Another day, another soccer riot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice man bag habibi....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...rs-fans-run-riot/story-fncvk70o-1226605826255

[h=1]Hooligan horror as Western Sydney Wanderers fans run riot[/h]

Watch
[h=2]Western Sydney Wanderers hooligans[/h]A video posted on 2GB's Youtube page shows Western Sydney Wanderers supporters intimidating families at a Parramatta restaurant.

Play

0:00 / 1:01

Scrubber
mute
Fullscreen

DISGRACEFUL scenes of violence and intimidation by fans of the Western Sydney Wanderers football club have forced Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione to bolster officer numbers at future matches.

A fan at the Wanderers versus Sydney FC game. Picture: The Western Weekender/ Melinda Jane Source: The Daily Telegraph

Frightening video of fans terrorising families before Saturday night's A-League derby at Parramatta came to light yesterday. More than 100 Wanderers supporters were filmed surrounding an outside section of a restaurant, yelling, swearing and spitting. A plate and a glass were thrown, hitting a Sydney FC fan who was dining with friends.
Innocent patrons, including children and the elderly, were caught up in the violence as they dined at a steak restaurant near the Riverside Theatre.
The behaviour of the group was as cowardly as it was distasteful, with their numbers ensuring no one at the restaurant could take a stand against their vile actions.

One of the diners who filmed the incident, an ex-policeman who wished to be identified only as "Paul", described the melee outside the Ribs and Rumps restaurant as "pretty frightening".
"The fans were aggressive, spitting and hurling abuse. I had my two daughters, nine and 11, and other family there and I was worried it could explode," Paul said.
"Luckily the Sydney fan sat down and didn't retaliate or else I think there was real possibility of a riot."
Police are reviewing CCTV footage from the restaurant to identify victims and those involved in any criminal acts.
The violence was not limited to outside the stadium, with more troublemakers - including pitch invaders - arrested inside during the match.
Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop last night described the incident as the "antics of a few morons", despite the images clearly showing there were vastly more than a few responsible for the disturbing scenes.
"We will be vigilant and methodical in weeding out anti-social elements. When we say 'zero-tolerance' we mean it," Mr Gallop said.
"I know the vast majority of fans are just as disgusted as I am about the rogue elements."
Mr Scipione received a full briefing yesterday from the local area commander Superintendent Robert Redfern and viewed the video taken by Paul, which was given to 2GB's Ray Hadley.
Supt Redfern said more than 160 police were deployed for the match and there would be more at future games.
"This is unacceptable and if it takes 100 police more we will be there," he said.
Supt Redfern said he would be passing on information about Wanderers fans to Newcastle police ahead of the club's clash against the Jets on Friday. About 8000 Wanderers fans are expected to travel north to the match.
"We will be passing on intelligence and who to watch out for," Supt Redfern said.
"Had we not had the resources of 160 police on hand the situation could have been a lot worse."

Unruly behaviour in the stands before the match / Pic: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The A League has to do something about this. It's an absolute joke. I live near Parra stadium and I can tell you it isn't worth going out and about when a Wanderers game is on. Trouble in the streets and at just about every pub near by.

The small minority causing these dramas need to be stamped out. Just like our club did a decade ago.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
All I'll say is... Dogs should appreciate what is going

There are a lot d!ckheads among us, however the core supporter group is working hard to remove the morons

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
All I'll say is... Dogs should appreciate what is going

There are a lot d!ckheads among us, however the core supporter group is working hard to remove the morons
I agree with Eedz.

As a Wanderers fans who was there on Saturday night, those flogs don't represent what the RBB is all about. Just think back when we had the dickhead elements since 2000 who thought it was cool to be part of the Bulldogs army, starts fights with random fans who were not Bulldogs supporters and smash up the trains from Olympic Park to Lidcombe by trying to impress their mates.

Football banter is ok but obviously these flogs took a step too far.

