News “A result of performance”: Ciraldo confirms Bulldogs will consider changes, debutants after Warriors loss

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has confirmed the club will look at making more changes as they look to arrest a slide which has seen five losses in the last six outings.

Only a Round 9 win against the St George Illawarra Dragons in Wollongong has seen the Bulldogs able to put stop to the run of losses, and a public spray from Ciraldo after 34 points were conceded last week against the Canberra Raiders wasn't enough to change fortunes against the Warriors at Homebush on Friday evening.

The Bulldogs fell badly behind early in the contest before ultimately falling 24 points to 12.

Round 11 marks the time where players from outside a club's top 30 are able to be used, and it appears Ciraldo will waste no time in exploring the fringes of the first-grade squad, starting as soon as next Sunday's clash - also at Homebush - against the Gold Coast Titans.

"We will look at making changes. There are some guys there on the fringe of our squad that are really putting their hand up. You saw Blake Wilson come in today and he did an outstanding job. This is the first week we have been able to use a guy like Blake because he is outside the top 30 and once you get to Round 11 you can use blokes outside the top 30 and there are a couple more in that boat as well," Ciraldo said during his post-game press conference.

"It's a result of performance. Clearly if guys are doing their job in the 17, then you don't make too many changes. The teams at the top of the table roll out the same 17 each week because everyone is doing their job.

"When you're in a position where you're not getting those performances consistently, then I've got to look for guys who can provide that performance consistently.

"There are a few guys on the fringe there that now we can use guys outside the Top 30 that we will be looking to bring in."

The rookie coach, who is now presiding over a team sitting third last on the table (and they could be last by the completion of the round if the St George Illawarra Dragons and Wests Tigers both win against the North Queensland Cowboys and South Sydney Rabbitohs respectively on Saturday), slammed his team's first half performance.

"The first half wasn't good enough," Ciraldo said.

"We talked all week about starting fast and just didn't get it done.

"Those three tries were just not what we want to be about, but it is what we are at the moment.

"I thought we responded in the second half, we played better in the second half, but it was way too late. We can't come in, play like that in the first half, wait for half a spray at halftime and then respond in the second half."

Any changes to Canterbury's side for the game against the Titans will be announced at 4pm (AEST) on Tuesday afternoon.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it any wonder we suck arse when we have a bench player like Pele who only plays barely 10 minutes .

Thompson out for the season who didn’t offer anything anyway.

TPJ in the transit Lounge between nrl and boxing.

Everyone else is light as a feather they have no mongrel .

Titans then roosters after the bye with our forward pack gonna be tough to win.

Our saving grace will be if ado Carr can make all the plodders around him lift with his yelling.
I sure hope .
Based on what I saw players seem to be turning against each other.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Did anyone read my predictions of what he would say - damn, I was bang on! lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are too many lazy players out there - a problem we've had for the past six years. Time to do what fans have been appealing for all that time, and give the young pups who are keen to have go, their chance at the top grade.

If some of them fail, they will at least have given us a taste of enthusiasm and guts, which might just spurn some of the lazy plodders into action.
A team of keen players will do better than a mob of layabouts waiting for someone else to do the hard work.

I feel for the players giving their all each week, only to see the marshmallows and plodders give the game away.

We are at a point where season 2023 is gone. It can't do any harm to trial our future first graders now. The Titans will put 40+ on us anyway.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There are too many lazy players out there - a problem we've had for the past six years. Time to do what fans have been appealing for all that time, and give the young pups who are keen to have go, their chance at the top grade.

If some of them fail, they will at least have given us a taste of enthusiasm and guts, which might just spurn some of the lazy plodders into action.
A team of keen players will do better than a mob of layabouts waiting for someone else to do the hard work.

I feel for the players giving their all each week, only to see the marshmallows and plodders give the game away.

We are at a point where season 2023 is gone. It can't do any harm to trial our future first graders now. The Titans will put 40+ on us anyway.
But what are these lazy players doing in the preseason to continue to be selected?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It takes time to Blood players in first grade.
Currently our centres & fullback aren't even their yet.
Our pack lacks go forward.
Can't dominate the middle of the field.
And there is a distinct lack of trust with defenders on their inside shoulder.
Also, why don't they contest every ball in the air. Letting the thing bounce is much harder to defend against.
Anyway, the coach has a shit load of work to do.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Honestly I’m over the burton bombs,burton should find touch ,give players time to rest and set,and regroup
Reynolds shouldn’t kick,he Does shitty kicks
Pele needs to stand deep and be used more of a battering ram

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perham, Waddell, RFM, Reynolds shouldn’t be near the team next week. Team I wouldn’t mind seeing next week pending fitness.

1. Wilson / JAC
2. JAC / Wilson
3. Averillo
4. Alamoti
5. Kiraz
6. Oloapu
7. Burton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Sutton
11. Preston
12. Okunbor
13. Morrin

14. Brown
15. Pele
16. TPJ
17. Some young 2nd rower.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Wilson (earned the shot).
2. JAC
3. Averillo
4. Alamoti
5. Kiraz
6. Oloapu (time to start him).
7. Burton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Pele (Yep, start him)
11. Preston
12. Topine (80 min player. High energy, strong defence. Don't give me this "too small" sh!t. Provides hooker cover)
13. Edwards (Played well in a well-beaten side. Deserves another go. We've been missing a '13' - may as well try this option for a few weeks at least)

14. Okunbor (can cover the back 5. We don't need halves cover. Topine covers hooker. Averillo covers halves. So, no need for a Brown/Reynolds option, etc)
15. Morrin (Again, enough of the too small sh!t. Runs hard, tackles hard, versatile)
16. Sutton
17. Hughes (he's shown some promise. Worth persisting).

Not needed this week: Perham, RFM, TPJ, Grub, & Waddell

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perham, Waddell, RFM, Reynolds shouldn’t be near the team next week. Team I wouldn’t mind seeing next week pending fitness.

1. Wilson / JAC
2. JAC / Wilson
3. Averillo
4. Alamoti
5. Kiraz
6. Oloapu
7. Burton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Sutton
11. Preston
12. Okunbor
13. Morrin

14. Brown
15. Pele
16. TPJ
17. Some young 2nd rower.
Why would pangirl be anywhere near 1st grade. why isn't Reynolds in the 17. Sutton is a plod also.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So disheartening now top 8 will be worlds away we are looking at being 4 wins out of the 8 due to a horrible for and against.
If titans and Cronulla get up 14 points .
Doliphins have bye 14
Seems so out of reach

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With adocarr back this week that leaves only thommo and kikau injured and missing from a possible best 17.
Looking at some of the predicted teams we have still got plenty of work to do to put together a 17 that will seriously challenge for a spot in the 8. Hope Gus springs a few big recruitment calls in the next few months.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are very few cup players who are close to being ready - especially the forwards. IMO, dropping TPJ and RFM will not make us better. Forward depth ain’t there. Bringing a player like Morrin in makes us even smaller and we will be worse. We need a mid season prop signing or two.

Last edited: