News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My point is. Why play him at 5:8 when he’ll be replaced anyway by Burton. If 5:8 is he’s natural position we won’t be able to support him in it , therefore he might look elsewhere. I have no problem giving him a run at fullback. If he is a natural FB we can slot JAC onto the wing. It’s a Win win
It could just as easily be a lose lose lose, we play Lewis at 5/8, that’s a lose, we play Meaney on the wing when he‘s proven to be better at fullback that’s another lose and the worst lose of all is Averillo doesn’t adapt to fullback and he loses his confidence. I could add another lose, the rest of the team lose their confidence in Averillo.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The roosters kept the right half to bring them there next premiership,
But where still happy with mediocre. Go figure.
No one gets it, like the storm and roosters.
Dont care what yez reckon.
Barret has proved nothing as of yet.
We signed 2 wingers.
A 800 thou prop that has done nothing on any big stage.
I wouldnt get too excited boys.
We need more adjustments yet.
No hooker, no decent props, ordinary back rowers at best, no full back or decent bench.
Benji should retire if he has to come here.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you doubt Flanagan?
Why wouldnt anyone, what has he done ?
The 2nd best program in the nrl couldnt get him out the door quick enough.
The kids done nothing in my eyes . Add he cant tackle and is slow.
Why would u not dought him ?

Can anyone tell me his upside, honestly, and dont say game management cause hes done nothing of the sought at all.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
It could just as easily be a lose lose lose, we play Lewis at 5/8, that’s a lose, we play Meaney on the wing when he‘s proven to be better at fullback that’s another lose and the worst lose of all is Averillo doesn’t adapt to fullback and he loses his confidence. I could add another lose, the rest of the team lose their confidence in Averillo.
Geez, talk about Mr Negative. Fill that glass half full it’s half empty atm.
But I do always get you following me around Turbo....pissing on my strawberries lol

Go Dogs
Geez Turbo ,talk about Mr Negative. Always pissing on my strawberries ... Fill that glass half full it’s always half empty !! Lol

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

Can anyone tell me his upside, honestly, and dont say game management cause hes done nothing of the sought at all.
Oh dear...

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barba scored plenty of tries that were length or the field if I remember correctly one was 105 metres!
i know i think that try was against the titans, however Dallas would have had him gasping he once beat Oudenryn, Offiah and Whereat in a 75m match race i think he is likely the quickest player i can recall in the past 40 years.
Darren Albert is probably right up there too.
Unsure if he measures up to JAC but id say yes.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I usually don’t bother replying to your excessively negative posts, but I’ll make an exception this time:
1. Why wouldnt anyone, what has he done ?
2. The 2nd best program in the nrl couldnt get him out the door quick enough.
3. The kids done nothing in my eyes.
4. Add he cant tackle and is slow.
5. Why would u not dought him ?
6. Can anyone tell me his upside, honestly, and dont say game management cause hes done nothing of the sought at all.
By the numbers;
1. Every team he has played in has made the finals, not a bad record right there. He was chosen as captain of the NSW Under-20s, was chosen in the emerging NSW SOO team, so Fittler and the rest of the NSW Selectors seem to think that maybe he has done plenty (compared to your opinion, which I will come back to later).

2. The Chooks wasn’t "the 2nd best program last year", Robinson completely farked up their fitness regime, both physical and mental. He flogged the shit out of them in the preseason and then did it again in the COVID break. They were gone with 3 rounds to go in the season, the tank was empty, especially the old guys like the Mozzies and JWH who are past their best and need less flogging and more injury management.

3. Your eyes are clouded by the excessive negativity I referred to above. Just an example, in 2020 he had a goal kicking average at 81% (that's El Masri level of accuracy).

4. I refer you to Cronk’s assessment of Flanagan, “A good kicking game, a good support game, good organisation, good defence". Somehow I rate his opinion higher than yours. Even AJohns, I rate his opinion higher than yours (and that's saying something), "Flanagan would be a "really good" fit with the Bulldogs" .... "Everyone knocking Kyle Flanagan, I think he had a really strong year,"

As for his defence,"According to Champion Data, no other half who has played 10 games or more this season has been targeted as regularly as the 22-year-old Flanagan, who has had to make an average of 25.5 tackles a game. It clearly outweighs the defensive work Luke Keary (16.6 tackles a game) has had to shoulder this year and surpasses the amount of tackling Cronk (18.4) had to do during his final season in 2019. But in news that will no doubt please coach Trent Robinson as he tries to find a fix to the club's leaky defence, Flanagan ranks third in tackle efficiency among all halves at 91.5 per cent, behind only Parramatta's Dylan Brown (93.9 per cent) and Newcastle's Kurt Mann (92.6 per cent)."

5. If you mean "doubt", as in "uncertain" then I am certain that he is better than our other 1/2 options and I am certain that even at his worst he represents good Cap value.

