Andrew Fifita set to sue Canterbury Bulldogs for $3.2 million over contract offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you are getting a little emotional.
I have not said we are up for a fortune. If we have to pay Fifita something as a settlement so the case is not heard in a court room, whatever we pay Fifita will count against the salary cap. Now you do not know the answer and nor do 100 per cent. We need clarification from governing body as to what affect if any, this will have on the cap. In the meantime the club should tell supporters its stance. Even if it does not affect the cap-it will still be money lost by the club. Please do not say the Leagues Club will just write a cheque. That is not how it should work.
Despite any issue of salary cap or football dept cap, ot who is right or wrong, these are the fact
1. We have our former coach suing is for about $2.5 m,
2. A current international threatening to sue us for about $3m,
3. We are big money for our former club captain and current international to play against us and so on and so on.
Not in my 37 years of following the club have i seen this.

So forget about salary caps etc, please answer 1 question, are the 3 facts correct Yes or No?
Didn't realise I was in the witness box. Actually the facts are not correct. Hasler is seeking $2.4m not $2.5m, but in any event that is only arbitrary. Fifita hasn't threatened anything it has only been reported by a disreputable journalist that he is thinking about it and probably at best we are paying $200k for Graham to play elsewhere. In my 50 years of being a member and following the Dogs I have seen law suits threatened against us many times and we have paid players to play elsewhere. We've had almost entire teams move on due to some of our problems. As for the coach, well we sacked Moore and paid him for the next 3 years to come to my golf course (and his) to play golf. We could've done the same thing with hasler but decided that he didn't merit it or perhaps we did make him an offer and he rejected it. So now Des wants his next 2 years pay as a damages claim instead.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you are getting a little emotional.
I have not said we are up for a fortune. If we have to pay Fifita something as a settlement so the case is not heard in a court room, whatever we pay Fifita will count against the salary cap. Now you do not know the answer and nor do 100 per cent. We need clarification from governing body as to what affect if any, this will have on the cap. In the meantime the club should tell supporters its stance. Even if it does not affect the cap-it will still be money lost by the club. Please do not say the Leagues Club will just write a cheque. That is not how it should work.
Despite any issue of salary cap or football dept cap, ot who is right or wrong, these are the fact
1. We have our former coach suing is for about $2.5 m,
2. A current international threatening to sue us for about $3m,
3. We are big money for our former club captain and current international to play against us and so on and so on.
Not in my 37 years of following the club have i seen this.

So forget about salary caps etc, please answer 1 question, are the 3 facts correct Yes or No?
Yes the 3 facts are correct, but show me a club that isn't paying a former player to play somewhere else. Everybody does it. Welcome to 2017.

Fifita has about about as much chance to sue us as I do replacing Hopoate at FB with my fat arse.

Des' claim is very iffy itself.

Just because someone claims wrong doing do not automatically assume our club is in the wrong. Des is stirring up shit hoping to settle out of court to get something. Fifita is no chance in hell.

Why are you carrying on? Little piranha attack big fish hoping to get a little bit of flesh.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how has the scum being disadvantaged in any way or form. As far as I am concerned he was made an offer and refused and opted to stay at the sharks, bloody low life scum. There is no loss of income in this instance so no grounds.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He does not have to win the case mate. There just needs to be a settlememt and if he is paid some money from that settlement - more than likely counted against our salary cap.
On the ATO issue, the players after tax payments are not what is used to calculate a salary cap but pre tax. If the salary cap was $10m after tax mate, clubs would be insolvent. You are right some comments here are entertaining. We need a club statement on this issue or will it be dealt with in Mar 2018.
Did Parramatta's settlement with William Hopoate on 29/10/2016 get included in their salary cap? My understanding is that the NRL said it wouldn't be. So wouldn't that have set a precedent?

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes the 3 facts are correct, but show me a club that isn't paying a former player to play somewhere else. Everybody does it. Welcome to 2017.

Fifita has about about as much chance to sue us as I do replacing Hopoate at FB with my fat arse.

Des' claim is very iffy itself.

Just because someone claims wrong doing do not automatically assume our club is in the wrong. Des is stirring up shit hoping to settle out of court to get something. Fifita is no chance in hell.

Why are you carrying on? Little piranha attack big fish hoping to get a little bit of flesh.
What a mess

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Didn't realise I was in the witness box. Actually the facts are not correct. Hasler is seeking $2.4m not $2.5m, but in any event that is only arbitrary. Fifita hasn't threatened anything it has only been reported by a disreputable journalist that he is thinking about it and probably at best we are paying $200k for Graham to play elsewhere. In my 50 years of being a member and following the Dogs I have seen law suits threatened against us many times and we have paid players to play elsewhere. We've had almost entire teams move on due to some of our problems. As for the coach, well we sacked Moore and paid him for the next 3 years to come to my golf course (and his) to play golf. We could've done the same thing with hasler but decided that he didn't merit it or perhaps we did make him an offer and he rejected it. So now Des wants his next 2 years pay as a damages claim instead.
So I'm guessing your ever ray dib or one of his cousins......

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not having a crack m8, just don't think ray dibs name deserves to be in capitals that's all.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of the dumbest blokes in the NRL suing one of the richest clubs. This in legal circles is called a try on. For minimal legal costs they’ll amp up some sort of case to try and get some cash out of us. If the dogs are smart they’ll drag this out for as long as possible and make it an ongoing distraction for him or better still counter claim for defamation or brand / reputation damage of some sort. Teach the muppet a lesson
The timing of this is very deliberate. They had all but given up until we punted hasler. Now they’re hoping they can use haslers firing to somehow paint us as serial offenders and push a settlement.
What the club should do, is make a strong statement on the matter, something along the lines of “we believe this litigation to be frivolous, at best, and we will defend ourselves with vigour. We will also be counter-suing for damages and costs.”
Watch his little dick and balls whither, then.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned he was made an offer and refused and opted to stay at the sharks, bloody low life scum. There is no loss of income in this instance so no grounds.
Not quite.
We signed an MOU, then retracted it based on his stupidity.
I Still don’t think he has a claim against us, though.

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are way off mark mate. It us no different to paying a player to play elsewhere or paying part of a playing contract despite a player leaving a club as a resukt of the dispute.
Until we get an official statement from the NRL, we have to be aware that we arw great risk of any settlement payment will be counted as part of the salary cap.
Even if it is a couple of hundred thousand dollars-we are stretched as is and possibly over for 2019 due to backended deals. I think the salary cap will need several years to be fixed. We need black and white clarification so we can all support our club knowing all is in order.
I think we need to know what is happening so we can either say fateater is a fucking wanker for getting the money or so we can write sucked into the fat bastard for losing the case either way we will still call him a dick would be good to have clarification on what sort

Last edited:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not having a crack m8, just don't think ray dibs name deserves to be in capitals that's all.
Which would be fine except I didn't even mention him in the post you replied to......:grinning:

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not quite.
We signed an MOU, then retracted it based on his stupidity.
I Still don’t think he has a claim against us, though.
Actually mate, unfortunately there may be more to it but let's wait and see. Love to all

Status
Not open for further replies.