News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Would we be showing our hand to other clubs ? If say, we play Averillo at 5/8 for a year and he has a blinder beside Flanagan and proves to the NRL he’s a natural in that position. If you then drop him when Burton arrives he may just walk to another club!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Would we be showing our hand to other clubs ? If say, we play Averillo at 5/8 for a year and he has a blinder beside Flanagan and proves to the NRL he’s a natural in that position. If you then drop him when Burton arrives he may just walk to another club!
Jake knew Baz wanted Burton yet still extended his deal with us..Jake is obviously happy with the pathway the club has set for him.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I cannot comprehend why anyone would have a problem with this.

1. Benji was one of the most potent halves in the comp last year and almost single handedly won games for a bog average team.

2.He would bring much needed experience to a team that is in real need of experience.

3. We have no better option to play in the halves. If Averillo’s long term position is fullback, he needs to play there next year. Playing him in the halves for one year then shifting him to fullback would only stall his development as a long term fullback.

If we’re really no chance of getting Burton to the club early, there is no downside to the prospect of signing Benji. He would help our team immensely and significantly boost our chances of playing finals footy.
i have a problem with this

1. Its Benji Marshall

2. He is experienced in being not good

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What’s the alternative, don’t play him @ 5/8, or off the bench or at fullback in NSW Cup so he gets the shits and leaves? Or do we pick him at Fullback in NRL team deliberately hoping that he fails? Can’t hide forever, most teams would have scouting reports on him anyway, and he has resigned so Barrett must have said something.

Go Dogs

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the alternative, don’t play him @ 5/8, or off the bench or at fullback in NSW Cup so he gets the shits and leaves? Or do we pick him at Fullback in NRL team deliberately hoping that he fails? Can’t hide forever, most teams would have scouting reports on him anyway, and he has resigned so Barrett must have said something.

Go Dogs
A stint in NSW cup playing against men, honing his skills and building some confidence would not be the worse thing for Jakes development.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A stint in NSW cup playing against men, honing his skills and building some confidence would not be the worse thing for Jakes development.
Not a bad idea but I think he will learn more playing first grade plus I think he won’t be happy playing nsw cup and and watching dead average players play first grade ahead of him imo

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a gee up?? Avo will be a 5/8 or FB.. He could play wing or centre at a pinch but would be totally wasted in both positions. He has more creative potential in his little toe nail than JAC does, Ado Carr is a GUN winger and nothing else.
You said there was no point playing him at 6 for 1x year. What’s the point of playing him at fullback for 1x year considering JAC from my understanding has been signed as a fullback?
JAC best position is clearly wing but he is untested at FB.
Averillo at this stage is an unknown at NRL level week on week. I get it that he was one of our only shining lights (and a dogs junior) last season in attack but I wouldn’t go putting him up on a pedestal saying he would make a better FB then JAC. The kids got that X factor which we need and I hope he gets a starting jersey this season to cement a spot somewhere for 2022.
I can’t see it as a FB in 2022 from what I’m reading but it’s all on TB to work that out.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You said there was no point playing him at 6 for 1x year. What’s the point of playing him at fullback for 1x year considering JAC from my understanding has been signed as a fullback?
JAC best position is clearly wing but he is untested at FB.
Averillo at this stage is an unknown at NRL level week on week. I get it that he was one of our only shining lights (and a dogs junior) last season in attack but I wouldn’t go putting him up on a pedestal saying he would make a better FB then JAC. The kids got that X factor which we need and I hope he gets a starting jersey this season to cement a spot somewhere for 2022.
I can’t see it as a FB in 2022 from what I’m reading but it’s all on TB to work that out.
Baz literally said publicly he signed JAC to play on the wing. Has also publicly mentioned Jake as an option at fullback.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly haven’t heard either of those but I don’t live in Sydney or get to watch much of the news so probably missed it. Has be said who is he competing with for the 1 Jersey?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I honestly haven’t heard either of those but I don’t live in Sydney or get to watch much of the news so probably missed it. Has be said who is he competing with for the 1 Jersey?
He did, but I shut off after I heard him mention Jake lol. I think it was Will and Meaney that he mentioned but I could be wrong. There's a thread somewhere on here with a link to the interview, there were a few though.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Why would we want him to fail at fullback?

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont care what any of yez say including barret. Like i said day one, averillo is a 5/8. Many of u forget how young he is.
I can see him going elsewhere and being better than Burton if he wants it bad enough.
The kids a 6, if not here, someone will take him.
The wankfest over flanagan. Why not in year or 2 it be Burton 7, jake 6. Flanagan is way way way over rated on here.
Thats what happens when u listen to papers and stories and have no idea whats right in front of u.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a word no imo, Dallas was lightning and Barba just pretty quick..also Barba ran out of juice on a long run Dallas didnt.
Barba scored plenty of tries that were length or the field if I remember correctly one was 105 metres!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would we want him to fail at fullback?
Exactly my point, throwing him in the deep end without any senior fullback experience is way too much of risk to take. A totally unnecessary risk at that.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So narrow minded. Jake is just a later developer. Be a big boy in another 2 years.
How flanagan iis looked upon like a permanent fix just bewildes me.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly my point, throwing him in the deep end without any senior fullback experience is way too much of risk to take. A totally unnecessary risk at that.

Go Dogs
My point is. Why play him at 5:8 when he’ll be replaced anyway by Burton. If 5:8 is he’s natural position we won’t be able to support him in it , therefore he might look elsewhere. I have no problem giving him a run at fullback. If he is a natural FB we can slot JAC onto the wing. It’s a Win win