The core guys are going to ensure that these flogs can stay as far away from the active support group and the club as possible, we don't want them there if their intention is to come to a Wanderers game and cause trouble.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I enjoy soccer/football, and am sure it is a d!ckhead element, not the majority. But that minority is clearly spoiling thigns for everyone else. I'm not sure I beleive this "zero tolerence" line being trotted out - what I see from police and the powers that be at WSW is hardly zero tolerance.

I just can't comprehend the mentality of these idiots. Why are they trashing the brand of their own team? What are they gaining?

I was at the "Belmore riot" against Penrith, i think in '96 from memory. I was in Dogs jersey with a mate in a Panfers jersey. As the brickes flew overhead on the hill right on full time, we got the fark out of there. That was bad enough.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bunch of puckwits tbh... stupid phucking heros hunting in packs..

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Eedz.

As a Wanderers fans who was there on Saturday night, those flogs don't represent what the RBB is all about. Just think back when we had the dickhead elements since 2000 who thought it was cool to be part of the Bulldogs army, starts fights with random fans who were not Bulldogs supporters and smash up the trains from Olympic Park to Lidcombe by trying to impress their mates.

Football banter is ok but obviously these flogs took a step too far.

The core guys are going to ensure that these flogs can stay as far away from the active support group and the club as possible, we don't want them there if their intention is to come to a Wanderers game and cause trouble.
Pretty much agree with every word.

I'll start with full disclosure: I live in Parramatta, but an a Sydney FC supporter. My wife and I had already been members at the Sky Blues for a few years before Wanderers started, so decided to stay loyal to our club rather than jump ship to the locals. (We were at the first two derbies of the season, but watched Saturday's game on TV as our son was not yet three weeks old).

I'm really torn on what the Wanderers do for the league.

On the field, they're superb - a great success and a terrific advert for solid coaching and they lay to rest any ideas that a clean philosophy and wise player acquisition can get a team winning straight away.

Off the field, they've connected with people in Western Sydney in a way that the A-League has never done before. I was at a mate's BBQ at the weekend and the number of people actually talking about soccer in Australia was terrific to see. There's always been an interest in the game here, and I've found it a bit disappointing that far more people could name Barcelona's or Manchester United's lineup than could name their local side's. It's also nice to see Parra CBD decked out in red and black. There is a feeling that they belong to this region in a way Sydney FC never have or will.

But... I really don't like the defiance or aggression that seems to have tagged along with them. Quite aside from the extreme, high-profile end of things, like rocks thrown during their early trial games or the video that hit the press after the weekend, there's still an oddly aggressive and humourless tone to much of the support. Ironically, they're basing much of their schtick on European Ultras groups, but the Red and Black Bloc (and the Cove and all other major supporters' groups) seem to miss the fact that, maybe barring extreme groups (for example in the big Croatian and Polish derbies) these groups are often quite humorous and critical of their own sides. I've been to the Glasgow Old Firm derby and the Rome derby and, crazy as they are, they feel like high-intensity sports events. Much of the Wanderers mob feel like a pack of testosterone-fueled thugs who've simply latched onto a side.

Even on a minor level, my wife posts quite a bit on Facebook or Twitter and any time Sydney FC are mentioned (even a photo of me holding my newborn son and a little Sydney FC plushie ball while watching his first game on TV) prompted a couple of Wanderers fans to reply with semi-aggressive RBB chants. It seems weirdly reactionary and unnecessary. Terrace banter is awesome, but you have to at least have a degree of sympathy and respect for other supporter bases and I think elements of the Wanderers' base just don't get this.

As harmful as it was to gates and the spread of the game, you can really see why the A-League wanted a one city, one team model and why, even when they relaxed that in Melbourne, they started a second team with the exact same geographic footprint.

(Interestingly, having gone to a few Sydney FC away game - no further than Gosford and Newcastle, mind - I'm convinced the Cove didn't seem to be quite such bad d*ckheads this year. Ok, everything's relative and they're always going to be a largely d*ckhead mob, but they seemed a little less so this year. I'm convinced some of the hangers-on, those with minimal interest in the sport, but maximal interest in being obnoxious to folk have jumped ship to the Wanderers. It seems too big a coincidence and, if you only want to be a tool to other people, why brave driving Parramatta Road in to Moore Park when you can stay home in the Western Suburbs and be that tool? Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like that.)

