Another day, another soccer riot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say, while it's good that the RBB have come out and condemned this incident, I don't actually believe that the majority (or at very least a sizable minority) of their number really mean this apology. This is not having a go at Wanderers fans - I don't believe the apology issued the previous week by the Cove for a massive banner calling Melbourne Victory fans "Tards" was that genuine either. I sat in the Cove for two years before concluding that I didn't wish to have my enjoyment of the game ruined by being amongst morons who understood very little about soccer and even less about basic sportsmanship.

Soccer in Australia loves its victim mentality and its belief that they are the most passionate supporters of any code simply because they behave the least reasonably. You only have to look at the response to a tiny (and I mean tiny) number of Wanderers supporters and Melbourne Victory supporters getting long banning orders from games. Both clubs banded round and defended the people removed and basically blamed the police for picking on them and not understanding true sports culture. Nonsense. I can honestly say that if they banned 20, they could reasonably have banned ten times that number. I've seen amazingly tolerable policing at these games and, after a trip to Gosford, would have had no objection to 20-30 of the Cove never being allowed back into any stadium for years.

Comparing with Rugby League, if 100 Bulldogs fans had behaved like this, the club and the Bulldogs Army would likely have come out and condemned this action. The difference, however, is that an average rank and file member of the Army would have thought the people di*kheads who were out of line. An average member of any of the core soccer supporters' groups would have thought those people near-heroes and blamed the police and/or authorities for overreacting and spoiling their atmosphere.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
You keep saying that I don't know anything.... like that's a defence... again I am not saying that YOU are the one who is doing these things but you shouldn't be defending them...

They are not Minority, there is a large group of them.

I know this...

I have been to a game with my mate and his 2 young kids... some guy with tats and funny haircut started yelling at my mate's 10 years old daughter... When we called security and he ejected him, his mates and there was about 20+ of them starting screaming obscenities at my mates kids... one very intelligent guy was asking my mate 10 years old daughter "whose your daddy"?

Lot more shit happened to lots more people, whom I know or know off. There had been complaints lodged with the WSW club and nothing happened about it, not even a letter of apology...

Honestly mate, stop turning the blind eye and pretending everything is ok, solving the problem starts by admitting that you have one.
You haven't read a single thing I've written up until now... which is why I'm going to stop wasting my time

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I have to say, while it's good that the RBB have come out and condemned this incident, I don't actually believe that the majority (or at very least a sizable minority) of their number really mean this apology. This is not having a go at Wanderers fans - I don't believe the apology issued the previous week by the Cove for a massive banner calling Melbourne Victory fans "Tards" was that genuine either. I sat in the Cove for two years before concluding that I didn't wish to have my enjoyment of the game ruined by being amongst morons who understood very little about soccer and even less about basic sportsmanship.
Whether you thinks its genuine coming from the RBB or not, there could be serious repercussions towards the RBB coming into our home game of the finals. The March from woolies to Parra stadium could be canned after the events of Saturday night, restrictions on instruments, banners and flags into the NT especially in the active support.

Dont think that RBB find this behaviour from those minorities who were being dickheads was 'acceptable'. Again that is not what the RBB is about.

Soccer in Australia loves its victim mentality and its belief that they are the most passionate supporters of any code simply because they behave the least reasonably. You only have to look at the response to a tiny (and I mean tiny) number of Wanderers supporters and Melbourne Victory supporters getting long banning orders from games. Both clubs banded round and defended the people removed and basically blamed the police for picking on them and not understanding true sports culture. Nonsense. I can honestly say that if they banned 20, they could reasonably have banned ten times that number. I've seen amazingly tolerable policing at these games and, after a trip to Gosford, would have had no objection to 20-30 of the Cove never being allowed back into any stadium for years.
If you understand what happened, these guys are getting banned for the little things that you can get away with 100% of the time at an NRL game and the security at the games won't even have a 2nd look at it. These guys are not getting the support from the club and an explanation from the FFA to justify the bans hence the silent and protest banners at the games.

Comparing with Rugby League, if 100 Bulldogs fans had behaved like this, the club and the Bulldogs Army would likely have come out and condemned this action. The difference, however, is that an average rank and file member of the Army would have thought the people di*kheads who were out of line. An average member of any of the core soccer supporters' groups would have thought those people near-heroes and blamed the police and/or authorities for overreacting and spoiling their atmosphere.
No thats not right. As me and Eedz have explained it in our recent posts

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It must be tough for the Wanderers to control this as this is their first season and dont have a home based club as of yet. The FFA need to help here!

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you understand what happened, these guys are getting banned for the little things that you can get away with 100% of the time at an NRL game and the security at the games won't even have a 2nd look at it. These guys are not getting the support from the club and an explanation from the FFA to justify the bans hence the silent and protest banners at the games.

No thats not right. As me and Eedz have explained it in our recent posts
Just to address your two points:

We might have to agree to disagree on this one. I find behaviour in A-League games way worse than anything in NRL crowds. The last two seasons we went up to Gosford for the away game at the Mariners and both times we ended up switching section, simply because a not small number of people in the Cove were absolutely out of control. I've not seen anything comparable in an NRL stadium. If you think of the busiest Rugby League crowds leaving on the train (Souths-Dogs, Dogs-Eels or Origin games) and the banter is generally loud but jovial. I refuse to believe that if you had the main sections of the Cove and the RBB in together that you wouldn't need enormous police presence to avoid disgraceful scenes.

I'm not saying for a second that you, or anyone else on here is part of the complete moron group that does condone this stuff. I just feel that a majority (or at least a worryingly large minority) of these groups actively love seeing this kind of thing. That said, there is of course a massive number of keen Wanderers supporters who would never behave like this in a million years.

I just hate that these thugs (RBB, Cove, Blue and White Brigade) have appointed themselves as the voice and face of soccer in Australia. The us-and-them mentality of "if you're not as aggressive and unreasonable as us, you don't care about the sport" is pathetic. I've loved the game and been going to matches for over 25 years. I've travelled to matches in more than 10 countries. I've refereed games in the semi-professional ranks. To suggest I'm not a true follower of the game because I've never tried to intimidate anyone not bothering me simply because of their allegiances is laughable.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Soccer hooligans are a disgarce to their clubs, imagine if we terrorized a public bistro, the Wanderers need to say sorry to the public.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Bob, the club and the RBB already apologised.

BTW, come meet us this friday @ district park for the RBBBBQ where there will be beer :D

Just to address your two points:

We might have to agree to disagree on this one. I find behaviour in A-League games way worse than anything in NRL crowds. The last two seasons we went up to Gosford for the away game at the Mariners and both times we ended up switching section, simply because a not small number of people in the Cove were absolutely out of control. I've not seen anything comparable in an NRL stadium. If you think of the busiest Rugby League crowds leaving on the train (Souths-Dogs, Dogs-Eels or Origin games) and the banter is generally loud but jovial. I refuse to believe that if you had the main sections of the Cove and the RBB in together that you wouldn't need enormous police presence to avoid disgraceful scenes.

I'm not saying for a second that you, or anyone else on here is part of the complete moron group that does condone this stuff. I just feel that a majority (or at least a worryingly large minority) of these groups actively love seeing this kind of thing. That said, there is of course a massive number of keen Wanderers supporters who would never behave like this in a million years.

I just hate that these thugs (RBB, Cove, Blue and White Brigade) have appointed themselves as the voice and face of soccer in Australia. The us-and-them mentality of "if you're not as aggressive and unreasonable as us, you don't care about the sport" is pathetic. I've loved the game and been going to matches for over 25 years. I've travelled to matches in more than 10 countries. I've refereed games in the semi-professional ranks. To suggest I'm not a true follower of the game because I've never tried to intimidate anyone not bothering me simply because of their allegiances is laughable.
Fair points Pom, not going to agree with everything you said though but these are good points you have made and I am not going to deny about that last bit. The active support is never the face of this country for football, the FFA want to distance themselves away from that.

However the Wanderers have used the success of the RBB to promote their support for the team as you have seen in Parra last week with the "Who Do You Sing For?", even Nike are using the success of the RBB to promote their brand to Western Sydney and so are the NRMA who are now using the "Who do you insure for? We insure for the NRMA" for their radio advertising, not sure if you heard it though but it does sound stupid.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Posted on the Wanderers forum

Ok, 1stly, this isn't a blame game post.

I'd like to highlight the importance for ALL of us to ensure the Wanderers supporter base is an idiot free zone. We cannot expect to never have some incident of anti social behaviour, as I believe it's a societal issue, not a football issue. However, if we all actively pressure one another to behave for the good of the game, club and supporter groups (both RBB and general) the idiots will quickly find they don't have a home.

Also, I'd like to say thanks to the guys who are clearly seen in the video of the restaurant incident trying to stop the trouble escalating. To those blokes who were behaving like animals, I highly doubt you'll read this (or are on this forum) however, WAKE UP TO YOURSELF. Actions have consequences.

I was contacted by one of WSF.com's sponsors yesterday. They are seriously considering not activating their option. They have a 5 year contract with options for each year. This should have been a stable sponsor to provide this website (which cost many $$$ to operate) an income stream. As they stated, they are worried the impact on their brand being associated with a supporters group garnering not just negative publicity, but due to an abhorrent act.

Also, the Coach company booked for the Newcastle away trip pulled their buses. We have secured an alternative charter company, however this is an excerpt from the original...
“As a result of recent poor publicity associated with the West Sydney Wanderers supporters, Telford’s Bus and Coach regrets that we are no longer in a position to supply vehicles on Friday, 29th March 2013.”
Further, the march is now in jeopardy. The Police Officer quoted in all the TV news interviews is the actual officer Ian and John have been dealing with since way back when to ensure the smooth running and legitimacy of our marches. If, and thats a big if, we get to march again, expect an increased Police presence.

Everyone, I just want you all to be aware of the consequences. We have something special developing with our club and supporters base. If you see your mate acting like a loon, pull his head in. This isn't about being the fun police. This isn't about 'snitching'. It's about each one of us taking some responsibility. Each one of us ensuring we nurture the culture that WE ALL WANT.

We do some really good things. The community fund. The BBQ's. Our unwavering support for our team. However, perception is reality. I was so annoyed with the lady who rang 2UE and spoke about 'the animals had a running rampage on the Central Coast' during our march there. Her statement was in complete contrast with what actually took place and what the police personally emailed and telephoned me. That we were the best behaved, most organised, supporters group they had ever seen.

However, 1 dickhead can ruin it for all of us. Perception is reality.

I didn't really want to give the weekends issue anymore oxygen, however in the last 24hrs I've had this communication from both the bus company and WSF sponsor. I can only imagine the scale of it for the WSW. I felt it necessary for all of us to know.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
Ozman and MP4-Eedz know what they are talking about

it sounds like a lot of pa pa paranoia coming from the greatest

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't imagine the banter that would follow when I posted the article, but thanks to guys like ozman and MP4-Eedz for your views, I'm sure you may have found it difficult to keep the emotions under control when posting some of your responses.

I doubt the success of the WSW was expected so quickly, and it appears some things got a bit out of hand without the powers that be putting proper strategies in place. I hope they can do something, and quickly, especially with the finals approaching.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score

it sounds like a lot of pa pa paranoia coming from the greatest
Haha good call ;)

I didn't imagine the banter that would follow when I posted the article, but thanks to guys like ozman and MP4-Eedz for your views, I'm sure you may have found it difficult to keep the emotions under control when posting some of your responses.

I doubt the success of the WSW was expected so quickly, and it appears some things got a bit out of hand without the powers that be putting proper strategies in place. I hope they can do something, and quickly, especially with the finals approaching.
Look we're both as passionate about the wanderers as we are about the bulldogs, we as Dogs supporters have been through this crap years ago with the dickheads elements that continue to fuck our club's reputation up and the media putting us on the front page when a minor incident happens at our games. Remember this? Roosters vs Dragons 2005 ANZAC day clash, 32 fans arrested for violent and drunken behaviour yet no mention in the media, a few arrests from us and its front page news.

No one really predicted the Wanderers success so quickly especially in the first year. our support grew from strength to strength. But unfortunately after the events of Saturday night, when people have accepted the wanderers, this shit happens with a Sydney FC fan, no one within the Wanderers support are happy with this.

As with that post I put up today from the Wanderers forum, that shows that all the effort and hard work to make the RBB to what it was and go down so quickly and to think this is our first season.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, when you watch a Serbian and Croatian stand side by side chanting "These colours unite us all, all the places where from. In this city we own, we call West Sydney home"

OR

When you chant “We’re from the streets of Western Sydney”

It quickly runs a little deeper then just a football club

Secondly, the majority of these fans are ex-NSL fans who refused to support Sydney FC because the support culture wasn’t ultras enough, it wasn’t European enough.

They supported this team long before it was given a name, it had a home long before a stadium was announced

You know what I mean
100% correct

I was an ex Syndey Olympic fan (NSL team)

Never followed Sydney FC....

you will find that there is a mix of nationalities supporting WSW, including Serbian, Croatian Greek, Lebanese, Assyrian, Russians..

I'll only make this comment one time, and not bother with it again

Anyone one here who is going to sit on the naive "scum of the a-league" bandwagon because of a minority deserved every bit of criticism, abuse they got years ago and still do as Bulldogs supporters.

You were never any better then the farkwits on the other side of the fence calling you rap!sts
Just like the Bulldogs weeded out those trouble makers, the Wanderers will weed out troublemakers as well

I'm sorry mate, but Bulldogs supporters never went to this kind of rubbish...and never stooped this law... The behaviour of these groups are like nothing this country has ever seen before and that's coming from police officers...

What's worse is that Gallop came out and pretty much labelled it as a nonevent, instead of acknowledging the problem and actively doing something about it. And don't tell me they don't know who they are, you can pick them up from pics and the video very clearly...

Did the WSW management say anything about it? Has any memberships been cancelled or any "supporters" been banned?
You will find that the core of the RBB, have heavily condemned the actions of a few so called supporters.

They had massive issues over the weeked, with blow ins, that were not members, causing trouble...

active support is not generally something you see in other sports, alot of people do not understand it.

however the actions of a few morons, should not impact the whole club....we as Bulldogs fans should know best out of everybody, considering our whole fan base were listed as troublemakers.

One thing the media failed to mentioned, is that the RBB, were involved in fundraising for the purchasing of tickets, for the African community, that can't afford to attend games...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are the fool that believes the media BS and talks about things you have no idea about
I'll hide behind sarcasm because telling you to go and phuck yourself is considered rude on this form...

So yes you are very smart..

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol @ A-League supporters what a pretentious/deluded bunch. Just shows how bad the A-League is when a team can be thrown together at the last minute and dominate.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

That gay little silent protest made me fucking lol so hard

'' a silent stand for our brothers banned''

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are just another typical flog
And you are just a fat phuck who sacres the hell out of any all you can eat restaurant and can't score with a 50 years old porstitute.. Honestly, if I was 1% like you I'll kill myself or find a whole and crawl in it.
Now go back and play with your d1ck if you can find it and leave me alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.