Andrew Fifita set to sue Canterbury Bulldogs for $3.2 million over contract offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Fifita issue could be massive problem for the Club. Presumably there will be an out of court settlement and whatever is paid to Fifita could be counted against the salary cap-correct? Ouch !!

No word from the Club on this yet?
The Fifita issue is a non issue, otherwise something would have happened 6 yrs ago.

Funny how Pearces MOU with Manly is just being let go when he signed with Newcastle. Manly will not sue him because it isn't legally binding.

Anyone can sue, doesn't mean they will win.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if he does win, how does it affect salary cap, if at all ?
Also, a large proportion of what remains after the legal fees sequestered will be paid to the charity known as ATO.

This is all very entertaining!

~c.
He does not have to win the case mate. There just needs to be a settlememt and if he is paid some money from that settlement - more than likely counted against our salary cap.
On the ATO issue, the players after tax payments are not what is used to calculate a salary cap but pre tax. If the salary cap was $10m after tax mate, clubs would be insolvent. You are right some comments here are entertaining. We need a club statement on this issue or will it be dealt with in Mar 2018.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the dumbest blokes in the NRL suing one of the richest clubs. This in legal circles is called a try on. For minimal legal costs they’ll amp up some sort of case to try and get some cash out of us. If the dogs are smart they’ll drag this out for as long as possible and make it an ongoing distraction for him or better still counter claim for defamation or brand / reputation damage of some sort. Teach the muppet a lesson

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One of the dumbest blokes in the NRL suing one of the richest clubs. This in legal circles is called a try on. For minimal legal costs they’ll amp up some sort of case to try and get some cash out of us. If the dogs are smart they’ll drag this out for as long as possible and make it an ongoing distraction for him or better still counter claim for defamation or brand / reputation damage of some sort. Teach the muppet a lesson[/QUOT

N

Natboy

It will get messy for him and I’m sure he doesn’t want his suicide attempt etc to be made public

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think the point is being missed. There will more than likely be a settlement; whether he is wrong or right. That settlement will probably be counted against the salary cap. Together with the back ended deals, which have been reported -another tough couple of years maybe. Club should make a statement asap on this. Massive court case in the context of the total revenue of the Club.

N

Natboy

I think the point is being missed. There will more than likely be a settlement; whether he is wrong or right. That settlement will probably be counted against the salary cap. Together with the back ended deals, which have been reported -another tough couple of years maybe. Club should make a statement asap on this. Massive court case in the context of the total revenue of the Club.
I feel we will settle with Hasler but will be very surprised if we give Fifita a cent.
He is having a go but without seeing the file I believe he’s wasting his time

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He does not have to win the case mate. There just needs to be a settlememt and if he is paid some money from that settlement - more than likely counted against our salary cap.
On the ATO issue, the players after tax payments are not what is used to calculate a salary cap but pre tax. If the salary cap was $10m after tax mate, clubs would be insolvent. You are right some comments here are entertaining. We need a club statement on this issue or will it be dealt with in Mar 2018.
Not really the point I was making re: tax, apologies for the confusion .... what he does receive, if anything, will be halved due to the tax bracket his salary range resides. Nothing to do with pre-tax salary cap at all.

~c.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not really the point I was making re: tax, apologies for the confusion .... what he does receive, if anything, will be halved due to the tax bracket his salary range resides. Nothing to do with pre-tax salary cap at all.

