News Bulldogs coach Dean Pay denies senior players wishes for mass changes

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can we do the same with Foran then Ben if we’re looking at ways to move people on?
How are they comparable? One is a coach that has run the team into the ground and is deliberately not playing our best youngsters. He's proving more and more by the minute that he's not a FG coach and is doing more harm than good..

The other is a player who despite being constantly injured, adds a lot to the team when he plays and makes the team better, not worse.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Baffles me why anyone would ascend that paywall with their hard earned too :-).
A late friend of mine was a Federal Govt Minister, a few decades ago. He told me a story of a visit he made to New York. Reporters interviewed him at the airport. The Archbishop of Canterbury arrived at the same time, so both were interviewed in the same room. He told me that the big story in NY was illegal brothels; so the reporters asked the Archbishop - "are you here to deal with the brothels?" - as if he'd know what the story of the day was. Surprised by the question, the Archbishop said "are there brothels in New York?" The headline next day read - "ARCHBISHOP SAYS, SHOW ME THE BROTHELS"

I certainly wouldn't give Murdoch one red cent.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A late friend of mine was a Federal Govt Minister, a few decades ago. He told me a story of a visit he made to New York. Reporters interviewed him at the airport. The Archbishop of Canterbury arrived at the same time, so both were interviewed in the same room. He told me that the big story in NY was illegal brothels; so the reporters asked the Archbishop - "are you here to deal with the brothels?" - as if he'd know what the story of the day was. Surprised by the question, the Archbishop said "are there brothels in New York?" The headline next day read - "ARCHBISHOP SAYS, SHOW ME THE BROTHELS"

I certainly wouldn't give Murdoch one red cent.
Yeah, not surprising.
They should turn their attention to novels considering they’re so adept at fiction :-).

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol i cant beleive people still think everything is rosey at the club.

I know for a fact. That support staff are baffled by some of Pays decisions, not just about the line up but other decisions about football operations and training.

I can't speak for the players. As that would be hearsay. But i have been told some are not happy.

Maybe Pay is just part of a wider problem at the club.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Common sense prevails.
He’ll either finish the season or a fair settlement will be made.
We can’t afford to pay out the rest of his contract
What about a demotion to assistant coach?
I could see that as being a reasonable and plausible outcome for all parties and to save face for the club.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
How are they comparable? One is a coach that has run the team into the ground and is deliberately not playing our best youngsters. He's proving more and more by the minute that he's not a FG coach and is doing more harm than good..

The other is a player who despite being constantly injured, adds a lot to the team when he plays and makes the team better, not worse.
Well, on Monday we’ll finally see whether that combo of coach and player (not exclusively of course) can deliver a much needed shot in the arm with a win.

My point Ben is that in my view the problem (and therefore the solution) is not exclusive to any one individual.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What about a demotion to assistant coach?
I could see that as being a reasonable and plausible outcome for all parties and to save face for the club.
Pretty rare for anyone to accept that I think - such a loss of face for the individual - unless they’re made of Teflon and so eager to remain at the club because they don’t want to do anything else.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whoever made those suggestions, should probably be coaching the side.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Their mess wasn’t as big as ours.
They didn’t make the 8 last year.
They’ve won 2 out of 3 - might be a bit premature to be laying on the praise.
If they make the 8 this year I’ll supply credit where it’s due...
Now you are just ignoring facts to suit your narrative.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty rare for anyone to accept that I think - such a loss of face for the individual - unless they’re made of Teflon and so eager to remain at the club because they don’t want to do anything else.
Assistant coach is better than unemployed though

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol i cant beleive people still think everything is rosey at the club.

I know for a fact. That support staff are baffled by some of Pays decisions, not just about the line up but other decisions about football operations and training.

I can't speak for the players. As that would be hearsay. But i have been told some are not happy.

Maybe Pay is just part of a wider problem at the club.
If Pay is stuffing up as a Rookie coach.. isnt also part of the clubs responsibility to support him and make sure they do their best to support him..

If hes signing duds and persisting with duds, the club has to take responsibility for rubber stamping those decisions..

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will have to bribe anyone to come near belmore now...paying overs for players is recreating the mess of Hasler but we won't be able to attract anyone decent without huge coin..lets be real
Doubt it. We have something for 2021 we haven't had for 3+ years. Money.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We will have to bribe anyone to come near belmore now...paying overs for players is recreating the mess of Hasler but we won't be able to attract anyone decent without huge coin..lets be real
Really? What happened in 2009 after our spoon year of 2008. When you have money you have a lot more power. More recently we had to pick up players on the outer at other clubs only because we had no choice. Let’s see what unfolds after 30 June...

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim Dymock did (tongue firmly in cheek)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Pay is stuffing up as a Rookie coach.. isnt also part of the clubs responsibility to support him and make sure they do their best to support him..

If hes signing duds and persisting with duds, the club has to take responsibility for rubber stamping those decisions..
People making decisions at the club are ultimately responsible for this, even me not being a fan of Pay can see that they haven't done enough to support him. I personally don't think it would change our football all that much, Pay simply isn't good enough and you can't micromanage all the things he does.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way I see it is this.

He had all of lockdown to decide how he was going to approach that first game. He wouldn't have made those decisions to start with Cogger, Lewis etc. rashly and in all honesty, they would've been the most thought through plans he's made in his lifetime of coaching. Those plans failed spectacularily. Utter embarrassment of a performance which was on the back of his selections.

The argument is what him sticking with the same team shows.

Is it showing that he's stubborn in his ways, refuses to change his approach, sticks to his guns at all costs?

Or is it a coach giving those "well thought out plans" a chance to come to fruition? To stick to those players who he showed loyalty to?

I'm not here trying to say that Pay's right or wrong about things (he's wrong btw). Just trying to understand the madness (imo) behind his selections decisions so far. As much as a majority on here hate him, there needs to be some reasoning behind his decision making as poor as that reasoning might be.
Any coach in any sport has the freedom to choose the team he wants on a weekly basis, and will have his own methods by which he makes those decisions. Pay has show that he is a loyal person, and He wants to give the players a chance to redeem themselves. But the issue for me is that this very same team was comprehensively beaten, out enthused, and embarrassed 2 months apart, but in 2 consecutive games. I honestly expected the boys to be pumped for the last game, but they were meek as fuck!!! So as far as I'm concerned, they had their chance and failed. It really is time for new blood.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Shit coaching aside....

We have some tremendous talent coming thru finally,
Averillo
Wakeham
Harper
Bindi what ever his name is
Toomaga
Ogden etc.

I find it even more frustrating they arent given a decent chance to show their wares. Give Wakeham enough chances same way Lewis is afforded a shot week after week.
Give Averillo a shot at Fb, give Harper a go. Fuck off britt and napa start toomaga and Ogden.

This is the time to blood players and see who excels, then we use our war chest to prop up our weaknesses.
Even if we had a combined Bennett/robinson/Bellamy as co coaches, we still would never win a comp with this squad, but believe u me, that they would give the youngsters a go and Fuck off deadwood..