News “A result of performance”: Ciraldo confirms Bulldogs will consider changes, debutants after Warriors loss

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else think having a starting 6 that plays small minutes, can barely run and a weak defender is a good move? I don't see any other club picking they're team like this.
On the contrary... Ciraldo highly values players who show an infectious amount of enthusiasm.

JR, JAC, Mahoney and TPJ generally offer this. JR and TPJ however can't do it for long minutes before fatigue and I'll discipline kicks in, so you have to use them sparingly to spark the team but remove them before it starts costing you.

It's unfortunately where we are at with players around them not able to lift themselves let alone the guy next to them.

I don't blame him for using these guys to motivate the team. I blame the individual players who can't lift themselves once heads go down

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I’m over the burton bombs,burton should find touch ,give players time to rest and set,and regroup
Reynolds shouldn’t kick,he Does shitty kicks
Pele needs to stand deep and be used more of a battering ram
Yep.
Against fast moving defence lines, Burton should be grubbering or chipping behind them on 3rd or 4th tackle with our outside backs running at the ball.

Do this early in the game when the defence is rushing and you'll throw their defensive gameplan out the window. They will then hesitate to rush us and will allow us to play conventionally.

It amazes me how modern day halves don't have the tactical nous to combat certain gameplans.

One or two early kicks behind the line and you'll stop them in their tracks.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edwards and Waddell are the only forwards guaranteed a start. However, major changes wont happen because of the "top 30" rule.
Some of the younger players that some have suggested and simply not NRL ready or NRL standard.
The only possible inclusions is Flanagan and Hughes. Wilson can play and will start if JAC is not fit.
Flanagan's defence gets him a start and now I'll probably cop it but that's jmo!!!

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My confidence of making the top 8 is being sorely tested with another disappointing loss but I've been following this game long enough to know there comes a time when you have to give credit to the opposition, in this case Warriors in the way they played.

Don't envy our forwards having to stop such a massive pack that the Warriors have, and they just kept rolling up through the middle and wore our forwards down.

We desperately need to blood more forwards over the next week or two. Luke Thompson is still over a month away from returning and TPJ is improving but needs to stop trying to pass the ball on every play, thought he went OK against the Warriors, tried hard but he needs a lot more support and Preston is another who can hold his head up in a losing side.

Surely we can beat the Titans at home, then we get the bye and hopefully they do what proved successful in the past and take the boys away during the bye, to Darwin or somewhere for a bonding session and just chill and freshen up, as the way they currently look, they look spent.
You are right in that warriors played well and deserve the credit, and that we need a good break to reset our minds and bodies.

But the game I saw against the warriors wasn't just forwards making big metres in the middle. Their backs were running into the ball at speed or running from dummy half against a very lazy and innefective defence from us.

Our middle defence and marker defence was very poor from the outset and this is where CC's focus should be.

Two games now, we have surrendered mammoth metres up the middle and it hasn't been a size issue, but rather a tackle technique and attitude problem

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Th
01. Jake Averillo
02. Jeral Skelton/Blake Wilson
03. Jacob Kiraz
04. Paul Alamoti
05. Josh Addo-Carr
06. Matt Burton
07. Khaled Rajab
08. Max King
09. Reed Mahoney
10. Harrison Edwards
11. Jackson Topine
12. Jacob Preston
13. Corey Waddell

14. Karl Oloapu
15. Jayden Okunbor
16. Tevita Pangai Junior
17. Franklin Pele

Waddell is better in the middle. Okunbor was one of our best this round so gets another chance. TPJ & Pele are given one last chance to improve or they get dropped. Rajab & Topine would bring enthusiasm & try their guts out.
That really is a team I'd get excited about right now.

I think the backline is spot-on with Averillo at the back, Wilson on wing and Rajab in the halves.

Forwards look good too with plenty of punch off the bench. Just need to make sure the middles roll off the tackled player and don't give away too many penalties and six agains.

Titans play fast and like to draw penalties for slow ruck releases.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they saw Reynolds only as a stop gap knowing that Flanagan wouldn’t be retained and until they could blood or buy someone else. That and a bit of PR value. Unfortunately for us, both experiments flopped.
It worked early on.
JR getting picked is like CC saying (without saying it) that his other halves are just not doing their jobs.

It's a backhand swipe at Burton to be honest.

The problem with CC is that he doubled down on the Burton question marks by backing Perham as the first choice fullback. By doing so, he killed off 2 spine positions.

He has Chrichton coming next season now to save some criticism but the jury will be out on that choice as well.

I think he's cornered himself to be honest...

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Edwards can take Suttons role off the bench or slot in at lock. Sutton has been underwhelming another overpaid underperforming recruit. Reportedly paid $500k/yr for at best solid bench forward.
This Sutton slander is getting out of control.

He's never been a metre eater averaging ~96m for his career, but he was keeping our middle a lot tighter when he was playing - no coincidence how soft we've been since he's been gone.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It worked early on.
JR getting picked is like CC saying (without saying it) that his other halves are just not doing their jobs.