Ok. I wish the club made a statement on this issue though. It will not go to court but i can see us paying him something, which i am sure means cap dramas again
. When are these cap dramas going to end?
~c.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No it won't. Has nothing to do with the salary cap.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No it won't. Has nothing to do with the salary cap.
You are way off mark mate. It us no different to paying a player to play elsewhere or paying part of a playing contract despite a player leaving a club as a resukt of the dispute.
Until we get an official statement from the NRL, we have to be aware that we arw great risk of any settlement payment will be counted as part of the salary cap.
Even if it is a couple of hundred thousand dollars-we are stretched as is and possibly over for 2019 due to backended deals. I think the salary cap will need several years to be fixed. We need black and white clarification so we can all support our club knowing all is in order.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are way off mark mate. It us no different to paying a player to play elsewhere or paying part of a playing contract despite a player leaving a club as a resukt of the dispute.
Until we get an official statement from the NRL, we have to be aware that we arw great risk of any settlement payment will be counted as part of the salary cap.
Even if it is a couple of hundred thousand dollars-we are stretched as is and possibly over for 2019 due to backended deals. I think the salary cap will need several years to be fixed. We need black and white clarification so we can all support our club knowing all is in order.
We do not want to lose another icon of our club like we have this year

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
We do not want to lose another icon of our club like we have this year
I don't think that will happen. If anything we're going the other direction now and getting back our former club icons.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With respect mate they are too old to take the field-lol

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm way off the mark? Show me the legal papers that Fifita has served on the club! There aren't any and already you have decided that not only will we be up for a fortune but the club will descend into chaos as a result. This is nothing more than a journo talking with an idiot who no doubt on the drink said something like "jeez I might have a crack at the dogs like Des is. could do with a bit more cash." And that has now turned into the club going bankrupt. At the absolute best the most that could come out of this is the difference between his current salary and the proposed contract payment - a few hundred grand, in toto. Again, it has nothing to do with the salary cap for next year as it is a damages claim and it relates to the previous period. That's if it even exists, which currently it doesn't. Why in hell would the NRL comment on something that doesn't exist, hasn't been tested and relates to an internal issue? By all means deal be concerned about things that exist but if you are going to get worked up about things that don't it's going to be a long off season.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the dumbest blokes in the NRL suing one of the richest clubs. This in legal circles is called a try on. For minimal legal costs they’ll amp up some sort of case to try and get some cash out of us. If the dogs are smart they’ll drag this out for as long as possible and make it an ongoing distraction for him or better still counter claim for defamation or brand / reputation damage of some sort. Teach the muppet a lesson
A company I once worked for had a policy that went like this: Invest the amount they are suing for, if it returns more than the cost of a barrister to defend the case, then use the earnings to drag the case out until the claimant runs out of money.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i hope we piss on the money he wants and then light it up infront of him

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm way off the mark? Show me the legal papers that Fifita has served on the club! There aren't any and already you have decided that not only will we be up for a fortune but the club will descend into chaos as a result. This is nothing more than a journo talking with an idiot who no doubt on the drink said something like "jeez I might have a crack at the dogs like Des is. could do with a bit more cash." And that has now turned into the club going bankrupt. At the absolute best the most that could come out of this is the difference between his current salary and the proposed contract payment - a few hundred grand, in toto. Again, it has nothing to do with the salary cap for next year as it is a damages claim and it relates to the previous period. That's if it even exists, which currently it doesn't. Why in hell would the NRL comment on something that doesn't exist, hasn't been tested and relates to an internal issue? By all means deal be concerned about things that exist but if you are going to get worked up about things that don't it's going to be a long off season.
I think you are getting a little emotional.
I have not said we are up for a fortune. If we have to pay Fifita something as a settlement so the case is not heard in a court room, whatever we pay Fifita will count against the salary cap. Now you do not know the answer and nor do 100 per cent. We need clarification from governing body as to what affect if any, this will have on the cap. In the meantime the club should tell supporters its stance. Even if it does not affect the cap-it will still be money lost by the club. Please do not say the Leagues Club will just write a cheque. That is not how it should work.
Despite any issue of salary cap or football dept cap, ot who is right or wrong, these are the fact
1. We have our former coach suing is for about $2.5 m,
2. A current international threatening to sue us for about $3m,
3. We are big money for our former club captain and current international to play against us and so on and so on.
Not in my 37 years of following the club have i seen this.

So forget about salary caps etc, please answer 1 question, are the 3 facts correct Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.