbourne storm, Gutherson Parramatta,
Was Barber faster than Brett Dallas?
Short distance vs longer distance ( up to 100m)...

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you read my post I referred to Nswrl archives (that is, https://www.nswrl.com.au/) not google. You can check the line ups and stats for most grades over the last 4 years.

The fact is the majority of his games in the senior grades have been at centre. You can check it out yourself.

2019 - 12 games in the centres, 1 on wing and 5 at HB (SG Ball, Flegg and NSW Cup)

Unless you were showing up at SG ball games 2017 you simply wouldn't have had the opportunity to see him play for extended periods at FB.

I agree with you that his best position might be in the halves (creative half) but not so sold on him at FB at the moment. I think his defence right now is a big issue and too much of an issue to throw him straight into FB next year.
Stats man!
Anyone can go online and read those and think they know everything!!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was Barber faster than Brett Dallas?
Short distance vs longer distance ( up to 100m)...
No way

I think josh Morris actually beat him in a sprint off with Inglis,Hayne and co a few years back!
Off the mark he had great acceleration

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Perhaps that's what they saw in 2017, maybe they moved him to centre for a couple of seasons to specifically sort out his defence.