6. Not sure about "sought", as in "seek", maybe you mean "sort" as in "type"? If so I suggest you watch the Chooks games a little more closely, as painful as that might be. Personally I like his support play, staying alive, backing up, as in Round 3.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My point is. Why play him at 5:8 when he’ll be replaced anyway by Burton. If 5:8 is he’s natural position we won’t be able to support him in it , therefore he might look elsewhere. I have no problem giving him a run at fullback. If he is a natural FB we can slot JAC onto the wing. It’s a Win win
The best option is to play people in the position that benefits the team. Flanagan is a shoe in for 7.
Averillo is the best option for 6 at the moment. If Burton kills it at 6 next season, we just need to find another position for
Averillo. I dont think it will be fullback as JAC has all the necessary skills to make it his on a permanent basis.
Cotric has one centre nailed down, the other is a toss up. Maybe Averillo could slot in there.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I usually don’t bother replying to your excessively negative posts, but I’ll make an exception this time:

By the numbers;
1. Every team he has played in has made the finals, not a bad record right there. He was chosen as captain of the NSW Under-20s, was chosen in the emerging NSW SOO team, so Fittler and the rest of the NSW Selectors seem to think that maybe he has done plenty (compared to your opinion, which I will come back to later).

2. The Chooks wasn’t "the 2nd best program last year", Robinson completely farked up their fitness regime, both physical and mental. He flogged the shit out of them in the preseason and then did it again in the COVID break. They were gone with 3 rounds to go in the season, the tank was empty, especially the old guys like the Mozzies and JWH who are past their best and need less flogging and more injury management.

3. Your eyes are clouded by the excessive negativity I referred to above. Just an example, in 2020 he had a goal kicking average at 81% (that's El Masri level of accuracy).

4. I refer you to Cronk’s assessment of Flanagan, “A good kicking game, a good support game, good organisation, good defence". Somehow I rate his opinion higher than yours. Even AJohns, I rate his opinion higher than yours (and that's saying something), "Flanagan would be a "really good" fit with the Bulldogs" .... "Everyone knocking Kyle Flanagan, I think he had a really strong year,"

As for his defence,"According to Champion Data, no other half who has played 10 games or more this season has been targeted as regularly as the 22-year-old Flanagan, who has had to make an average of 25.5 tackles a game. It clearly outweighs the defensive work Luke Keary (16.6 tackles a game) has had to shoulder this year and surpasses the amount of tackling Cronk (18.4) had to do during his final season in 2019. But in news that will no doubt please coach Trent Robinson as he tries to find a fix to the club's leaky defence, Flanagan ranks third in tackle efficiency among all halves at 91.5 per cent, behind only Parramatta's Dylan Brown (93.9 per cent) and Newcastle's Kurt Mann (92.6 per cent)."

5. If you mean "doubt", as in "uncertain" then I am certain that he is better than our other 1/2 options and I am certain that even at his worst he represents good Cap value.

6. Not sure about "sought", as in "seek", maybe you mean "sort" as in "type"? If so I suggest you watch the Chooks games a little more closely, as painful as that might be. Personally I like his support play, staying alive, backing up, as in Round 3.

Go Dogs
Dont forget the 800k prop who has done nothing on the big stage!!! I mean, being man of the match in a winning GF side means nothing these days. Especially when it is a prop forward. Lol

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Is this post a gee up ?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

I don’t dought his ability to sought :-).

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
have to say his outlook,,,and spelling is fuggen annoying indeed.

anyone agree it wouldn't hurt for Kyle to put on 5+ kg's? my only concern is he looks a little lean in the dogs photos i've seen..

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The roosters kept the right half to bring them there next premiership,
But where still happy with mediocre. Go figure.
No one gets it, like the storm and roosters.
Dont care what yez reckon.
Barret has proved nothing as of yet.
We signed 2 wingers.
A 800 thou prop that has done nothing on any big stage.
I wouldnt get too excited boys.
We need more adjustments yet.
No hooker, no decent props, ordinary back rowers at best, no full back or decent bench.
Benji should retire if he has to come here.
LOLLLLLLLL dumb shit comment contender already for 2021 and we’re not even into the second week yet

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Flanagan is where Cleary was in 2016/17. I think they're very similar players playstyle wise. Cleary has gotten a lot more game time and was able to develop beside Maloney who was one of the most experienced halves in the competition and at the time still playing good footy. Cleary also wasn't the "main guy" at the Panthers until this year whereas Flanagan was basically asked to replace Cooper Cronk (wasn't going to happen, he's one of the best halfbacks to ever play the game) while he only had a limited amount of NRL games beside his name (8 games). By all records Barrett played a big part in Cleary's development last year (and I'm pretty sure he was there working with Cleary previously before Manly) and he's with us this year. I think he'll be our best halfback since Trent Hodkinson (not many other candidates tbh, I rated Hodkinson anyways) and probably better. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being slightly worse than Cleary (I'm not expecting this, but it's definitely possible). I think it's all mental with Flanagan as he has the same skill set. For what we're paying Flanagan there is also no risk.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

By the numbers;

Go Dogs
Wow twin you really gave it to him.....I think you win this one in a knock out.