Overall, Wanderers should be one of the best things to happen to soccer in Australia and, for 90+% of their supporter base are helping make it so. Sadly, a very sizable minority just don't get it and, in fact, don't actually care for the sport at all. I really hope enough of the Red and Black Bloc (and the authorities) know how to tame the stupid excesses without losing so many of the positives.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how could you have SO MUCH "passion" to a club that existed for less than a year?

Also what will happen if they win or God forbid if the lose a semi?

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
scum of the a-league.
Agreed, I was actually starting to get some interest in them, I was gonna jump on board with some sort of a cooperate sponsorship thing... But not anymore, there is no way I'll be connecting my name or my company's name to something like that.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how could you have SO MUCH "passion" to a club that existed for less than a year?

Haha. My thoughts entirely.

Plus, why does being passionate about something equal being violent to all alternatives? Morons.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are dickhe@ds everywhere and are involved in all sports. I feel sorry for the Wanderers fans as a result. Hopefully their club & the A league can do something about it.

I went to an AFL game years ago with a mate of mine an was pleasantly surprised by the diverse crowd. There were entire families watching the game which included the elderly & children. They did not have any fear as the crowd seemed well behaved.

Its a shame that the Wanderers fans are unable to do this.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This might be a silly question but what is now considered Western Sydney? I live in Croydon Park which is considered possibly inner west or just outside from that. Would I support Sydney FC or the Wanderers considering where I live?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This might be a silly question but what is now considered Western Sydney? I live in Croydon Park which is considered possibly inner west or just outside from that. Would I support Sydney FC or the Wanderers considering where I live?
Support who you want I guess, neither of us live in "Canterbury-Bankstown" although you go pretty close. Allianz Stadium is slightly closer than Parramatta Stadium.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score

Firstly, when you watch a Serbian and Croatian stand side by side chanting "These colours unite us all, all the places where from. In this city we own, we call West Sydney home"

OR

When you chant “We’re from the streets of Western Sydney”

It quickly runs a little deeper then just a football club

Secondly, the majority of these fans are ex-NSL fans who refused to support Sydney FC because the support culture wasn’t ultras enough, it wasn’t European enough.

They supported this team long before it was given a name, it had a home long before a stadium was announced

You know what I mean

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Support who you want I guess, neither of us live in "Canterbury-Bankstown" although you go pretty close. Allianz Stadium is slightly closer than Parramatta Stadium.
I agree with the above but what would be the theoretical cut-off?

Bankstown, Parramatta, Ashfield, etc.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I'll only make this comment one time, and not bother with it again

Anyone one here who is going to sit on the naive "scum of the a-league" bandwagon because of a minority deserved every bit of criticism, abuse they got years ago and still do as Bulldogs supporters.

You were never any better then the farkwits on the other side of the fence calling you rap!sts

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
David gallop thought he had trouble with dogs supporters.
The phrase "out of the frying pan and into the fire" comes to mind.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll only make this comment one time, and not bother with it again

Anyone one here who is going to sit on the naive "scum of the a-league" bandwagon because of a minority deserved every bit of criticism, abuse they got years ago and still do as Bulldogs supporters.

You were never any better then the farkwits on the other side of the fence calling you rap!sts
I'm sorry mate, but Bulldogs supporters never went to this kind of rubbish...and never stooped this law... The behaviour of these groups are like nothing this country has ever seen before and that's coming from police officers...

What's worse is that Gallop came out and pretty much labelled it as a nonevent, instead of acknowledging the problem and actively doing something about it. And don't tell me they don't know who they are, you can pick them up from pics and the video very clearly...

Did the WSW management say anything about it? Has any memberships been cancelled or any "supporters" been banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.