Shit coaching aside....

We have some tremendous talent coming thru finally,
Averillo
Wakeham
Harper
Bindi what ever his name is
Toomaga
Ogden etc.

I find it even more frustrating they arent given a decent chance to show their wares. Give Wakeham enough chances same way Lewis is afforded a shot week after week.
Give Averillo a shot at Fb, give Harper a go. Fuck off britt and napa start toomaga and Ogden.

This is the time to blood players and see who excels, then we use our war chest to prop up our weaknesses.
Even if we had a combined Bennett/robinson/Bellamy as co coaches, we still would never win a comp with this squad, but believe u me, that they would give the youngsters a go and Fuck off deadwood..
If Pay gave the young guys a chance and played the established players likes of DWZ and R Smith in their best positions and the team team still kept losing it would be a lot easier to stomach.

I don't understand Pays' loyalty to players that have served him up a shit sandwich so many times.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shit coaching aside....

We have some tremendous talent coming thru finally,
Averillo
Wakeham
Harper
Bindi what ever his name is
Toomaga
Ogden etc.

I find it even more frustrating they arent given a decent chance to show their wares. Give Wakeham enough chances same way Lewis is afforded a shot week after week.
Give Averillo a shot at Fb, give Harper a go. Fuck off britt and napa start toomaga and Ogden.

This is the time to blood players and see who excels, then we use our war chest to prop up our weaknesses.
Even if we had a combined Bennett/robinson/Bellamy as co coaches, we still would never win a comp with this squad, but believe u me, that they would give the youngsters a go and Fuck off deadwood..
At the Titans Holbrook has already dropped Cartwright, Peachey and Rein in recent weeks and this week dropped Wallace, Peats and Boyd. Those are some of their highest paid and most senior players.

He's also promoted their best youngsters in the last few weeks. This is how you send a message and rebuild the right way. Too bad we're into Pay's third season and he still can't bring himself to do the same...

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did we manage to get

Ennis
Kimmorley
Staggs
Eastwood
Hannant
Jmoz

In the same year? That was brilliant recruitment! Doubt we will be able to match that next year...

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You talk about common sense, let's use some.. I don't think it would cost much to pay out the rest of his deal.

He's in the last year of his contract. He was already the lowest paid coach in the league by a fair margin. He's already taken a pay cut this season and the way NRL payments work, he would have been paid for most of this season already despite it being round 4.

So I highly doubt that sacking Pay early will put the club in financial ruin when there'd be no more than 150k left to pay on his deal factoring in the pay cut and what's already been paid.
How much money are you talking?
The club was asking members to practically donate $200 a few weeks ago

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best team possible. And people act as if our roster is worst roster in history. All be it not the best roster. We difficult need a 1 and 9. But with this team you named we can easily be competitive and push for a top 8 spot. It's just Pays selections are fucking bewildering. Our roster isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
I agree. I'd like to see us try Hopoate at fullback with Harper and Averillo in the centres. Toomaga and RFM starting. Toomaga lost some weight during the break in an attempt to nail CHN's spot.

Hopoate
DWZ
Harper
Averillo
Smith
Foran
Wakeham
Napa
JMK
Sue
RFM
Jackson
Toomaga

Reserves
Ogden
Britt
Tolman
Elliott

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How much money are you talking?
The club was asking members to practically donate $200 a few weeks ago
Since then the NRL has confirmed next season each club will receive their full grants and the Leagues Club has just re-opened. So the situation isn't as dire as it seemed a month or two ago.

I doubt the club will declare bankruptcy because it has to give Pay the 100k or more that he's still owed and would have had to pay him anyway.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Pay wants to shoot himself in the foot by sticking with Lewis. Some of the other selections are baffling, but picking Lewis is over the top weird. It baffles me how a player with such great one-on-one tackling technique can be so unco everywhere else, but he is. And don't start telling me he can kick! They might be long but they never bother anyone and 9 out of 10 go right down the fullbacks throat.

Can't Steve Price or someone put a rocket up Pay, maybe buy him some glasses or shout him a 101 coaching course?

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since then the NRL has confirmed next season each club will receive their full grants and the Leagues Club has just re-opened. So the situation isn't as dire as it seemed a month or two ago.

I doubt the club will declare bankruptcy because it has to give Pay the 100k or more that he's still owed and would have had to pay him anyway.
What if an early payout for Pay then brought about an exciting attacking brand of football with players playing what’s in front of them?
Which then became more appealing in the eyes of potential sponsors. Could be a great financial decision amongst many other reasons

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looks like Pay wants to shoot himself in the foot by sticking with Lewis. Some of the other selections are baffling, but picking Lewis is over the top weird. It baffles me how a player with such great one-on-one tackling technique can be so unco everywhere else, but he is. And don't start telling me he can kick! They might be long but they never bother anyone and 9 out of 10 go right down the fullbacks throat.

Can't Steve Price or someone put a rocket up Pay, maybe buy him some glasses or shout him a 101 coaching course?
The worst thing is Lewis is known as a defensive player yet he's even been poor in that area this season with some shocking one on one misses and reads that have directly led to numerous tries. He also has a wors tackle efficiency than Wakeham.

