News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs remain an option for Benji Marshall in 2021 with the club reportedly planning a late swoop for the clubless veteran.
Marshall is currently on the lookout for a new home after he was told by the Wests Tigers he wouldn't be re-signed beyond this season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Averillo at 6 (Meaney at 1) otherwise Wakeham or Lewis at 6 (no running games, possibly promote BBO). Benji is too dominant and will hinder Flanagan's development imo (look at Brooks, and Benji was dropped even tho he was playing way better than Brooks). We need to move forwards not backwards. I haven't been keen on Benji from day 1, I'd rather we keep pushing for Burton up until mid year next year and use what we have. Barrett is a halves coach, he in theory should be able to get the best out of our younger and less experienced halves.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Bulldogs remain an option for Benji Marshall in 2021 with the club reportedly planning a late swoop for the clubless veteran.
Marshall is currently on the lookout for a new home after he was told by the Wests Tigers he wouldn't be re-signed beyond this season.
Why not I say? Clearly Wakeham & Lewis aren't up to scratch. Bring him in for a year as a top gap if we can't get Burton

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup bring Benji in for a year, he can finish off his career with his bro.. benji is a humble guy, great experience, good for the club on and off field, be a great example for the younger Guys.. and will give his all , has still got more to give and to be completely honest (just my two cents) ....
would not at all be disappointed seeing him in the blue and white..!! Besides, can do a lot worse, I think it’s fitting. 2021 will be a very exciting year! And that’s just the start of things turning around for us..!!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd sign Benji as a backup. If we sign him and then we manage to snag Burton early then Benji plays CC. He'd only be there to stop the prince from playing FG but he's not a good option. It's never a good thing buying a Tigers reject

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I cannot comprehend why anyone would have a problem with this.

1. Benji was one of the most potent halves in the comp last year and almost single handedly won games for a bog average team.

2.He would bring much needed experience to a team that is in real need of experience.

3. We have no better option to play in the halves. If Averillo’s long term position is fullback, he needs to play there next year. Playing him in the halves for one year then shifting him to fullback would only stall his development as a long term fullback.

If we’re really no chance of getting Burton to the club early, there is no downside to the prospect of signing Benji. He would help our team immensely and significantly boost our chances of playing finals footy.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd sign Benji as a backup. If we sign him and then we manage to snag Burton early then Benji plays CC. He'd only be there to stop the prince from playing FG but he's not a good option. It's never a good thing buying a Tigers reject
Signing Benji makes sense. Even if Burton comes over next year we need a backup for injuries to stop Lewis and Wakeham ever playing as our halves again. A Tigers reject as bad as they are, is still a better option than L&W. Benji may even be a better option at hooker as well than the dud options we've been using for the past few years. He certainly has better vision, passing, kicking and creativity than L, W and JMK.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He was by far and away the best tigers player on the field this year. I can only think the tigers are letting him go to prepare for the future.... for a team like us, who have the future sorted, but it’s still 12 months away, he’d be perfect.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was by far and away the best tigers player on the field this year. I can only think the tigers are letting him go to prepare for the future.... for a team like us, who have the future sorted, but it’s still 12 months away, he’s be perfect.
Harry Grant says hello

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF....we can't get Burton early I'd absolutely go for Benji for 1 year. TBaz said in regards to Flanagan that he will lead the team around and he will put attacking players/structures around him. For me, Lewis and Wakeham don't fit into that thinking. Benjis attack was very good last year and I'm sure TBaz can put a defensive structure around Benji to help him out

I don't want Flanagan to have to try and overplay his hand to compensate for Lewis or Wakeham at 6. TBaz obviously has a style of play he wants to play based around Flanagan and Burton as his halves so bring in Benji for a year playing his attacking game and then slotting Burton in next year should be a smoother transition

I want to win games next year. I want our players to get used to winning again. I want our team to start attacking again. For the past 4 years our team has slumped into a losing culture where just putting in a good effort was good enough. I think I heard Flanagan say we lost 4 or 5 games last year by only 1 try. If Benji can help us score more points and start turning close losses into wins and start to create a more competitive winning culture then that's good enough for me. Then slotting Burton and JAC into that side should take us to the next level

In saying all of that I am hoping that Penrith signing Jaedon Salmon today is a glimmer of hope that Burton will be released for 2021