The problem with CC is that he doubled down on the Burton question marks by backing Perham as the first choice fullback. By doing so, he killed off 2 spine positions.

He has Chrichton coming next season now to save some criticism but the jury will be out on that choice as well.

He couldn’t sack everyone at once though.
Flanagan was first, Perham is likely next.
He has long term faith in Burto and Reed, probably not elsewhere in the spine.
Agree Critta is a wait and see.
Despite various calls though, we are (or will be by ‘24) overloaded with outside backs so Burton won’t play centre. Our halves and middle are our weaknesses.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
On the contrary... Ciraldo highly values players who show an infectious amount of enthusiasm.

JR, JAC, Mahoney and TPJ generally offer this. JR and TPJ however can't do it for long minutes before fatigue and I'll discipline kicks in, so you have to use them sparingly to spark the team but remove them before it starts costing you.

It's unfortunately where we are at with players around them not able to lift themselves let alone the guy next to them.

I don't blame him for using these guys to motivate the team. I blame the individual players who can't lift themselves once heads go down
But isn't that the coaches' job to lift and prepare them?....if they continually fail to execute to his standards then why pick them?

We do have alternate options where 100% effort, enthusiastic players are available.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It worked early on.

As so many of our recent coaches have done by being too stubborn, or rigid, or loyal, to these guys who don't execute sufficiently well enough.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is it any wonder we suck arse when we have a bench player like Pele who only plays barely 10 minutes .

Thompson out for the season who didn’t offer anything anyway.

TPJ in the transit Lounge between nrl and boxing.

Everyone else is light as a feather they have no mongrel .

Titans then roosters after the bye with our forward pack gonna be tough to win.

Our saving grace will be if ado Carr can make all the plodders around him lift with his yelling.
I sure hope .
Based on what I saw players seem to be turning against each other.
I guess any NRL team seeking to be a top 8 side cannot afford to carry 4 players (Reynolds/Pele/Okunbor/TPJ) in the 17, that are only capable of offering limited value for limited time each week.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I guess any NRL team seeking to be a top 8 side cannot afford to carry 4 players (Reynolds/Pele/Okunbor/TPJ) in the 17, that are only capable of offering limited value for limited time each week.
^^THIS ^^

Selections and/or getting these guys to put in, has been less than optimum.

Last edited:

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No more excuses, middles available this week are 9, that's right 9.

King
TPJ
Pele
RFM
Sutton
Patolo
Hughes
Morrin
Tanner

Get the job done!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As so many of our recent coaches have done by being too stubborn, or rigid, or loyal, to these guys who don't execute sufficiently well enough.
Mis placed loyalty has been an issue - extending contracts out of loyalty to very ordinary players as opposed to finding better, or developing players, has been an issue for a few administrations - Trex Eastwood Lichaa Elliot Lewis RFM

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right in that warriors played well and deserve the credit, and that we need a good break to reset our minds and bodies.

But the game I saw against the warriors wasn't just forwards making big metres in the middle. Their backs were running into the ball at speed or running from dummy half against a very lazy and innefective defence from us.

Our middle defence and marker defence was very poor from the outset and this is where CC's focus should be.

Two games now, we have surrendered mammoth metres up the middle and it hasn't been a size issue, but rather a tackle technique and attitude problem
Yeh true, but it all starts with forwards, if they're moving forward and getting past the advantage line time and time again the rest will follow. If the forwards don't do this, like ours, then the backs don't get a chance to shine.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeh true, but it all starts with forwards, if they're moving forward and getting past the advantage line time and time again the rest will follow. If the forwards don't do this, like ours, then the backs don't get a chance to shine.
And until that is addressed there wont be much to look forwrad to.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perham, Waddell, RFM, Reynolds shouldn’t be near the team next week. Team I wouldn’t mind seeing next week pending fitness.

1. Papali’i
2. JAC
3. Averillo
4. Burton
5. Kiraz
6. Oloapu
7. Hayward
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Sutton
11. Preston
12. Okunbor
13. Morrin

14. Brown
15. Pele
16. TPJ
17. Some young 2nd rower.
1. Wilson / JAC
2. JAC / Wilson
3. Averillo
4. Alamoti
5. Kiraz
6. Oloapu
7. Burton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Sutton
11. Preston
12. Okunbor
13. Morrin

14. Brown
15. Pele
16. TPJ
17. Some young 2nd rower.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it any wonder we suck arse when we have a bench player like Pele who only plays barely 10 minutes .

Thompson out for the season who didn’t offer anything anyway.

TPJ in the transit Lounge between nrl and boxing.

Everyone else is light as a feather they have no mongrel .

Titans then roosters after the bye with our forward pack gonna be tough to win.

Our saving grace will be if ado Carr can make all the plodders around him lift with his yelling.
I sure hope .
Based on what I saw players seem to be turning against each other.
One of our best forwards, Ciraldo still hasn't got the hang of fresh legs interchange.
If Wilson doesn't get the 1 jersey we are fucked.
I only answer to players who score tries.