So the flawed "reasoning" of selecting Lewis because of his defensive attributes doesn't even hold up know with how much Lewis is struggling in an area that's supposed to be his strength.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If one of those 4 senior players was Tolman I would have told him we would be a chance to score more points if he stopped taking pointless hit ups on the 4th tackle in the opposition 20

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What if an early payout for Pay then brought about an exciting attacking brand of football with players playing what’s in front of them?
Which then became more appealing in the eyes of potential sponsors. Could be a great financial decision amongst many other reasons
Exactly. Sometimes a small payout is a wise investment for those reasons and more. Firing Pay would also send a message to potential recruits and player managers that our club is serious about changing the losing culture and removes a lot of the stench around the club at the moment.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

No. The grant is 130% of the cap. So 100% for the playing roster and 30% for all other staff - football, admin etc.
The NRL was not paying the clubs during the shutdown and hence why most staff were all stood down without pay (no pun intended).
The Leagues club and sponsors make up the rest. We don't have a major sponsor and the Leagues club has been closed and hence the taps turned off.
You're suggesting solutions with money that simply isn't there.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No. The grant is 130% of the cap. So 100% for the playing roster and 30% for all other staff - football, admin etc.
The NRL was not paying the clubs during the shutdown and hence why most staff were all stood down without pay (no pun intended).
The Leagues club and sponsors make up the rest. We don't have a major sponsor and the Leagues club has been closed and hence the taps turned off.
You're suggesting solutions with money that simply isn't there.
Okay let's start again because you seem to be missing my point..

Pay is in the last year of his deal reducing the figure of a payout compared to if he had three years left on his deal.

Pay is the lowest paid coach in the league by a substantial margin.

Pay would have already had most of his salary paid as players and coaches start getting paid around October each year for the following season.

Due to Covid, Pay has already accepted a sizeable pay cut for the rest of this season on his already meagre salary thereby reducing the amount that needs to be paid out even further.

To suggest that giving Pay the 100k or so he's still owed a few months earlier to fire him would put the club in financial ruin is absurd.

You and others praised the club for moving on players like Woods and Mybe to other clubs when we've been paying part of their salary to play at another club for a few seasons, yet you think it's negligent to fire a coach with only a minimal amount of money left on his deal?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Okay let's start again because you seem to be missing my point..

Pay is in the last year of his deal reducing the figure of a payout compared to if he had three years left on his deal.
Pay is the lowest paid coach in the league by a substantial margin.
Pay would have already had most of his salary paid as players and coaches start getting paid around October each year for the following season.
Due to Covid, Pay has already accepted a sizeable pay cut for the rest of this season on his already meagre salary thereby reducing the amount that needs to be paid out even further.
To suggest that giving Pay the 100k or so he's still owed a few months earlier to fire him would put the club in financial ruin is absurd.
You and others praised the club for moving on players like Woods and Mybe to other clubs when we've been paying part of their salary to play at another club for a few seasons, yet you think it's negligent to fire a coach with only a minimal amount of money left on his deal?
His wage compared to other clubs is irrelevant. It's what the club can afford. Why do you think the Steelers aren't sacking Mary? Same problem.
And you know for sure staff have accepted pay cuts? No, you don't. They were stood down without wages during the NRL shutdown - that's it.
Who has suggested 'financial ruin' Ben? No-one. There are many costs to cover - and paying out a coach would not be anywhere near the top of the pile right now.
I praised the club for moving on players did I? There was no choice to be cap compliant Ben. Hence our problems now.
Please - if you're going to push a barrow on a particular outcome - at least stick to the facts - which with this argument you are not.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His wage compared to other clubs is irrelevant. It's what the club can afford. Why do you think the Steelers aren't sacking Mary? Same problem.
And you know for sure staff have accepted pay cuts? No, you don't. They were stood down without wages during the NRL shutdown - that's it.
Who has suggested 'financial ruin' Ben? No-one. There are many costs to cover - and paying out a coach would not be anywhere near the top of the pile right now.
I praised the club for moving on players did I? There was no choice to be cap compliant Ben. Hence our problems now.
Please - if you're going to push a barrow on a particular outcome - at least stick to the facts - which with this argument you are not.
Do you actually have any inside info?

I would love to know how you know what the clubs financial position and priorities are.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do you actually have any inside info?

I would love to know how you know what the clubs financial position and priorities are.
Footy club members receive financial results from the football club. If you aren’t a member of the footy club and want to see more detail, join up, it’s not expensive.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Footy club members receive financial results from the football club. If you aren’t a member of the footy club and want to see more detail, join up, it’s not expensive.
So according to the reports what are the priorities?

When was the report published? Pre or post covid? Pre or post 3 embarrassing losses?

Priorities can change overnight Dinkum. Financial positions can change overnight. Stakeholder interests can change and put pressure of the board to act.

So unless you know any stakeholders or board members personally. Your info may be outdated.