Most satisfying Bulldogs game watched live at the Ground, not including GF's

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hands down 1998 Final against Parramatta.
I was there with one other Dogs fan and 5 Parra fans.
They were giving it to us big time. What a comeback. What a feeling of satisfaction. The best game by far.
This!

There with my best mate. Eels fan, copped it for 65 mins, witnessed Dogs fans leaving in droves conceding defeat, scored 3 unanswered tries in last few minutes, all converted from the sidelines by Chook Halligan…..drew the game in normal time (almost won it with a 50m field goal effort), flogged them in extra time.

Fans going ballistic thereafter.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This!

There with my best mate. Eels fan, copped it for 65 mins, witnessed Dogs fans leaving in droves conceding defeat, scored 3 unanswered tries in last few minutes, all converted from the sidelines by Chook Halligan…..drew the game in normal time (almost won it with a 50m field goal effort), flogged them in extra time.

Fans going ballistic thereafter.
Missed the first of those 3 conversions as he rushed it.
It was fucking amazing that last 11 minutes hectic plus.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was only a young teenager at the time but will never forget going to the 1980 GF
Catching a train in from Canterbury to Central that morning then sitting on a packed SCG hill full of doggies fans and what a fantastic try to boot.
Same mate I was 14 went with my old man and younger brother..talk about packed in far out.
I went to a lot of semi finals in 79 and 80 too ahh the entertainers conducted by Ted Glossop, orchestrated by S.Mortimer.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same mate I was 14 went with my old man and younger brother..talk about packed in far out.
I went to a lot of semi finals in 79 and 80 too ahh the entertainers conducted by Ted Glossop, orchestrated by S.Mortimer.
I watched 79 on tv we just fell short but had a fantastic second half the boys had a real dig.
My mates dad who lived down the street took a few of us at the time, we were too young to fly solo lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Beating the Wahs in Wellington 2013

Grub scored the match winner
We were down 16 nil early and ended up wining 24-16

White318

New Pup
Reaction score
Nice thread for my first post!

Definitely for me it would be the last round in 2002 when we got docked for salary cap breaches.

The game was against Brisbane at the Showground at Olympic Park.

I was there with my late grandfather who was a mad doggies supporter and the reason why I go for the doggies.

After we won everyone ran on the oval like we had just won the GF. It was pretty crazy.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I might start a thread regarding the best and most satisfying Bulldogs game watched live at the ground not including Grand Finals.

I've watched a few games over the years where I have been that ecstatic that I was actually overwhelmed with emotion and joy for hours after the game.

I know there have been many, but two games that come to my mind where:

1. Last round of 1991 at Belmore against the Sharks. We needed to win that game to force a midweek playoff against the Magpies in order to play finals footy. We hadn't played in the finals since 1988. Sharks were belting us 16-0, but a second half comeback by the dogs made sure we won the game 26-16. 26 unanswered points. Some of the most entertaining footy we put together and we had the likes of Ewan McGrady, Jonathan Davis, Terry Lamb who just turned it on. I'll never forget that game. We were dead and buried and gone for all money.

2. Round nine 2003 against the Roosters. The Utai Slam! We finished 2002 in last place due to being docked all our points for cheating the cap after leading the comp by a mile and heading for the minor premiership and likely premiership. Roosters won the comp and that round 9 game in 2003 was talked about all week in the media leading into the game. Both clubs knew it was war. The grudge match. It was the real premiers(us) v the fake premiers(them) and we needed to prove we were the real champs. What a game and what a feeling after woods.
Was at The Sharks game .... remember Jonathan Davis making Docking look foolish with one of the best left foot steps you will ever see.

We were shocking in the first half and electrifying in the second.

A game against Manly in the mid seventies comes to mind .... Keith Harris(tough bugger) scored the try of the season off the back of a Normie Thomas 50-yard run.

Three or four other tries were almost as good ... Manly were stacked with stars ... Fulton, Eadie, Reilly, Randell to name a few.

Pulsating atmosphere at both games.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most of the matches I would of put forward have been mentioned - but one that sounds out for me from the more modern times is a game against the Tigers from 2015 - round 4.

Dogs were losing 24- 6 almost halfway through the second half. I remember seeing blokes I know (dogs fans) leaving - thinking it’s over.

We then score 3 tries to close out the game and Mbye hits a field goal in GP to win i

For those who want to remember/re-watch it

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Beastwood vs Souths 2012 Prelim final, the win and drive back to Belmore through Sydney was electric with cars and streets going off through Western Sydney

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Others have said it but nothing will beat the 98 GF Qualifier against Parra. Best game I've ever been to.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kogarah 06 by far. Best output I've ever seen from a forward pack.
Back to belmore v Melbourne. We were on.
Manly semi with the field goal win in 14
All the finals series 04
Was also at kogarah that game. Could feel the hits from our pack. Was brutal

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
94 semi where we beat Canberra was a special game to be at

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
98 from memory another comeback to beat the knights in semis. If that was year etc was a great game to witness live