News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't agree with you at all, how can you base that after watching Averillo play a hand full of first grade games, the way you see it we shouldn't have bought JAC cos we have Averillo, well that's your opinion and you are entitle to it but time will tell.
Why would you try and turn one 9f the best wingers in the world into a fb? It just doeant make sense. If he didn't come out and say that he wanted to play fb, then no one in the entire rugby league world would be even talking about him as a potential fb option.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would you try and turn one 9f the best wingers in the world into a fb? It just doeant make sense. If he didn't come out and say that he wanted to play fb, then no one in the entire rugby league world would be even talking about him as a potential fb option.
As much as I’d like him to stay on the wing because I think averelo would make a great fullback,to answer your question,because since he is the best winger in the world and the fastest player in the game it would be crazy to not test him at fullback especially when we don’t already have an established fullback.

he might turn out to be the best fullback in the game we will never know.

if I was coach he would stay on the wing though lol

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you on about mate? Even Baz suggested JAC was signed as a winger.
Mate, it was not that long ago, before we signed JAC that he expressed his desire to play Fullback and we were all saying we don't care where he played as long as we signed him, In my opinion with his speed he would make a great Fullback hopefully in the same vein as Ben Barber who was probably our fastest ever player, we need that kind of speed to return the ball as far up the field as possible or to chase down a chip a head from an opposing team I was under the impression that JAC signed with us rather other teams that were chasing him because we would let him play as fullback, look at other sucessful teams with fast Fullbacks - Tedsco at the Roosters, Pappenhuyzen Melbourne storm, Gutherson Parramatta,

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, it was not that long ago, before we signed JAC that he expressed his desire to play Fullback and we were all saying we don't care where he played as long as we signed him, In my opinion with his speed he would make a great Fullback hopefully in the same vein as Ben Barber who was probably our fastest ever player, we need that kind of speed to return the ball as far up the field as possible or to chase down a chip a head from an opposing team I was under the impression that JAC signed with us rather other teams that were chasing him because we would let him play as fullback, Look at other teams with fast Fullbacks - Tedsco at the Roosters, Pappenhuyzen Melbourne storm, Gutherson Parramatta, Dufty ST George, Holmes, Cowboys, Staines, Penrith, Mitchell South Sydney and the best we could offer was Hoppa the slowest fullback in the NRL ( who couldn't get us out of our Quater ), anyway It's just my opinion, I imagine Jac making a break and passing to support players like Meanie, Averillo , Cotric, Burton, or Doorey how exciting is that going to be, Think about it?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate, it was not that long ago, before we signed JAC that he expressed his desire to play Fullback and we were all saying we don't care where he played as long as we signed him, In my opinion with his speed he would make a great Fullback hopefully in the same vein as Ben Barber who was probably our fastest ever player, we need that kind of speed to return the ball as far up the field as possible or to chase down a chip a head from an opposing team I was under the impression that JAC signed with us rather other teams that were chasing him because we would let him play as fullback, look at other sucessful teams with fast Fullbacks - Tedsco at the Roosters, Pappenhuyzen Melbourne storm, Gutherson Parramatta,
Barba was a 5/8th coming through, not a winger. Completely different story.
Averilo is a 5/8th, and has the skill set to be a quality fb. JAC is a winger. You need more then speed to be a fb.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate, it was not that long ago, before we signed JAC that he expressed his desire to play Fullback and we were all saying we don't care where he played as long as we signed him, In my opinion with his speed he would make a great Fullback hopefully in the same vein as Ben Barber who was probably our fastest ever player, we need that kind of speed to return the ball as far up the field as possible or to chase down a chip a head from an opposing team I was under the impression that JAC signed with us rather other teams that were chasing him because we would let him play as fullback, Look at other teams with fast Fullbacks - Tedsco at the Roosters, Pappenhuyzen Melbourne storm, Gutherson Parramatta, Dufty ST George, Holmes, Cowboys, Staines, Penrith, Mitchell South Sydney and the best we could offer was Hoppa the slowest fullback in the NRL ( who couldn't get us out of our Quater ), anyway It's just my opinion, I imagine Jac making a break and passing to support players like Meanie, Averillo , Cotric, Burton, or Doorey how exciting is that going to be, Think about it?
He will do the same thing from the wing.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What about Fullback? I'm surprised you didn't mention that, If you reckon he was so good & I'm not doubting he, is why did we persist with Lewis, Wakem and Cogger, Well he better get used to playing Center because I can't see him replacing Flannagan or Burton. I was talking first grade debute.
Pay had his favourites at fullback too you can’t hold that against Averillo. Persisting with Lewis for so long is a big reason why he is on the dole now. So when would you have preferred Averillo to make his first grade debut when he was 17 or 18?

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? Did Jake play tennis before he played in the NRL?!! You do realise Jake played both fullback and more recently in the halves in the lower grades?

JAC is not a fullback and Bellamy didn't even bother giving him a game there, that should say enough. JAC is purely a finisher and an out and out pace whore...you play him on the wing and let him drift infield like a Rapana/Holmes where he can play a supporting type role instead of turning him into something he's not...that's literally all he would do at fullback anyway.

Jake might not work @ fullback for a number of reasons but i'm far more willing to see a player like him @ fullback over someone that can just run fast.
If you check nswrl archives Jake played the vast majority of his games at centre in Flegg and NSW cup.

Hasn't had a good stint at fullback or in halves since SG ball.

He clearly was doing something right in the centres as his rise through to first grade was in this position

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you check nswrl archives Jake played the vast majority of his games at centre in Flegg and NSW cup.

He clearly was doing something right in the centres as his rise through to first grade was in this position
Averillo probably wasn't physically ready for first grade in 2020, he was thrown in as a last ditch measure by Pay to have some kind of attacking threat.
Playing centre in first grade is a good development pathway for a young half into first grade, it gives them a sense of what the players outside them need when they move to the halves, e.g Daley and Fitter played a fair bit of centre.
With our 2022 halves seemingly decided in Flanagan and Burton, Averillo's best fit for the side will be at fullback and that's where he should play in 2021.
I'd like to see him starting the year at fullback in reserve grade, give him some time out of the spot light to learn about the role, see how he goes at fullback and hopefully move him to 1st grade after 5 - 10 games at fullback in reggies. Failing that he could play at centre in 1st grade if he is physically up for it.
Hopefully he's having a big pre-season and his development continues into the player we all hope he can be.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And yet he played crap at centre on first grade.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo probably wasn't physically ready for first grade in 2020, he was thrown in as a last ditch measure by Pay to have some kind of attacking threat.
Playing centre in first grade is a good development pathway for a young half into first grade, it gives them a sense of what the players outside them need when they move to the halves, e.g Daley and Fitter played a fair bit of centre.
With our 2022 halves seemingly decided in Flanagan and Burton, Averillo's best fit for the side will be at fullback and that's where he should play in 2021.
I'd like to see him starting the year at fullback in reserve grade, give him some time out of the spot light to learn about the role, see how he goes at fullback and hopefully move him to 1st grade after 5 - 10 games at fullback in reggies. Failing that he could play at centre in 1st grade if he is physically up for it.
Hopefully he's having a big pre-season and his development continues into the player we all hope he can be.
I'll agree with that. Well written....

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

If you actually watch the lower grades and not go off what google says like most people, Averillo was moved around alot because of injuries to other players and rised through the ranks at a younger age.
So his size didnt always help,his best position is in the halves with his hands on the ball but because our halves are sorted next year his next best is fullback.
When he puts some muscle on his confidence will grow as well.
Fullbacks needs to be ball playing fullbacks these days Slater changed the way fullbacks play it takes the pressure off the halves.
Jac at fullback is just stupid in my opinion he is a winger no ball playing skills,TBaz said they signed him as a winger but we will see what happens.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay had his favourites at fullback too you can’t hold that against Averillo. Persisting with Lewis for so long is a big reason why he is on the dole now. So when would you have preferred Averillo to make his first grade debut when he was 17 or 18?
Point taken about Averillo's age and I'm not saying that he won't make a good Half or Fullback, but again we now have Flanagen , we have Burton in the halves, as for fullback we have Meanie who has shown he can be a good fullback and like Averillo I'm sure they will flourish under the new regime and a much faster more skillful team around them, but like I said in my other post's, I believe a good fullback has to possess a lot of speed like Patten & Barba, Morris etc. and that's why I would like to see JAC have a crack but if he ends up on the wing then I think Meanie would be the next choice as far as Speed is concerned ( Just my opinion ), Hoppa is a good fullback but again, Speed is his downfall, BMoz is a great winger and we played him at Fullback with success because he is a speedster but the Roosters play him on the wing because Tedesco is their X factor so I'm hoping that JAC will be our X factor but at the end of the day TBaz will decide who goes where and as long as we have winning combinations I think we'll all be happy.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Point taken about Averillo's age and I'm not saying that he won't make a good Half or Fullback, but again we now have Flanagen , we have Burton in the halves, as for fullback we have Meanie who has shown he can be a good fullback and like Averillo I'm sure they will flourish under the new regime and a much faster more skillful team around them, but like I said in my other post's, I believe a good fullback has to possess a lot of speed like Patten & Barba, Morris etc. and that's why I would like to see JAC have a crack but if he ends up on the wing then I think Meanie would be the next choice as far as Speed is concerned ( Just my opinion ), Hoppa is a good fullback but again, Speed is his downfall, BMoz is a great winger and we played him at Fullback with success because he is a speedster but the Roosters play him on the wing because Tedesco is their X factor so I'm hoping that JAC will be our X factor but at the end of the day TBaz will decide who goes where and as long as we have winning combinations I think we'll all be happy.
Averillo is faster than Meaney..

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you actually watch the lower grades and not go off what google says like most people, Averillo was moved around alot because of injuries to other players and rised through the ranks at a younger age.
So his size didnt always help,his best position is in the halves with his hands on the ball but because our halves are sorted next year his next best is fullback.
Fullbacks needs to be ball playing fullbacks these days Slater changed the way fullbacks play it takes the pressure off the halves.
Jac at fullback is just stupid in my opinion he is a winger no ball playing skills,TBaz said they signed him as a winger but we will see what happens.
I think JAC will have a license to be a roaming winger in attack when he comes over rather than stuck on the wing touching the ball once a few sets like most wingers. With his acceleration I think he'll be timing his run like a FB to an off load from a forward or an inside pass from the halves like Cronk to Slater. If Avo is FB he'll do the same on the other side of the ruck. It will make us unpredictable and difficult to defend against when we have a very quick player on one side in close support with passing skills and the fastest guy in the NRL on the other. If a forward offloads to JAC it's almost a guaranteed try because he won't be run down and its only the opposition FB to side step. That's my take on TB saying he'll use his imagination with JAC. Thinking outside the box - we'll see plenty of that with TB in charge.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will do the same thing from the wing.
I hope so, the only difference is on the wing you have to wait till the ball gets out to you where at fullback you're right in the middle of the action and can make breaks out of broken play like Barba, Patten, Morris etc. but at the end of the day TBAZ will decide who goes where and as long as we win I'm happy.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He looks like he's added abit of size anyways judging by the team photo posted recently. Kid seems like he's on the right track

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel as if I'm living in a weird alternate reality where Wakeham is pretty slow and Meaney is dead average...?