Opinion Anyone else watching Harper and thinking wtf

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Um - what about the opposition ??

Are you not thinking how are they defending so badly with a 20 year coach in charge ???????

Maybe , just maybe, it has something to do with the cattle.

But even in saying that Manly are still full of rep players and are lucky to be down by only 30 at half time
Thats my point, we have a shit coach. Swap Baz with Fitzy and I guarantee we would resemble more of a first grade team than we currently do.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He hardly spotted Hynes . A heap of clubs were after him.

Sharks offered the most money
I wonder if those clubs were after him as a 7 though, I personally never thought he would work as a long term half.

Not every players follows the most money, some take less to play under better coaches or systems. In some cases taking the highest offer can kill your career, I’m sure a few of our signings are thinking that.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats my point, we have a shit coach. Swap Baz with Fitzy and I guarantee we would resemble more of a first grade team than we currently do.
Fitzy was never taking a job with us mate.

He inherited a top 8 roster and made some good signings.

I know what you are saying but he has the cattle.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if those clubs were after him as a 7 though, I personally never thought he would work as a long term half.

Not every players follows the most money, some take less to play under better coaches or systems. In some cases taking the highest offer can kill your career, I’m sure a few of our signings are thinking that.
Alex McKinnon said the exact same thing. Heaps of recruitment guys didn’t see him as a 7.

But credit to them.

I still don’t think Fitzy signed him as a 7 though. There is nothing to suggest he was ever going to be that good as a dominant half in first grade.

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Exactly right.

I don’t think you can compare the 2 teams, and that’s not defending Barrett.

Fitzy inherited a top 8 team and added a couple of good players.
Barrett inherited surely the worst roster in the NRL, it was as bad as 2006 or worse.

Maybe Baz isn’t the coach but I don’t think we would be much better if Fitzy was with us this season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His defence was always a problem but now he's a liability. He's not doing anything in attack anymore. He won't play FG for a while. Koula will replace him next week.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thinking that they made the right call when they got rid of him. Look at all the earlier posts on this thread. It makes you laugh.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have never liked Harper, he is pretty typical of a lot of modern day players. He is all mouth and being a smart arse when things are going well but the minute they are faced with any sort of pressure or adversity they shit the bed and post it in. Having to forget the NRL and go and chase rubbish bins to make some money has given Talaki some perspective and humility and turned him into a great footy player. Watching him decimate harper last night was some of the most satisfying football I have watched in a long time. I hope he gets a shot at origin football, he really does deserve it.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Just looking at his head I say WTF? Then there's his grubbiness on field so I enjoy watching him getting outplayed every game.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair I don’t think many centres will be able to stop talakai when he’s in that mood. He’s to big and strong
Pretty sure Tony carrol. Greg Inglis, Justin olam etc would disagree .......

Malla

Reaction score

Yeah, Fitzy isn't proven at all he is just coaching a great team. John Morris had this team in the top 6 last season before he was sacked. They're a good team. The embarrassing thing for Fitzy is he is apparently all about defense and the last 2 weeks they've leaked 60+ points against quality attack (even though Manly played poorly).

Malla

Reaction score
To be fair I don’t think many centres will be able to stop talakai when he’s in that mood. He’s to big and strong
Yeah and defending next to DCE must be hell. Worst defender in the league. Can't blame Harper completely, but of course he will get all the blame because DCE is sucking Haslers cock

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Fitzy isn't proven at all he is just coaching a great team. John Morris had this team in the top 6 last season before he was sacked. They're a good team. The embarrassing thing for Fitzy is he is apparently all about defense and the last 2 weeks they've leaked 60+ points against quality attack (even though Manly played poorly).
Yep he is doing a good job but alot of their points are coming from Hynes and Moylan. I dont think he has to do much coaching of those guys. They are natural playmakers which is something we just dont have.

They both dig into the line and time their passes well.

They also have a bloody good hooker who gives great service from dummy half. The last time I looked we didnt have that .......

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah and defending next to DCE must be hell. Worst defender in the league. Can't blame Harper completely, but of course he will get all the blame because DCE is sucking Haslers cock
Can't agree with that.

DCE is not in the worst defending halves in the comp. I'd probably say he is in the middle to to the top end tbh.

Moylan, Walker, Moses, Brooks, Sexton and Munster I would rate as way worse. Probably Cody Walker too.

Harper got served on an absolute platter yesterday - and if im Dean Pay, i'd be kicking back and enjoying it - because that is probably one of very few calls he got correct.